ParaGuard

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know exactly what is in ParaGuard, and what it successfully (and efficiently) treats? A sales rep from Seachem told me it's "similar" to Furin, but I can't get a straight answer as to active ingredients.

A lot of people swear by it for prophylactic treatment, but I can't find much info on it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned on the label and product page for Paraguard, it contains a "blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers". The exact blend is proprietary so I can't elaborate beyond that, and I've never been able to locate an MSDS for Paraguard.

OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Humble, would I be right in assuming that it's safer to use other medications? I really don't like not knowing what I am putting in the tank...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Humble, would I be right in assuming that it's safer to use other medications? I really don't like not knowing what I am putting in the tank...

I wouldn't dose malachite green into a DT with corals/inverts. Most people I know who use Paraguard, do so in a bath treatment. For example, one LFS I advise gives all incoming fish a 30 min dip using Paraguard as they are drip acclimating into his retail system. Now, I can't say what Paraguard does or does not do... whether or not it provides any benefit. But I rarely, if ever, see visible signs of disease when I visit his store. o_O

OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose malachite green into a DT with corals/inverts. Most people I know who use Paraguard, do so in a bath treatment. For example, one LFS I advise gives all incoming fish a 30 min dip using Paraguard as they are drip acclimating into his retail system. Now, I can't say what Paraguard does or does not do... whether or not it provides any benefit. But I rarely, if ever, see visible signs of disease when I visit his store. o_O
Interesting... so he puts ParaGuard into the container while the fish is drop acclimating? Obviously the concentration would decrease over the course of the acclimation.

Edit: and yes, I'm talking about ParaGuards uses in a fish only QT... I would never put it in my DT either. ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... so he puts ParaGuard into the container while the fish is drop acclimating? Obviously the concentration would decrease over the course of the acclimation.

Yes; although I'm unsure of the concentration he uses.

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I might raise this thread again, since the efficacy of Paraguard as a formalin/formaldehyde replacement seems, at best, to be uncertain. In searching this forum I also did not any see recent discussion on its make up. So I thought I would share the MSDS indicating Glutaraldehyde as the principle ingredient.

https://smhttp-ssl-29106.nexcesscdn.net/media/docs/616-MSDS-Sheet.pdf

Are there any recent thoughts out there in the reef2reef universe regarding the use of Glutaraldehyde as a medication and actually what specific conditions it treats? I love Seachem products, but their Paraguard product information smacks of vague marketing fluff and does not come off as a serious description of its application.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back