Paul’s 240 gallon upgrade!

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my skimmer pump is down for the count. The VarioS6 S seems to display the “15 Min” and “60 Min” LED which is an error code. The impeller isn’t spinning, even after a good cleaning. It just vibrates and gets spinning then immediately stops. I’ll contact Reef Octopus and see what can be done.

Within first month of using my varios 6, I was getting flashing 15 and 60 min lights. The float switch was faulty. Company sent me a new float switch.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within first month of using my varios 6, I was getting flashing 15 and 60 min lights. The float switch was faulty. Company sent me a new float switch.

Yes. I read somewhere else, too, that the float switch can cause problems. In my case, it was the pump as I don’t even utilize the float switch.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First three days away from home have been rather good. I don’t want to jinx myself but reports from the home front have been positive. Fish are all happy, what’s remaining of my original frag haul is doing well and I also added two monti’s before I left. Sunset and mystic sunset money from a LFS called ReefCo.

I’m also considering a maintenance company to visit the house to double check everything. Although, with the controller, there isn’t really much to check on except Alk, Cal and clean the glass. Possibly empty the skimmer cup.

Speaking of Alk and calcium, while calcium is slowly coming down from my initial overdose, my Alk has been rock solid over the last 4 days at 8.34 so hopefully this means I’m getting back in the swing of things!

0BFCDAA7-7464-4BA5-82AD-5734E4D682DF.png

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home from a weeklong training event yesterday and got a few things done. Alkalinity is not as steady as I thought but still within where I’m comfortable keeping it. 8.9dkh as of this morning.

Calcium is back down to a more reasonable level at 430 and nitrate is at 10 with phosphates hanging around .17

There’s a dusting of some green algae on the sand that the tangs and fox face are not super interested in. I’m thinking of sifting the sand a bit and getting something like a diamond goby or two to get things clean. I’ve also considered dosing Vibrant. Not completely convinced in this yet.

Made a fresh 60 gallons of saltwater and cleaned up the sump stuff. Next week, I’ll be installing the carbon reactor and working in some code to check my back up heating elements are working over the winter. My new toy is due to arrive tomorrow! Of course, I’m away for a week so I’ll share that with the 3 people reading this next week.

Spoke with an aquarium mx company! They’ll be coming over for a consult next week so if any of you have any questions I should be asking drop them here!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update man!

Regarding the sand sifting- I have 3 big tiger conchs coming out of qt on oct 2. Judging by how much they churn up the qt sand, they’ll do a good job in DT. I’m going to supplemt with 1-2 more, plus 4 golf ball sized Onyx nassarius snails. these things are crazy looking when they emerge from the sand and the trail they leave looks like a wave wake. Other than maybe a cucumber, I’m not sure what else to get to churn the sandbed. Not a fan of the idea of doing 12sqft manually

Next week, installing the “carbon reactor”. Did you mean Calcium? What are your plans for that? I’m probably going that fit route you talked about, but I don’t have any demand right now, so it can wait.

What’s this new toy you’ve got coming?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update man!

Regarding the sand sifting- I have 3 big tiger conchs coming out of qt on oct 2. Judging by how much they churn up the qt sand, they’ll do a good job in DT. I’m going to supplemt with 1-2 more, plus 4 golf ball sized Onyx nassarius snails. these things are crazy looking when they emerge from the sand and the trail they leave looks like a wave wake. Other than maybe a cucumber, I’m not sure what else to get to churn the sandbed. Not a fan of the idea of doing 12sqft manually

Next week, installing the “carbon reactor”. Did you mean Calcium? What are your plans for that? I’m probably going that fit route you talked about, but I don’t have any demand right now, so it can wait.

What’s this new toy you’ve got coming?

Oh crap. I didn’t even think of conchs. I had 3 of them in my 125 and they did some work! Thanks for reminding me man!

Next week will be just a carbon media reactor and bring the UV back online. The calcium reactor will be a project for when I can dedicate some time to it. Currently in SoFlo

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck bro!!!

What are you doing for QT?
I’ve been looking at Humblefishes TTM plus hydrogen peroxide hybrid. Seems too good to be true, lol

Regular TTM on a 72 hour transfer schedule, for 4 rounds, but you do a 75ppm hydrogen peroxide addition for 30 minutes beforehand you do transfer 1 and 3. Two treatments 6 days apart (to take care of flukes that came from eggs that survived first treatment) Turn off all pumps and flow until it’s still, then add the h2o2. 30 minutes, net fish into new ttm tank

Apparently take some care of EVERYTHING!

I’m trying to confirm if anthias, dragonets and flasher wrasses are responsive to this. Imagine being able to feed a dragonet pods in an unmedicated ttm tank and take care of pathogens with the h2o2!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck bro!!!

What are you doing for QT?
I’ve been looking at Humblefishes TTM plus hydrogen peroxide hybrid. Seems too good to be true, lol

Regular TTM on a 72 hour transfer schedule, for 4 rounds, but you do a 75ppm hydrogen peroxide addition for 30 minutes beforehand you do transfer 1 and 3. Two treatments 6 days apart (to take care of flukes that came from eggs that survived first treatment) Turn off all pumps and flow until it’s still, then add the h2o2. 30 minutes, net fish into new ttm tank

Apparently take some care of EVERYTHING!

I’m trying to confirm if anthias, dragonets and flasher wrasses are responsive to this. Imagine being able to feed a dragonet pods in an unmedicated ttm tank and take care of pathogens with the h2o2!

thanks! I’m going with the standard 14 day QT followed by Prazi. Spoke with Kyle last night and he had some pointers so I’m off to the fish store for food while they acclimate. So far, haven’t lost one! lol

dude. That sounds interesting.I wish I could try TTM but I’m not home long enough to do it myself and I think it’s too much for Katrina to undertake.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! So, today is not exactly an update as much as it is an announcement.

I’ve decided to take a break from the hobby. Without going too much into it, the hobby itself began creating more stress then pleasure and my schedule has a lot to do with it. You see, with a 2 week away and 1 week home schedule, every time I came back it felt like I’ve taken 3 steps back for every step I took forward during myone week at home. It became too much for us and it saddens me deeply to give this up.

I’ll be posting thr entire system up for sale once I clear the live stock. Thank you all for the support.

happy new year!

Paul

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! So, today is not exactly an update as much as it is an announcement.

I’ve decided to take a break from the hobby. Without going too much into it, the hobby itself began creating more stress then pleasure and my schedule has a lot to do with it. You see, with a 2 week away and 1 week home schedule, every time I came back it felt like I’ve taken 3 steps back for every step I took forward during myone week at home. It became too much for us and it saddens me deeply to give this up.

I’ll be posting thr entire system up for sale once I clear the live stock. Thank you all for the support.

happy new year!

Paul

Happy new year

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me very sad. But if it's the correct decision for you then it's the right way to go.

Let's keep in touch bro. See you on the lawn!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

happy new year!

Paul
I am sad to hear this but I understand. Hope to see you back someday. :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back