Parameter check + a question

TwinTurboSnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Today is day 7, is today a good day to do a water change? How much do you recommend? Tank is 69 gallons, sump capacity is 20 but operating level is more like 12-13 gallons. So let’s say 83 total gallons.

Have two Damsels and two Mocha Clowns ,still thinking of names for Damsels but clown fish are Flotsom and Jetsam.

parameters today -

SG:1.026
Salinity:34.4 (ATO decided to let loose earlier this week and dropped it to 32, so I raised it but I guess not by enough!)
Temp: 78.6 F
NH3/NH4: 0-.2
NO2: 0.05
NO3: 5
pH: 8.4
Alk: ??

I’m not sure I understand the instructions from Red Sea, will need to first understand what titration is, then I will know how to do this test lol.

Given the low ammonia and nitrite, and larger amount of nitrate, is it water change time?

Thanks!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Day #7 of a newly set up system?

If this is a new system, what do you have in the system? Live rock? have you add a solutions to cycle the tank?

I would suggest to wait another week maybe till week four, before starting water changes. Once you start adding clean-up crew, around 30 days, then I would suggest to start water changes. Around 45 days you can try a fish.

Water changes are for adding Ca. Mg, and Alk to replenish the Ca. Alk, and Mg for the corals and Coraline to grow. this if you are not dosing and to get rid of waist.

I know the feeling of looking at a new system with nothing going on. Patients and soon you will be busy adding, adjusting, and watching the system go through the ugly stages until the system can be balanced.

Have a great day!! :)

OP
OP
T

TwinTurboSnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Day #7 of a newly set up system?

If this is a new system, what do you have in the system? Live rock? have you add a solutions to cycle the tank?

I would suggest to wait another week maybe till week four, before starting water changes. Once you start adding clean-up crew, around 30 days, then I would suggest to start water changes. Around 45 days you can try a fish.

Water changes are for adding Ca. Mg, and Alk to replenish the Ca. Alk, and Mg for the corals and Coraline to grow. this if you are not dosing and to get rid of waist.

I know the feeling of looking at a new system with nothing going on. Patients and soon you will be busy adding, adjusting, and watching the system go through the ugly stages until the system can be balanced.

Have a great day!! :)
Yes, this is brand spanking new,

I have like a 70/30 mix of Marco and “live” rock from the lfs (probably not enough rock but like 60lbs total)
“Live” sand Caribsea Arag alive
Fritz turbo 900
Microbacter 7

lfs owner implied heavily I needed fish to cycle with the Fritz product so we did bring home 2 Damsels and 2 Clown fish.

Rock came with hitchhikers from lfs. Hermit crabs to be specific. They put the rock in the bag without water and a Blenny and like 3 hermits came along. Blenny was dead unfortunately.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back