Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 08/19/18

Stand is done and awaiting powder coat. I had it in the house as some rain for forecast overnight so I had a chance to take some comparison pictures and oh my. I always thought the 125 was a large tank until I put this stand next to it. Anyhow, it’s going back on the pick up for powder coating later today. Should be done in about 2 weeks time.
IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

The thing is a tank and built locally. Speaking of which, if you’re in need of a metal stand, the guys name is John and I found him on Monster Fish Keepers forum. He’s done a ton of stands for guys on there and is local to northern jersey. I honestly can recommend him more. Shoot me a PM and I’ll send you his info if anyone needs a steel stand.

Paul

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got a lot done today but not much show for it. Had to take a trip to Lowe’s and that took too long but I managed to get some 5/8 plywood for the top and cut it to shape.
95e47175424343c05be5ac8bf7fcf031.jpg

da8685bdadf75ce0ed39abb7e402d88c.jpg

I got the QT tank cleaned up, moved out of the fish room and ready for some new additions. The stand for the 125 sump is all done just awaits paint.
c1949fda652aa9b162fc5105ed3c9a60.jpg

So, at this point, I wait. I still have to wash and bleach new dead live rock and await the tank deliver and the stand to come back. In the mean time, here’s my other obsession... don’t judge me

Last year, we had a few dead ash trees taken down that threatened out home. The tree service had promised to clean up the brush mess the next day and we paid them in full. Well, long story short, they never showed. It ruined our lawn. But! It motivated me to bring it back. So, I got to reading and walking and getting way too familiar with my grass lol. But I’ve come to truly “enjoy the mow” and after two weeks, the grass was in desperate need of some mow. Okay, enough of the derailment. I spent a few hours mowing, spraying and edging.
9ad421caf658d39f74361470eed657c0.jpg

Paul

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Kreg rip cut is the best. Makes working with sheet goods so easy.

Great looking steel stand. Going to sheath it or keep it open?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Kreg rip cut is the best. Makes working with sheet goods so easy.

Great looking steel stand. Going to sheath it or keep it open?

Oh my goodness, that rip cut tool is the best!

Thanks! Wish I had the welding skills to take credit for it. We’re going to sheath it. Looking for some inspiration

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update,

As mentioned earlier, cleaned out the QT tank last night. Today I got it set up because I had a plan to visit Iconic Aquarium and “look.”

Filling the QT with RO water.
184858b54f0a35613397e9fb28518014.jpg

aec30f99cd94757de3dc1cc3304f98b8.jpg

It’s pretty basic. A 40 breeder with two 200 watt heaters, one power head and a duel wheel penguin HOB filter. The HOB gets two pieces of foam out of my DT sump. This way, it’s always seeded with bacteria. That’s all.

As far as my QT regiment, I observe for 4-5 days and do my best to get them eating. Once they eat, I do two treatments of prazipro and then onto copper for 30 days. After copper, I do a large water change and observe for another 3-4 days. I may switch things up and do the TTM with two 10 gallon tanks.

What did I get? I’ll show ya tomorrow!

-Paul

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build so far, can’t wait to get mine started....once house build is complete lol

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your lighting plans for that kinda length - i assume LEDs?

I’ve given this some thought. I currently have two 32” reefbreeder photons. I plan on adding another smaller photon between the two existing and supplementing with T5s.

Great build so far, can’t wait to get mine started....once house build is complete lol

Thanks! Post a link here when you do!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as promised. But first. I have already mentioned that I’ve been battling aiptasia. Determined to take a natural approach to eradicating them, or at least controlling, I recently ordered 15 peppermint shrimp. Well, I didn’t share this with you because so far it hasn’t been going well. I’ll explain.

