Parasites

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow pyramid butterfly has, what appears to be red flukes on him. Are these flukes or something else?

I did a fw dip and they all came off. After they're Id'd, will general cure kill them all?
d8d9dda10e1a6850ce316312fa4fe5ec.jpg

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is flukes, is it even worth treating the tank? Or should I simply keep the fish healthy

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure should kill the flukes, it needs to be done in a separate tank, I believe, since metronidazole isn't reef safe.

You can use prazipro in the display, it could kill worms or feather dusters so habe water on hand in case deaths cause an ammonia spike.

I would dose, that's quite a few coming off that 1 fish. There are prazi resistant strains but hopefully that's not what you have there.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure should kill the flukes, it needs to be done in a separate tank, I believe, since metronidazole isn't reef safe.

You can use prazipro in the display, it could kill worms or feather dusters so habe water on hand in case deaths cause an ammonia spike.

I would dose, that's quite a few coming off that 1 fish. There are prazi resistant strains but hopefully that's not what you have there.

Ordering prazipro now.. Thank you!

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated tank with prazi twice on two separate occasions and I still have them.. May be resistant strain

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated tank with prazi twice on two separate occasions and I still have them.. May be resistant strain

How far apart did you dose?
The general consensus nowadays seems to be at least 2 rounds but preferably 3 rounds 5-7 days apart.
Unfortunately it seems like prazi resistant flukes seem to be getting more and more common (at least for me). I have had to deal with them twice in the last 6 months. Ultimately I ended up doing hyposalinity (1.009) in a qt for 5 days.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed two rounds every five days on two separate occasions.. At least they just seem to be staying on the skin and not in the gills... If that's even a good thing. There's no way I can take out and treat all my fish, so I may just over kill with water changes, vitamin c, etc so that way their immune systems Win the battle [emoji53]

I ran hypo in my display not too long ago and it did wonders.. All aiptasia gone, vermited snails and asterina gone, flukes and most of the ich. But I introduced a new fish into the take that apparently had flukes and now I'm back to square one.. I thought he was healthy.. I thought wrong [emoji19]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to treat all fish with hypo, but I've taken my tank apart so many times I think I may try another route..

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like Neobenedenia sp. - very tough to kill with praziquantel. They are a real pain in the butt. Hyposalinity at <15ppt (SG 1.010) for 5-7 days is the most reliable way to kill them (including the eggs).

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like Neobenedenia sp. - very tough to kill with praziquantel. They are a real pain in the butt. Hyposalinity at <15ppt (SG 1.010) for 5-7 days is the most reliable way to kill them (including the eggs).

Great.. A hypo resistant strain of ich and now this [emoji849]. At least it's not velvet..

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other treatments other than prazi that can be added to the display

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than feeding metroplex with focus or kanaplex with focus for internal parasites and infections, I'm not aware of any.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... So I'm going to try and catch all my fish and put them in a separate tank and run hypo while having the display be fallow for a while to eradicate all parasites... Only problem is my green mandarin. Do they usually get parasites? I know he'll die from starving in the quarantine tank... Or should I leave him in the display?

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask if the metro would get rid of them. Reefsafe if you use focus to bind it to the food.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... So I'm going to try and catch all my fish and put them in a separate tank and run hypo while having the display be fallow for a while to eradicate all parasites... Only problem is my green mandarin. Do they usually get parasites? I know he'll die from starving in the quarantine tank... Or should I leave him in the display?

Unfortunately, they can absolutely harbor parasites. I honestly don't know the best method for the mandarin. I bought a dozen bottles/pouches/bags from various sources for my scooter dragonet, who ate frozen and pellets too, and he still starved during ttm/hypo.

#reefsquad any advice?

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask if the metro would get rid of them. Reefsafe if you use focus to bind it to the food.

Metro will treat brook when dosed in the water but that wouldn't be reef safe. Bound with focus it'll only treat internal parasites.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back