Paul’s 240 gallon upgrade!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gil, the morish idol is now eating nori, sea worms, clams, mysis, brine, blackworms, pellets... and as of today... he’s doing so out of my hand. We have become best friends!

IMG_1648.jpg

Clams from the grocery store? Thinking of trying this.

‘Sea worms’? All I’m coming up with is blood worms.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams from the grocery store? Thinking of trying this.

‘Sea worms’? All I’m coming up with is blood worms.

Thanks!

Yes clams from the grocery store. I used to feed in a half shell but I don’t see a problem with processing them and then feeding. My wrasses and tangs loved them and as it turns out, so does Gil.

Sea worms
IMG_1675.jpg

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Lost the starry blenny last night. He somehow got into the overflow and into the basement. Found him today glued to the return pump inlet strainer. Could it be that he got sucked in and couldn’t escape?

Did a basic water test today to rule out water quality as the culprit.

Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: ?? I ran out of reagent.

Seems like the diatoms are making a come back in certain spots of the tank. I’m missing a few fitting to finalize the plumbing but will get that done today or tomorrow. Our daughters first..... date..... (f me) is today and I feel the need to make my presence felt lol so I probably won’t get to tank related things until tomorrow. Tomorrow is officially clean up.

The tangs and Gil are graduating copper on Sunday and they’re QT graduation date lines up with the invert graduation date. Once the inverts are out, the mixing station can be moved to its final spot and I can set up a frag tank.

Seems like one of my back up batteries took a beating during my... let’s just call it “the incident” so I’ll have to take a look at that. Maybe make a “how to” video on it? Who knows.

That’s all for now.

Paul

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a tiny update:

Had some daughter things we’ve been busy with but I finally cleaned up the fish room a bit. There’s still some clutter until the mixing station gets moved to its finally place but none the less... it’s nice not to trip on PVC anymore.

Moe, Curly and Gill have graduated copper. They started their GC deworming treatment yesterday so I’ll perform a water change on their tank on Friday and follow with a second treatment. No bacterial infection and they’re eating NON STOP. I honestly feel like Gill needs to be eating 24 hrs a day. He’s always begging! I did notice some lymph on his fins but that’s nothing to be concerned about.

Moe and Gill.
IMG_1712.jpg

Curly is a little shy when the camera comes out.

I finally finished plumbing the reactor for GFO and Carbon
IMG_1690.jpg

Manifold
IMG_1694.jpg

Return plumbing, titanium heat exchanger and the skimmer just constantly pulls out the nasties
IMG_1691.jpg

Anyway. All for now. I’ll be moving the fish in a few short weeks along with the inverts. I’ll go ahead and post those updates a long with the dehumidifier and how I plan to cover the sump to keep humidity and evaporation to a minimum.

Paul

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New addition to the QT factory!

IMG_1727.jpg

Impulse buy for sure but not without knowing what he/she needs. The second my fiancé saw this guy she said “oh wow he’s beautiful.” Naturally, my response was “should we get him?!”

U

User1

View Badges
Nice Moorish Idol. I was diving in Hawaii a couple years back and as my daughter and I navigated a cave exit the area was full of them. Pretty impressive. Mixed in with them a few large kole tangs all munching on whatever it was at around 90 feet. Always wanted to try one but my tank isn't set up for one at 210 gallons with my dimensions let alone rock mature enough.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Moorish Idol. I was diving in Hawaii a couple years back and as my daughter and I navigated a cave exit the area was full of them. Pretty impressive. Mixed in with them a few large kole tangs all munching on whatever it was at around 90 feet. Always wanted to try one but my tank isn't set up for one at 210 gallons with my dimensions let alone rock mature enough.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that! I’m too much of a chicken to get underwater so I vicariously live through people like you! [emoji6]

And thanks for the compliment. I got incredibly lucky with him. He eats EVERYTHING. I feed through a pipette to make sure they all get enough food and he will put his mouth right in the pipette as to get to the food before his purple QT mates. He’s incredibly personable

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New addition:

efe48cb2f6eab3f53ba5e80f561bbcb7.jpg

She had a couple of nips on the fin but hopefully with a good diet and clean water she’ll recover just fine. She was in a tank with a MASSIVE tang that wasn’t having her. We decided to rescue.

She went Into her own QT tank with salinity matching the bag + copper at 1.08. Received a bath in Rally to ward off infection. She’s still too timid to eat anything but a few nips of nori so I’m hesitant to start GC just yet but hoping that she’ll get comfortable in a few days.

@HotRocks

Sorry to keep bugging you with my QT woes, but do you recommend anything else for the nips? I know I can combine Furan2 metroplex and kanaplex during copper. Should I just skip metro and treat with GC, Furan2 and kanaplex? I’m thinking GC already has metro in it. Or, in your opinion, do I wait the 14 days in copper+GC and hit her with NFG when she’s done?

Here are some pics of the damage
2765e7a197e5f721e8732cd515c11e0f.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update,

Inverts have been in their own fallow QT for 75 days. They have been relocated to their permanent home upstairs.

The sailfin started eating brine mixed with selcon and GC this evening so GC should start tomorrow. Things are chugging a long nicely. I’ll be delaying the Idol and PTs transfer into the display until the sailfin is ready. Figure adding 3 tangs to an established PT will diffuse the potential anger

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back