I have this wrasse... enough said. Long story short, he immediately went after 3 shrimp and successfully... ate them. Now, that leaves me with 12. Which is fine as I was expecting some DOA, was just hoping it wasn’t by one of mine. Anyway, to help the peppermints out, I was thinking either a file fish or a copper band. I’ve tried Copperband before and they’ve been extremely tough for me. I manage to him alive and eating, through QT and when he got to the display, he couldn’t keep up with my aggressive eaters. So, with his health deteriorating, I decided to give him to someone more experienced then I. But I didn’t want to go through that again. So, I went to Iconic Aquarium and expressed my concerns and Joe there recommended a muellers butterfly. I hesitated but ended up bringing him home. I’m happy to say, he’s eating like a pig after less then 24 hours in QT. So, took out a piece of acrylic from my refugium with a ton of aiptasia growing on it... and this is what happened

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another delivery of toys. I won’t keep you in suspense.

A few baby sized drill bits to install float valves
556897f0a0ef942f73096069bc1e70a6.jpg

Float valves themselves
db479068d79233d2d4a69078611211b8.jpg

And! Two of these XF250s
b678e5d0cfddfd657a1bd913b83721dc.jpg

273667a9b159fdbe1b6b13b8cda1dc92.jpg

504578d9387a121a5317360e2d8adc7d.jpg

Not much else is going on. Just waiting on the tank and stand to get finished up. I’ll start on moving the fish and coral temporarily here in the next 2 weeks to make room for the new tank and then finish up the fish room in the basement. Still not sure how to tackle it but I guess the best way is head on.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the float valves for? Going for low tech gravity ATO?

Not exactly devouring the aiptasia, is he? Hopefully he gets an appetite for them

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the float valves for? Going for low tech gravity ATO?

Not exactly devouring the aiptasia, is he? Hopefully he gets an appetite for them

Actually, he takes down a few a day! He’s cleared out half the aiptasia on the little piece of acrylic I placed in there. Got him hooked on mysis and LRS. His personality is great too.

The float valves are for redundancy. Going to plumb the ATO to my QT tank and so I’d like to have a mechanical way of stopping top off water to the QT. I’ll add one to the sump as well. I travel for a living so can never have too many fail safes.

Oh! I decided I’m going with the titanium heat exchanger and heat the tank using my water heater.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any more pictures of the stand to share?
how is the skinning going?

I do not. It’s being powder coated as we speak but I won’t see it for another two weeks. I’ll take more pics when it comes back. Haven’t started skinning it- we won’t get to that until the tank is up and running, to be honest.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, he takes down a few a day! He’s cleared out half the aiptasia on the little piece of acrylic I placed in there. Got him hooked on mysis and LRS. His personality is great too.

Awesome, glad he is working out for you. I’m hoping I never see one of those in my tank, but am glad there are a few good options for control should the need arise.

The float valves are for redundancy. Going to plumb the ATO to my QT tank and so I’d like to have a mechanical way of stopping top off water to the QT. I’ll add one to the sump as well. I travel for a living so can never have too many fail safes.

Sounds good. I just can’t seem to decide between mechanical, a bunch of apex linked floats or an independent ATO setup. But I was thinking mechanical for my QT, with apex solenoid cutoff if it leaks.

Oh! I decided I’m going with the titanium heat exchanger and heat the tank using my water heater.

Nice, I think that’s a good choice. I’m finding out that 2x 250w eheim jagers aren’t going to keep up with my needs, given that the house AC is set to 73 (we like it a touch cooker). I’m going to switch on the freezer and fridge (food storage) in the fishroom and see if the additional heat they produce makes up for it, and insulate my sump tanks with foam and lids. I’d rather spend $30 on foam, than $30+ ongoing electricity costs buying another heater.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
="neilp2006, post: 5168411, member: 86751"Nice, I think that’s a good choice. I’m finding out that 2x 250w eheim jagers aren’t going to keep up with my needs, given that the house AC is set to 73 (we like it a touch cooker). I’m going to switch on the freezer and fridge (food storage) in the fishroom and see if the additional heat they produce makes up for it, and insulate my sump tanks with foam and lids. I’d rather spend $30 on foam, than $30+ ongoing electricity costs buying another heater.

What are you using for lids?

And yes, I have 1300 watts that’s doing a good job with the 125g but it struggles in the dead of winter time. So, I’ll be going with what we discussed earlier and back it up with 3x500watt heaters.

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back