OP
reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so tonight I got the plumbing somewhat done. I was having some issues getting the plumbing to snap into the brackets provided by RS. Was also trying to figure how my tank should sit on this stand. As you'll see in the pictures, the tank is a good 1/2" larger then the mat provided on top of the stand. In order for the plumbing to hit the brackets I needed to have the back of the tank sitting as pictured below, hanging off. Unfortunately this made for a gap near the bottom of the overflow where you could see through to the plumbing. I've since adjusted the tank to be flush in the back and while also flush with the cabinets in the front, the half inch glass does not sit on anything.

Installing the @Vivid Creative Aquatics reefer return upgrade was very simple. Thank you for making it that way! Looking forward to how they work. More to come tomorrow. First thing is to support my floor, then pick up what I need to hang the new light. I did peek at it, the ballasts way a ton. My current tank has definitely hit some new tank syndrome. Cyano outbreak and I'm not sure if it's from the Vibrant or the lack of macro growing in the Skimz reactor. One thing I can reflect on is that in the past I always kept my tanks simple and had success. I over thought the 40 gallon and added to much too soon. Reactors and chemicals. I have three fish, a peppermint shrimp, three emerald crabs and a handful of frags(I bought way too soon). In an attempt to do this right I may lose some of them, but in the end, I believe it will be better in the long run.

So... next steps.
1. Secure floor to handle weight
2. Level tank in position
3. Hang light - have not received bulbs, but planning a short black out
4. Starboard arrives Saturday. Need to cut section for overflow and silicone to bottom of tank. 24hr cure.
5. Aquascape - 40lbs of new caribsea life rock to play with. How long can current live rock be out of water before I should worry? I'd like to epoxy some of that as well.
6. Plumb UV Sterilizer into return
7. Water test
8. Hang fuge light
9. Make the move!

Somewhere in there is build panel to hold controllers as well.

525 b.jpg

tank.jpg

525xl f.jpg

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing the @Vivid Creative Aquatics reefer return upgrade was very simple. Thank you for making it that way!

Somewhere in there is build panel to hold controllers as well.

525 b.jpg

tank.jpg

525xl f.jpg

Glad you like the easy install - it might be one of the easiest accessories to install on this awesome tank.
Congrats on the win, and looking forward to seeing water in this build.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you filled it to make sure it won't leak? Beautiful tank. You can use your existing tank to quarantine all those corals you will be getting. ;)

Shelley

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay more progress today. Turns out my 90 year old house doesnt have very level floors. Not even close. I was a bit worried having the legs on the stand they send at full extension. They are only 1/4" bolts. So I cut some shims and got the tank level. Also add some support to the floor from the basement. We're now level.

Measured and marked the ceiling for my diy light hanging. Unfortunately the toggle boots I bought failed, so that is on hold until the morning.

In an attempt to get my uv mounted in the cabinet I realized it would be very difficult with the limited space. So in addition to the new hanging hardware I'll be replumbing the return to fit the UV. Hopefully good news and pictures tomorrow.

Current tank has encountered some sort of algae or bacteria outbreak so I'm looking forward to the fresh start. Sent water off for testing at Triton. The water here is very hard and I'm sceptical that my four stage rodi may not be sufficient. More too come!!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also save money by wedding the new tank with sponges from the old tank. It is my preferred way to get a tank cycled. Ours is an older home also. But luckily my tank is in an addition we built and tested up for tanks. ;)

Shelley

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also save money by wedding the new tank with sponges from the old tank. It is my preferred way to get a tank cycled. Ours is an older home also. But luckily my tank is in an addition we built and tested up for tanks. ;)

Shelley
What do you mean by wedding the new tank with sponges?

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Ive got rock and some other media soaking in the old tank but if the water test isnt great then I wont be using it unfortunately. My TDS meter registers in the 1000s for the water here before the rodi. It is 0 after but four stage I'm sure its missing something. Or atleast that's what I'm blaming my current issue on.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that putting sponges from the old tank into the new tank would be enough to foul up new water. I have used some pretty dirty looking sponges to jump start quarantine tanks with great success. I still monitor ammonia of course. But I do think the media would need to be soaking for a very long time before it would be of much help. I use the sponge from HOB filter, which is usually filthy, to start quarantine tanks. Good luck with all the tests. The stand looks great in white.

Shelley

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this may be the most stressful part of starting a tank lol

Hard to see but I'm liking the floating shelf look.

FedEx decided to take my starboard on a vacation trip so that isnt arriving until Wednesday. Hopefully get wet next weekend.
20181125_171236.jpeg

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyber Monday victim. Went ahead before getting my water tests back and ordered the 7 stage RODI and a DoS to setup auto water changes. Still working out the details of UV plumbing. Starboard was due tomorrow, but huge winter storm here so I'm sure that will be delayed further. New rock is soaking in some RODI. More to come...

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few items I'll have available once the new tank is up and running. Will post here for now and move to Selling forum once packaged. But first dibs here if people can wait a couple of weeks.

4 Stage RODI - $120 Shipped - Used 3 months
Skimz MBR127 Reactor - $140 shipped - works great, but will require some acrylic glue(dropped by previous owner, can send pic)
Two Wireless MP10WQDs and one compatible - will have to check dates, one is brand new, one is older but with little use as my tank was down for two years and one purchased on here from another member. $500 takes them all or $200ea (debating keeping one for in sump)
36" Aquatic Life t5/led hybrid - 3 months use - I have eight bulbs that go with it, four still in the tube they shipped to me in. It's been modified to be one cord(15' long) $225 shipped

Shoot me a PM, won't turn down any decent offer.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back