ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
768da47063687a81966b8c45d31b7459.jpg

356d79f8552a3228d697e91abd50f1ba.jpg

Title speaks for itself. It seems at times that the fish is paler than it should be, and as you can see in the picture there are small black spots. They are not covering the fish and it was about a week ago that I noticed it. Parameters are all in check, all the way across the board. After adding the fish to my DT (which I am setting up a 20G QT tomorrow) it did some scratching and spent a good bit of time at Jesus' (my cleaner shrimp, he walks on the underside of the waters surface lol) cleaning station. I would have expected it to have spread. Any input?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to do a freshwater dip to confirm black ich before treating. If you can catch him do this:

Instead of the white flakes swirling around, the black dots should come off the fish during the dip. You may not see them in the water, but you should be able to see that they are gone afterward.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a multiple day effort of attempting to net the little guy I have failed, miserably. He is just to fast, and immune to my attempts of baiting and waiting. It seems like the symptoms have not in any way become more prominent, no more specs. With that said they have not subsided in any way either. Do I need to rip my tank apart and catch him for a dip or is there a potentially alternative method? Treating the tank with Prazi potentially? I have read many accounts of people dosing their display with it. I have no corals either so nothing to worry about there.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has once again alluded my attempts to capture entirely.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it unless you are still seeing black specks.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is still black specks, not anymore than had been seen before. Potentially more in the beginning. No persistent flashing or scratching either. Eats like a champ. I feel as though he has to be uncomfortable as most of the time he is very pale. While occasionally he is colored, and at times very dark.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is still black specks, not anymore than had been seen before. Potentially more in the beginning. No persistent flashing or scratching either. Eats like a champ. I feel as though he has to be uncomfortable as most of the time he is very pale. While occasionally he is colored, and at times very dark.

In your OP, I don't see enough definitive black dots to say those are turbellarians. Can you post a more recent picture?

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7267fbeecdab65f42fe7415bcb55b8dc.jpg

So in this picture you can see the black above his fin and behind the gill. As for the stripe now that is new since the last time I was chasing him around the tank. Could it have scratched itself getting away from me? How big of a problem is that or is it potentially related to the spots.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture quality isn't the greatest he doesn't like to sit still. I may have caught him with a dull metal scraper. The stainless blades that come with the Kent pro scraper. Should have swapped it out to the felt pad attachment but nonetheless. So idk if that may be what the mark come from I'm not sure what their injuries look like.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to do a freshwater dip to confirm black ich before treating. If you can catch him do this:

Instead of the white flakes swirling around, the black dots should come off the fish during the dip. You may not see them in the water, but you should be able to see that they are gone afterward.

Hey thanks for the awesome reply and video! Came up with an idea to isolate him to one side of the tank and only needing to move one rock out. Kind of awaiting another response moving forward with this.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During dip
e46832668b6834410cbc5ae79417c8c2.jpg

Directly after dip
92e43f4e0b6a0ee51a8fb356370dc97d.jpg

Five or ten minutes after dip
435cbb119992316fab8148eb265cc0ce.jpg

You'll see the white spot in the last photo, along. With what seems like long fibrous cotton like white strands coming from its gills. Not sure if the strands come from the net or from the FW dip or not.

What should I do now, or look for?

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the picture again it's hard to tell which white dot I am referring to. He is turned the other way inside the pile of rocks I had to shuffle to corner him. Will try and get another picture shortly.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suspecting a bacterial infection at this point as the spots behind the gill are much larger than little specks and don't seems to be protruding in any way.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the black specks completely gone now?

I'm not sure what that white dot is. Might just be where he rubbed up against some rocks or got slightly damaged in the net.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back