Paul’s 240 gallon upgrade!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s been...I suppose I should be careful with my use of pronouns... kidding! He’s been stuck since I got him which is over a year ago now. He’s never had a female in with him. I’ve read that it’s possible for them to go back to female.
So true! LOL! Got keep a sense of humor about life or it would really get us all down.
Very interesting about the transitioning phases.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a rather hectic few weeks but it also seems like it's my go to excuse for the lack of updates.

To make a long story short, I almost quit the hobby. The tank has slowly been deteriorating and I had no clue what was causing it. Water test results would be all over the map and it was getting frustrating. All but one of my corals that did so well through QT had died and some slimy green algae started to take hold. I figured it was my schedule and I just wasn't giving it the attention it needed. With school around the corner and my two week on in SoFlo, one week off at home, I assumed the problem was only going to get worse.

We recently had some water issues in the house in the form of gravel clogging up our faucet fixtures. So,a butt load of money and some new equipment later, it turns out our original system was installed incorrectly and therefore wasn't doing what it was designed for. To give you some perspective of the gross **** up, the media wasn't even removed from the original packaging. The resin in the water softener was still in its bag!!! This caused a stand pipe to break releasing calcite and gravel into our pipes causing an assortment of issues.

Last week, we decided that maybe the issues with the tank had been directly related to the water. So, we decided to stick with it.

Here's what's been happening and what I need to do to catch up:
3 of 4 Neptune PMUPs have now seized. I can't even pull the impellers out to investigate.
- New V2s have been ordered
Saltwater holding tank growing some brown slime at the bottom:
- Take it off line and pressure wash it. Change salt from Red Sea blue buckets to ???
Generally not happy with sump lay out:
- I've been putting together the materials needed to modify the existing sump to what I posted a few days ago. As a reminder:
new sump.jpg

The sump, from left to right, will begin with a drain section for the full siphon and emergency drains. Measures 4 3/4" x 17" x 13 1/2" at 4.7 gallons. Front portion of the next section will house a 7" filter sock which will eventually be replaced with a Klir-7 roller filter, three back electric heaters at 300w each, reactor pump and GFO/Carbon reactors. Measures 35 3/4" x 9 1/2" x 9 1/4" or 13.6 gallons. The rear portion will serve as a narrow refugium with live rock, chaeto and calcium reactor media as substrate. Measures 35 3/4" x 8 1/2" x 14 3/4" or 17.1 gallons. Next section will house the current skimmer and measures 19 1/4" x 7 1/4" x 17" or 10.27 gallons. And finally, last chamber is the return chamber. Measures 11 1/2" x 7 1/4" x 17" at 6.13 gallons. Total running sump volume of 51.8 gallons. A net loss of 8 gallons to the current configuration.

Install 40b as future frag tank:
- There's currently a $ per gallon sale going on so I'll pick this up tomorrow and get it drilled for the reef synergy overflow I'm currently not using. I'm assuming the relatively low flow will keep it quiet but it's in the basement so noise is not a factor. Well, I'm sure it becomes one at some point. Anyhow, this is simply to add water volume as I await to actually grow things.

Dehumidifier Pump Failed:

- Currently removing water manually as the manufacturer won't ship for 2 weeks from the order date... ugh!
That's on the agenda to get this thing back to where it should be. It'll give me an opportunity to get a large water change done while the sump is down for the next few days without worrying about the heat getting out of control. Stay tuned!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First portion of the sump layout is almost done. I know it's hard to see but you get the point.

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

Quick Question regarding a standard 125 gallon tank

If I remove the plastic braces off the tank and silicone 1/4" glass strips as replacements, do I need to worry about possible failure with 50 gallons of water and another 30 gallons that drains from the DT?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good update my friend. Looks like you have a plan of action and you’ll get over the hump with the new softener system doing it’s job

For the sump trim- I’m not an expert, so big grain of instant ocean needed, but my feeling is you’d be ok at 80 gallons as long as you do the bracing as described.

You gonna use the shadow overflow? I think it’ll be fine since you’ll only be putting 100gph through it... lol... throw a power head in there to make up the flow. On my chop top 40, I’m going to use the cut off glass to make a coast to coast weirand just run some pvc standpipes through some bulkheads. Not running a box.

Glad you’re still with us, bud!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good update my friend. Looks like you have a plan of action and you’ll get over the hump with the new softener system doing it’s job

For the sump trim- I’m not an expert, so big grain of instant ocean needed, but my feeling is you’d be ok at 80 gallons as long as you do the bracing as described.

