Parameter help

Erino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having spikes in ammonia and can’t seem to keep it down. It started about a week ago, and I did an immediate 50% water change. Next morning, ammonia was lower but still present, I didn’t have time to do a water change but by the night, it was back up, so I did another change. It followed this cycle for about 3 days when I started using Kent’s ammonia detox to help. And it did, I got ammonia back to zero for about a day and today, guess what’s back? All my fish are present and the only thing I can think that has died is a hermit crab.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having spikes in ammonia and can’t seem to keep it down. It started about a week ago, and I did an immediate 50% water change. Next morning, ammonia was lower but still present, I didn’t have time to do a water change but by the night, it was back up, so I did another change. It followed this cycle for about 3 days when I started using Kent’s ammonia detox to help. And it did, I got ammonia back to zero for about a day and today, guess what’s back? All my fish are present and the only thing I can think that has died is a hermit crab.

What test kit are you using? Keep in mind that most ammonia test kits will give false positives after using ammonia detoxifiers.

How old is the tank? Has it been fully cycled?

You may want to dose biospira or some bacteria in a bottle to help your biofilter.

OP
OP
Erino

Erino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using api saltwater, the tank cycled for 8 weeks before I added any livestock, and it’s been running for about 6 months. I just don’t want to stress the fish out with these massive water changes everyday

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using api saltwater, the tank cycled for 8 weeks before I added any livestock, and it’s been running for about 6 months. I just don’t want to stress the fish out with these massive water changes everyday

API will measure total ammonia and result in false positives after adding detoxifiers.

I would add bacteria in a bottle and wait a few days.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Most petco’s have BioSpira. I add some every time I add fish.
API will measure total ammonia and result in false positives after adding detoxifiers.

I would add bacteria in a bottle and wait a few days.

OP
OP
Erino

Erino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallons, 2 clowns, 2 3 stripe damsels, a green mandarin, and 10 hermits.

Dexter_SA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have ammonia spikes it basically means you dont have enough bacteria to convert the ammonia to nitrite then nitrate. Adding some bacteria will help but that will be a costly excercise. Maybe focus on adding some more rock.

OP
OP
Erino

Erino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the bio-spira, and added it to the tank... how long should I wait before retesting?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the bio-spira, and added it to the tank... how long should I wait before retesting?
2 days at least otherwise you will still get false test reports

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back