Paul’s 240 gallon upgrade!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This isn’t really an explanation of your point- more a small list of bullet points and some supposition.

Do you have any evidence that ich was carried into a tank by a shrimp after an incomplete molt?

If the tank is fishless, where is the route of transmission between surface attached trophont cyst stage, the freeswimming theront stage and the reproductive tomont stage?
There are references out there that shrimp have molted (on the exoskeletons) that have molted and are sitting in the tank- can Transmit CI. I would assume that an incomplete molt could do the same thing - but its an unfamiliar term. Here is a quote however:

. They also form cysts on other hard surfaces in the aquarium such as rock, glass and equipment. Tomonts can also attach to the shells or exoskeletons of invertebrates (Burgess, 1992).

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/2/mini

The last question depends on the time the tank was fishless. Assumedly - if the tank in which the shrimp was fishless for <76 days - it may not be a problem

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are references out there that shrimp have molted (on the exoskeletons) that have molted and are sitting in the tank- can Transmit CI. I would assume that an incomplete molt could do the same thing - but its an unfamiliar term. Here is a quote however:

. They also form cysts on other hard surfaces in the aquarium such as rock, glass and equipment. Tomonts can also attach to the shells or exoskeletons of invertebrates (Burgess, 1992).

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/2/mini

The last question depends on the time the tank was fishless. Assumedly - if the tank in which the shrimp was fishless for <76 days - it may not be a problem
Having said that - this is a thread from some time ago - and I wanted to refresh my memory so reading back I understand better now what the issue is/was. I would say that unless the shrimp was in a fishless tank for 76days - you cant guarantee anything - but - that said - waiting until after the first molt is a good idea at minimum

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, quick update.

During QT, I was able to get a few small things done. A lot of the Apex programming was, some additional plumbing for media reactors and lights.

Here’s the manifold that’s plumbed directly from return pump. You can see it on the bottom right portion of the sump stand.
bf7f44fbab9f782f6a6fc811e091038f.jpg

Two of them have flow monitors (UV and Carbon) and include plumbing for the future frag tank.

You can also see how I decided to place the reactors. I’m looking to order some quick disconnect fittings to perform maintenance on the reactor.

Lighting:
So, I don’t think that two 32” reefbreeder photons will be enough. I’m thinking I’ll be adding an additional 24” reefbreeder photon and installing the 32” photons on two 36” life aquatic hybrid fixtures.

Right now, the existing lights are set to 4/hrs a day to keep algae under control. I mounted them to the beam above the tank using black rubber coated hooks

0ed852ff3639f6ddb9913d7b231efe84.jpg

I fed a wire down the wall and installed an outlet inside the beam
4bfc7c68bcab4bcaa8199a79e990dc0b.jpg

Hung the lights and hid the cables inside the faux beam
0a06cbc123cc06c8f0775b4a43730856.jpg

As it stands today.
d00c1e1b6774818edae4962020b6e899.jpg

We’ll be installing a decorative chain to do a better job of hiding the cables. Will update once that’s done.

Still in the works is wire clean up below the tank via cable tracks. Since the sump is in the basement, I also want to install a red led light that will glow when the Apex detects something wrong.

I haven’t done a water change yet since my nitrates have been hanging around 20ppm. But I’m almost done with my 65 gallon mixing station and I’ll be doing a 30% change when I get home from this trip this weekend. I’ll document that as it happens.

The fish are doing incredibly well after their 2 months of hell and they’ll soon be getting some new buddies. Ordered two purple tangs and two yellow tangs to go through QT.

Stay tuned!

Paul

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff Paul!

Thanks, Neil. The fish getting sick was such a derailment it’s nice to finally see progress again. My clean up crew is chugging along at 40 days in QT so can’t wait for that to be done. I swear, QT is way more involved than Reef keeping!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Neil. The fish getting sick was such a derailment it’s nice to finally see progress again. My clean up crew is chugging along at 40 days in QT so can’t wait for that to be done. I swear, QT is way more involved than Reef keeping!
I agree.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

With the QT empty for a little over a week I decided to punish myself once again! Acquired three new additions which I will be posting pics of as soon as they get cozy in their QT.

In terms of the display... everyone is doing great. I had the protective screen come off one of the mp40s and it injured the angelfish (2-3 raised scales which I’m hoping will correct itself with good nutrition and husbandry)

Otherwise, the diatoms have begun to die off on the sand, the skimmer is pulling some incredibly nasty stuff out and things are starting to get back to normal.

Goal today is to finish up the saltwater mixing station and patiently wait on my DOS to show up and start my AWCs

Here’s how we’re looking:
IMG_1557.JPG

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay okay.

Here are our new additions!

Two purple tangs and Gil! I’ve always wanted these guys and he destroyed him some frozen food at the pet store.

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

I brought them home, temp acclimated them and in they went into copper at 1.0. The tangs started eating nori within 45 min! I’ll give them a try with some gutloaded brine mixed with GC, selcon and garlic

They’re still a little shy but I’ll post updates as they come.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Gil! But a Morish Idol? You are a brave soul begging for a heart ache! But he was eating frozen in the LFS, you say? He looks full in the forehead which is great. I got my fingers crossed for you friend. A Purple tang is on my fish list. The last one to go in the tank.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Gil! But a Morish Idol? You are a brave soul begging for a heart ache! But he was eating frozen in the LFS, you say? He looks full in the forehead which is great. I got my fingers crossed for you friend. A Purple tang is on my fish list. The last one to go in the tank.

I know I know. But yes- ferociously! And, I just fed gut loaded brine with GC/Focus + garlic and I got the same result! Went after it without any hesitation!

Purple tangs were a little more cautious but within a few minutes, they were all over it. So far... we are doing okay. I’ll give them one more day I think and I’ll start ramping up their copper to 1.75...ish

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vic m- last tang in the tank or last fish?

Some local guys have added purple tangs alongside another with the same body type , with the purple being a bit smaller, and it seems to curb their territoriality. My plan is to do a 2” PT alongside a 2.5” YT (PT in a 10g for a couple days, YT in a 20l) then add the PT to the 20.

Of course, tangs have very individual temperaments, so it might not work. Might find a use fir the spare 40b after all

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vic m- last tang in the tank or last fish?

Some local guys have added purple tangs alongside another with the same body type , with the purple being a bit smaller, and it seems to curb their territoriality. My plan is to do a 2” PT alongside a 2.5” YT (PT in a 10g for a couple days, YT in a 20l) then add the PT to the 20.

Of course, tangs have very individual temperaments, so it might not work. Might find a use fir the spare 40b after all

I’m going to be adding in numbers... to spread out aggression. So the game plan is get these two PTs through QT and get two slightly larger YTs a long side them next week in a different QT tank. The Idol will move on to DT and following the YTs observation period, the 4 will join the existing PT in display

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be adding in numbers... to spread out aggression. So the game plan is get these two PTs through QT and get two slightly larger YTs a long side them next week in a different QT tank. The Idol will move on to DT and following the YTs observation period, the 4 will join the existing PT in display

I really think numbers, and possibly adding a more dominant fish to keep them in check, is the way to go with bullies. Sounds like a good strategy.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think numbers, and possibly adding a more dominant fish to keep them in check, is the way to go with bullies. Sounds like a good strategy.

Yea, I hope so. My PT has been pretty passive since I got him and the YT was always the boss. Even with the Powder Brown. I’m hoping he continues to be fairly mellow when these guys finally make it upstairs.

I’m already flowing a ton of water in the tank through the MP40s, MP10s and XF250, I have three nori clips ready to go and I like to feed heavy so I’m hoping this, and numbers, will limit aggression.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back