Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree again.

Only if you see red sores or other signs of infection.

Thank you guys. I’m away from home today but will get him out tomorrow and perform the bath. I noticed this morning he was swimming around a lot more this morning before I left the house. If the prolapse looks like it’s getting better should I just leave him be or perform the bath regardless of how it looks?

Also, what should I look for and be aware of in the next few days to check for possible internal / neurological damage from this?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He he looks better, as in the prolapse is better, and is swimming and eating I would leave him be. I am sure the reefgeeks will have some valuable input though.

Thanks, Victoria. I’m really bummed this happened. I had to fly out to Miami in the morning so I didn’t have time to properly set him up a hospital tank. I did see him swimming around more actively before I left the house, though. The prolapse is still there. I don’t think it improved any from yesterday but his general behavior has. Unfortunately, I won’t be home until tomorrow morning, though, to follow up.

RUGDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have the same tank, drilled on a short side for a synergy reef ghost overflow. I’ll be running 1” BA. and 1.5” return.

It’s supported by a 185g sump system consisting of a 29g overflow/ settling / water change tank, a 125g (skimmer, rtn, fuge) and a 29g cryptic refugium. This is all in my basement fish room, 12 feet down and 20 feet lateral. It’s about 17 feet total head.

I’ve decided to use s jebao dcp 18000. At full power- it’s pushing 1200gph. That’s half the rated , but it cost $130 and is 98w at full power. I’ll be running my fuge and cryptic off a return line tee manifold, leaving about 750gph through the DT . I’ll have 2 x xf250 gyres in DT for real flow. More details in my build thread

Reactors are being run off a separate manifold with a cheap 400gph pump.

Just fwiw. I know it might be an unpopular opinion, but the jebao is fitting my needs.

My build thread is here-
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neil’s-in-wall-180-with-basement-fishroom.390436/

Looking forward to seeing this unfold. I enjoyed your previous tank build
Is the Jebao still in service?
What are your thoughts now?
I am firing up a basement sump again and researching pumping back up with a DC this time.
What concerns me is the 7.5 head rating I am seeing on this one. I am going to have 15-17 feet.
This is the only thing I have been able to find with a good head rating???
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/syncra-sdc-9-0-controllable-pump-1000-2500-gph-sicce.html

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao still going strong, no discernible change in output. Haven’t even cleaned it yet.

I’d buy another, but I don’t think that’ll be any time soon

Only thing I’d change is a literal stop/start switch in the controller. The way it is, you plug it in, it goes. I’d rather it start when I push a ‘go’ button

Don’t listen to the people that say only a pressure rated pump can do the job. There are several basement builds using jebaos, and I don’t recall any failures.

If you got a jebao, I don’t think you’d be disappointed. Why does a return pump need WiFi, anyway?

RUGDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao still going strong, no discernible change in output. Haven’t even cleaned it yet.

I’d buy another, but I don’t think that’ll be any time soon

Only thing I’d change is a literal stop/start switch in the controller. The way it is, you plug it in, it goes. I’d rather it start when I push a ‘go’ button

Don’t listen to the people that say only a pressure rated pump can do the job. There are several basement builds using jebaos, and I don’t recall any failures.

If you got a jebao, I don’t think you’d be disappointed. Why does a return pump need WiFi, anyway?
I agree. I am not much of a controller guy period. I just want it to shove the water upstairs effectively and not suck the power my old external reeflo used to. Plus I can almost buy three of these for the cost of the Sicce I was about to buy.
Thank You!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I am not much of a controller guy period. I just want it to shove the water upstairs effectively and not suck the power my old external reeflo used to. Plus I can almost buy three of these for the cost of the Sicce I was about to buy.
Thank You!

No worries.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
@HotRocks
@4FordFamily

A quick update. I got home late last night and this morning took a good look at the angelfish. Most importantly, the prolapse has completely gone away. His tail looks a little battered because his streamers have completely fallen off. The tail itself is in good shape it just looks strange without the streamers he had.

The only other sign of what happened is on his left side. (I found him laying on the right side which exposed his left side to the radiator)

You can see what appears to be brownish pink bruising on his belly which I’m assuming are burn marks and not internal damage.
feb2079c9fc0606b1a25426d1cd03321.jpg

The right side looks normal. He is actively swimming and no longer darting for the rock when I approach the the tank and eating aggressively. Should I still pull him into a hospital tank with a methylene blue bath in between?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
@HotRocks
@4FordFamily

A quick update. I got home late last night and this morning took a good look at the angelfish. Most importantly, the prolapse has completely gone away. His tail looks a little battered because his streamers have completely fallen off. The tail itself is in good shape it just looks strange without the streamers he had.

The only other sign of what happened is on his left side. (I found him laying on the right side which exposed his left side to the radiator)

You can see what appears to be brownish pink bruising on his belly which I’m assuming are burn marks and not internal damage.
feb2079c9fc0606b1a25426d1cd03321.jpg

The right side looks normal. He is actively swimming and no longer darting for the rock when I approach the the tank and eating aggressively. Should I still pull him into a hospital tank with a methylene blue bath in between?
Yes. I would recommend a methelyne blue bath ASAP as it will provide relief for the damage to the slime coat.

That is one tough fish!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I would recommend a methelyne blue bath ASAP as it will provide relief for the damage to the slime coat.

That is one tough fish!

I know. I’m really cheering this guy on! Seems like I didn’t read about many good endings after a prolapse so I’m incredibly happy to see him beat that.

Okay, I’ll get it going today. How long do you recommend me keeping him in a hospital tank? Until the “bruising” is completely gone?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. I’m really cheering this guy on! Seems like I didn’t read about many good endings after a prolapse so I’m incredibly happy to see him beat that.

Okay, I’ll get it going today. How long do you recommend me keeping him in a hospital tank? Until the “bruising” is completely gone?
If he’s easy to catch you might be OK just doing baths every couple of days for a week. Your call

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why stress him out? Why not leave him in the reef tank environment to allowe him to heal on his own? I have never had a fish (except the piggy queen angel) who was easy to catch. lol @4FordFamily
If he needs antibiotics they can’t be administered in the DT. He may well need them with the weakened state he is in. However if he’s easy to catch it may make sense to wait.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he needs antibiotics they can’t be administered in the DT. He may well need them with the weakened state he is in. However if he’s easy to catch it may make sense to wait.

I tried getting him but he’s quick! I’m trying with a colander in the tank with some food in it but turns out he’s as smart as he is tough. Unfortunately, taking the rock work apart just isn’t going to happen and I’d rather not chase him if I don’t have to so coercion is the only option here.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried getting him but he’s quick! I’m trying with a colander in the tank with some food in it but turns out he’s as smart as he is tough. Unfortunately, taking the rock work apart just isn’t going to happen and I’d rather not chase him if I don’t have to so coercion is the only option here.

You can try feeding antibiotics to help just in case with seachem focus added but that’s up to you. It won’t likely treat an external infection well but it would be better than nothing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back