Parameters good but... Corals not

SizilStank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, new to saltwater reef tanks. All my parameters are good or so i think. Im using the api test kits (ph is 8.4, ammonia is 0ppm, nitrite is 0ppm, nitrate is 0ppm, calcium is 480, and alk is 8dkh). My has been cycling for 3 months. Its 30 gal cube. I have a protein skimmer and a media reactor with gfo and activated carbon. I have two clownfish and 4 corals. My question is two are really happy one is a green star (looks like really green grass) and the happy one is a zoa. The other two im not sure both are soft corals though. The other two closed and wont open. I do have an algae bloom right now. Any ideas? Ill attach some pics. I have 13 new corals coming tomorrow aswell. I probably jumped the gun on the new corals.

20210427_163114.jpg 20210427_163109.jpg 20210427_163103.jpg 20210427_163058.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrate is bad unless you feed the corals daily. Consider feeding something like an amino acid mix (acropower, brightwell koral amino, etc). Try to have a detecable amount or simply feed the corals daily someting that all of them should eat ie amino mixes

You also need a phosphate test kit (avoid api phosphate test)

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. I keep my nitrates between 10 and 20. Also tank is still pretty young. Usually corals don't really thrive until the tank matures a little.

OP
OP
S

SizilStank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrate is bad unless you feed the corals daily. Consider feeding something like an amino acid mix (acropower, brightwell koral amino, etc). Try to have a detecable amount or simply feed the corals daily someting that all of them should eat ie amino mixes

You also need a phosphate test kit (avoid api phosphate test)
I have been feeding once a week with reef roids. And reef trace.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. Need the nitrates up a bit more, but new tank takes time. Yes 13 more may well be jumping the gun... I guess it gives you an opportunity to feed a bit more. Definitely watch parameters very closely once those new corals go in!

OP
OP
S

SizilStank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try increasing feedings. Even smaller amounts daily would probably be better imo, rather than bigger portions once a week.
That sounds good. Ill try that. Im sure once my new corals come in ill be testing water like every day. I appreciate all the help!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed phyto daily and my No3 is steady at 5 and Po4 20-25, 75 gallon mixed reef 6 years old. Test daily when you add corals. Eventually you will now when to cut down on testing for some params. dKH I test and dose daily. Stop with the GFO and carbon. Until you get some Po4 and No3. Fish I feed twice a day, mostly quality flake variety and frozen 2 or 3 times a week.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use carbon on occasion, like odors, tint to water, coral warfare etc. I have never used GFO but I here it can strip your water of nutrients, I have my skimmer overflow going into filter compartment to catch large gunk and keep some nutrients in tank.

Carbon will most likely strip phyto and amino acids from water.

OP
OP
S

SizilStank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use carbon on occasion, like odors, tint to water, coral warfare etc. I have never used GFO but I here it can strip your water of nutrients, I have my skimmer overflow going into filter compartment to catch large gunk and keep some nutrients in tank.

Carbon will most likely strip phyto and amino acids from water.
I guess i just got too ambitious and wanted to have a nice setup that would help keep the water good. I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. I might go tomorrow and get a cuc for all the algae.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard from some here that their clams suffered when they use Reef Roids, so I don't use it because I have a clam. I use Coral Dust from Fauna Marin with good results so far.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard from some here that their clams suffered when they use Reef Roids, so I don't use it. I use Coral Dust from Fauna Marin with good results so far.
I guess i just got too ambitious and wanted to have a nice setup that would help keep the water good. I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. I might go tomorrow and get a cuc for all the algae.
Nothing wrong with that, but as they say nothing good happens fast. Go slow and research everything you plan on doing to your reef before you do it. I had my share of problems.

OP
OP
S

SizilStank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard from some here that their clams suffered when they use Reef Roids, so I don't use it. I use Coral Dust from Fauna Marin with good results so far.

Nothing wrong with that, but as they say nothing good happens fast. Go slow and research everything you plan on doing to your reef before you do it. I had my share of problems.
Definitely will from now on! Thanks for the help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reef roids generally impact nitrate and PO4. Are you by chance using API test kits? If so, you may be getting false readings and not realizing your levels are higher than indicated.
Nitrates vary. In my tank, nitrates are .323 and in a mixed reef setting have this:

660g 3.30a.jpg

OP
OP
S

SizilStank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids generally impact nitrate and PO4. Are you by chance using API test kits? If so, you may be getting false readings and not realizing your levels are higher than indicated.
Nitrates vary. In my tank, nitrates are .323 and in a mixed reef setting have this:

660g 3.30a.jpg
I am using API and you are not the first or second person to say that. What kit should I use?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 46 gallon bowfront that was about 4-5 years old until I upgrade to 75 last November.
#2 from last month.

Attachments

• 2020 2.jpg
    2020 2.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 2021-3-18 16-35-14~2[1221].jpg
    2021-3-18 16-35-14~2[1221].jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 43

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back