OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you’re on the right path. Keeping meds therapeutic almost immediately so as to limit the time in copper would be all else you can do. Feed varied foods soaked particularly in zoecon as well, as it seems to help the most with HLLE.

Yea, it’s a slight... almost tin looking, erosion around the gill plate and lateral line. They both ate this morning and it already looks better so I went ahead with increasing copper to 1.75-1.8. Will test in a few minutes.

No zeocon here but I do have selcon. They leave a mess of the nori scattered all over the tank, though. This is somewhat annoying because nori, apparently, doesn’t taste as good once it’s off the clip.... grrrr!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay at 1.81 copper. I’ll keep it there for another 13 days (arrived at therapeutic level yesterday) and then deworming. The HLLE is barely noticeable at this point but their appetite has decreased noticeably since reaching 1.8. I did throw some nori in tonight and they went nuts for it.

IMG_1580.jpg

Got a temporary setup for mixing saltwater and I’ll be starting AWCs using the DOS on Wednesday or Thursday. A more permanent location for this will be set up once the CUC is done with their QT in 18 days.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question... how are you guys with mixing tanks able to get heaters in these and keep the lid closed?

Quick answer- The lid for the blue barrels has an inner rim that’s a little flexible, so it’ll let you squeeze the lid on and deform around the cord.

I have seen people use a uniseal in the lid with a 2” long ‘one size down’ piece of pvc pipe with a cap on it. Heater wire through the uniseal, pvc pipe kinda squeezes it against the seal and the cap helps cover the gap between the seal and the pipe. Not explaining it very well. Sorry

Here’s a pic I just stole off the inter webs. Funny enough- it’s from a R2R thread “let’s mix it up!”

7780409e63f2d8d41b46ac81849ab6d7.jpg

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick answer- The lid for the blue barrels has an inner rim that’s a little flexible, so it’ll let you squeeze the lid on and deform around the cord.

I have seen people use a uniseal in the lid with a 2” long ‘one size down’ piece of pvc pipe with a cap on it. Heater wire through the uniseal, pvc pipe kinda squeezes it against the seal and the cap helps cover the gap between the seal and the pipe. Not explaining it very well. Sorry

No that’s perfect. I get what your saying. I have a 1” uniseal but I’m not sure if the plug will fit grrr.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that’s perfect. I get what your saying. I have a 1” uniseal but I’m not sure if the plug will fit grrr.

Warm it up a little if you need to stretch it a little bit. They don’t give much but sometimes you only need a little

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually for AWC on these larger tanks you probably won’t have to heat the water because usually the small amount changed has no impact on temperature from what I have read. I don’t speak from experience though.

Yea. I was worried about mixing to 35ppt. The water comes out of the well at 55 degrees so it may cause a salinity issue.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I was worried about mixing to 35ppt. The water comes out of the well at 55 degrees so it may cause a salinity issue.
Don’t you place the water in a container to degas it then run it through a RO DI filter? I am not sure if I am remembering your system right. So tell us what you are setting up. Pictures? You know I love your fishroom! And heating it won’t hurt anything.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t you place the water in a container to degas it then run it through a RO DI filter? I am not sure if I am remembering your system right. So tell us what you are setting up. Pictures? You know I love your fishroom! And heating it won’t hurt anything.

Hey, sorry. I got mixed it up in some fish room trouble. Yea, so I don't have any pictures because my inverts are going through their last 2 weeks of QT and are currently in the space where my mixing tank should sit. It's all scattered is what I'm saying.

Water comes in from the well, through RO into a 30 gallon Degas tank... after 4 hours it's moved through the DI resin into another 30 gallon tank (ATO) or into the SW mixing tank (65 gallons). None of that water is heated and in a 55-60 degree basement it's 20 degrees cooler than the tank. I just want to heat up the 55 gallons of water to be mixed to match the tank water while I mix so I don't get salinity drift. Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dying for some updates here, Paul. o_O

We are going out to see my mom and dad for my fathers birthday but I promise to get something up tonight. There's a lot to update on... well, a lot on one particular event.

If you're wondering about Gil... he's... well, lets just say he and I have become best friends. He is always hungry... like, all the f'in time and will eat anything I throw in there. I plan on doing a water change for them tomorrow to clear a the water a bit. It's a little cloudy from the GC, food, selcon, garlic and focus paste I make them but they're done with that so I'll give them so nice crystal clean water, with some copper of course but they're a few days away from being done with that, too. I'm not showing any ammonia so I just may wait til they're done. The PTs are doing great, too. the HLLE has cleared up nicely and they're not as shy as they were in the first week or so. As a matter of fact, all three are eating out of my hand.

Here's Gil doing Gil things.

Do you ever worry that you have screwed up folks real names? ;Happy

ha! nope, you got it right!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’m all about it! They are as clean as what Neil visits down there in Atlanta, though!

Lol, nice, right?

That place is 8 mins door to door. I couldn’t believe it when I first walked in there, just incredible. They have a show tank that is about 60% acans that is just beautiful. I’m going to get a few pics next time I’m in. Hundreds of frags, lots of big colonies. Great prices.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, nice, right?

That place is 8 mins door to door. I couldn’t believe it when I first walked in there, just incredible. They have a show tank that is about 60% acans that is just beautiful. I’m going to get a few pics next time I’m in. Hundreds of frags, lots of big colonies. Great prices.

Yes it’s super clean! There’s a place near me called Iconic Aquarium. Not as clean but the guy is super knowledgeable and always willing to listen to your experiences. I appreciate that a lot. He has a ton of corals and some of the coolest nems I’ve ever seen. I’d go today and get some pics but it’s supposed to snow

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back