OP
reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Apex, but don't trust the probe. There is about a 2 degree difference between my heater's display and the apex. Did you find the inkbird pretty accurate out of the box or did you have to calibrate?

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my water test back from Triton on the 40g that was running previously. Helps me to know what is in my horrible water. I have upgraded to a 7 stage since sending this, but I'm curious if that will pull out these metals?

triton1.PNG

triton2.PNG

triton3.PNG

triton4.PNG

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll just have to send off another test.

This morning I had a dedicated circuit run in the house for the fish tank. Older house had a lot of outlets on one circuit. Now I can be worry free.

Trying to get some movement in the tank while I wait for it to settle and be ready for coral. I'd like to get my bio-load in ahead of time and monitor all the necessary levels.

Currently I have the two clowns and a yellow tang.

Looking at adding a powder brown, a sailfin, 5-6 blue/green chromis and a dottyback.

Last round in a couple months would be possibly a foxface and a wrasse. Looking at anthias, but not sure on that yet.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so a quick update. I purchased the cebu sun from aquacave. It ships direct from Hamilton. Since I have had it in have not been able to get both halides to fire up. One side worked for a while and not the other. So I swapped the bulbs to see if that was the issue and the same bulb fired up. So I contact Hamilton and after them saying well we test everything they did decide to ship me a new bulb and ask that i return the old. No problem.

Tonight as I get home I thought I'd try it again. I had a dedicated circuit ran for the tank and only need to plug in my apex and one power strip that controls my return and gyres. To my surprise only the bulb I thought was bad fires up. Now I'm stumped. Call Hamilton and he basically tells me that he doesnt know how to help me. When I mention apex he says I should plug directly into the wall. That didn't change anything either.

Anyone have any idea why only one side would fire? Ive seen both light up but not together. Pretty disappointing.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll just have to send off another test.

This morning I had a dedicated circuit run in the house for the fish tank. Older house had a lot of outlets on one circuit. Now I can be worry free.

Trying to get some movement in the tank while I wait for it to settle and be ready for coral. I'd like to get my bio-load in ahead of time and monitor all the necessary levels.

Currently I have the two clowns and a yellow tang.

Looking at adding a powder brown, a sailfin, 5-6 blue/green chromis and a dottyback.

Last round in a couple months would be possibly a foxface and a wrasse. Looking at anthias, but not sure on that yet.

The foxface should go in before any tangs.

Foxface are very mild and timid and tangs do not take new herbivores lightly.

Your yellow tang will definitely not like it.

Many will say they have their poison spines and can hold their ground. That is not totally true. Spines do nothing when being tail slapped

My personal experience as well as others.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I already had a yellow tang. Ordered a powder brown and a sailfin from live aquaria. Supposed to be medium powder is definitely at least a large. He didnt arrive in great condition with his head out of water and trying to jump out. Has yet to eat and was swimming into rocks the first two nights. Now just laps and laps around the tank. Sailfin is tiny but hasn't stopped eating since he went in. Everyone is getting along great. Will try to get pictures.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just over a week into the tank. I have to say running UV has a noticeable difference. The tank is crisp and very clean. I've yet to have to do anything to clean the glass. I did manage to get the light fully functional. DoS is now setup changing 2gal of water per day, I may increase this to 3gal to get a good 10% swapped per week. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in how loud the DoS is. I mounted it in my basement below the tank and can still here it through the floor.

When I moved tanks I added some Fritz 900 Turbo start. I've been adding Zeobak 2x's per week, Lugol's 3 drops daily, and microbacter7 daily at the recommended dose. UV runs on same light schedule as my display lights and shuts off at night. Reef Octopus 202s is slightly louder then I like, but it may be the fact I put it together :) either way it is working great. Most of my frags didn't make the transition, but three or four did and i'm okay with that. It will be several months before I add anything other then LPS and Softies around the bottom. Original plan was strict SPS, but will of this room I've changed my mind to attempt a mixed reef.

I did order two more filter socks to replace the media cups for now. They are letting too much detritus into my sump. Other than that, thanks for following along so far.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all and Happy Monday... so the diatoms don't appear like they will last long. We're quickly moving into the green hairy stuff. Quick 15gal water change this weekend and replaced media cups with more mesh socks. Everyone is happy. Just the waiting game :)

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three tangs have made quick work of the hairy stuff. Few corals that made the move are doing great. And finally got the fuge going. Algae barn shipment arrived while I was gone so hoping some light after 5 days without will help the lettuce. Not much room in the cabinet of the red sea tanks.
20181223_202903.jpeg

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone,

Wanted to add a few pictures and get a few opinions this morning.

According to my apex my pH has been around 7.8 (give or take). I'd like to back this up with a test kit, but looking for recommendations. If this is accurate what is a good way to raise it? Red Sea ATO is gravity fed, so I'm not sure that Kalk will work? I don't have room under the cabinet for more equipment to run a stirrer or scrubber.

Few pics of things doing alright... (hard to get under the MH's) Tangs have a little more green algae to work on and the tank will be clear.

20181225_193608.jpg

20181225_193615.jpg

20181225_193541.jpg

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few updates to add... pictures to come when I get home tomorrow.

Ended up buying a frag pack on here that was just too good to turn down. 18 frags for 250 shipped and they are great pieces. Acclimated well and got them all in their spots last night for the most part.

Upgraded return pump in route. Had a Jecod 6000, which just wasn't making good use of the RFG's I added. So purchased a 10,000 and it should arrive Thursday.

Spoke with John from reefcleaners last night and he said he'd get me out a custom cleanup crew today. My live rock from the old tank looks great, but the new rock and starboard bottom is getting all kinds of colors, plus cyano and diatoms. Not a lot more to report.

Happy Reefing!

Daniel 123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
congrats on the win, your new aqua scape looks great too, gives an avante garde and relaxed feeling/flow. oh yea your garage looks like a fun place to work not much need for that tv. anyway best of luck with your tank I hope you keep up with your water and when I stop by again I look forward to seeing some frag growth, I now look at guys with frags as confident reef aquarists as it definitely takes a lot of work to keep up with them and their growth, anywho

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is going very well. One frag lost, but not sure the reason behind it. Chaeto also lost... i'm not a fuge expert so I'd love some advice... What am I missing to have a successful fuge? Will look for some threads on here.

Here's my light: Is this the problem?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0776SXJSS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said I haven't put anything else in the fuge area until I know what I'm doing a bit more. Few small stragglers of sea lettuce remain. Clean up crew has made good work of the algae that was growing on the new rock and starboard. Also tested adding 4ml of Vinegar every 12 hours. Seems to be helping a lot. Will get some new pics up soon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back