You gonna use the shadow overflow? I think it’ll be fine since you’ll only be putting 100gph through it... lol... throw a power head in there to make up the flow. On my chop top 40, I’m going to use the cut off glass to make a coast to coast weirand just run some pvc standpipes through some bulkheads. Not running a box.

Glad you’re still with us, bud!

Thanks, mate!

Yea, I could never sell this thing to someone else.. So since it's here, I might as well use it and I agree- with 200-300 gph, it SHOULD stay quiet. lol

I did a C2C just like that for a friends 75 gallon and it works really well. I think you'll be happy with it man!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, got a lot done. New PMUPs arrived and installed. Made 75 gallons of RO/DI water and will make another 75 tomorrow to prepare to drain the sump. The baffles are ready for installation on the sump and I'll be sure to document this portion with photos. Saltwater holding tank is clean.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, got a lot done. New PMUPs arrived and installed. Made 75 gallons of RO/DI water and will make another 75 tomorrow to prepare to drain the sump. The baffles are ready for installation on the sump and I'll be sure to document this portion with photos. Saltwater holding tank is clean.
I love watching people knock off the big items from the to-do list. Good luck

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly you had high CO2 in your well water. Do you still need to degas the water before your RODI?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 08/28/19

Had a small list of things to do on the agenda. As previously discussed, PMUPs have been replaced so ATO and RO/DI making station is back in automatic mode. The Saltwater holding/mixing tank has been defunked with a pressure washer and I’ve switched salt mixes from Red Sea blue bucket to Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt. I’ve got a few bags of the Live Aquaria salt mix and I’ll mix the two of them until I run out and see from there.

There were a few more items that needed to be done so I’ll start with the next one on my list.

Generally not happy with sump lay out:
- I've been putting together the materials needed to modify the existing sump to what I posted a few days ago. As a reminder:
new sump.jpg

The sump, from left to right, will begin with a drain section for the full siphon and emergency drains. Measures 4 3/4" x 17" x 13 1/2" at 4.7 gallons. Front portion of the next section will house a 7" filter sock which will eventually be replaced with a Klir-7 roller filter, three back electric heaters at 300w each, reactor pump and GFO/Carbon reactors. Measures 35 3/4" x 9 1/2" x 9 1/4" or 13.6 gallons. The rear portion will serve as a narrow refugium with live rock, chaeto and calcium reactor media as substrate. Measures 35 3/4" x 8 1/2" x 14 3/4" or 17.1 gallons. Next section will house the current skimmer and measures 19 1/4" x 7 1/4" x 17" or 10.27 gallons. And finally, last chamber is the return chamber. Measures 11 1/2" x 7 1/4" x 17" at 6.13 gallons. Total running sump volume of 51.8 gallons. A net loss of 8 gallons to the current configuration.

So, here’s the work in progress. Last Monday, I started working on the new lay out (see the quotes portion of this post) using 1/4” acrylic as glass was a little too expensive to justify. I used an acrylic bit and a router to cut the shapes I need and used weld on 16 to glue them together. Here’s what we came up with.

5203EA28-E369-4908-A70B-ADC520C82377.jpeg

42D151EC-F423-49A0-B9BE-EFA908656569.jpeg

While it cured, I emptied the sump and dragged it out onto the driveway forgetting how heavy these 125g tanks were!
0D8F702E-299E-4D87-BE0B-4C8FDA5DA215.jpeg

4E9FBE27-EEAD-4409-AAD4-3E108C086538.jpeg

Busted out the old pressure washer, cleaned it and removed the old glass baffles along with the silicone. Also removed the plastic bracing to accommodate the placement of the skimmer.
3738DF26-504A-4989-80C0-AC4D3B25C409.jpeg

Here it is with the new baffles mocked up and dry fitted. Masking tape for those pretty silicone lines and everything!
A90C4A1F-E388-4540-8624-419073B1E9BC.jpeg

Once this was done I needed to modify my EMS overflow a bit. Sorry @TaylorPilot ! The water level was just slightly too high. Now, if you guys remember I had an issue where the tank builder screwed up the holes and paid for a custom box from Taylor, which I absolutely LOVE! Having said this, I have a unique box that was somewhat experimental on my end. The water level came up right to the bottom of the glass cross braces causing two issues. Algae to grow in the bottom of the braces blocking the light, surface movement was limited to the left and right sections of the tank.

I drained the tank and put my router to work after removing the inside box. Here’s what we did and it’s not flawless. Water level is still inside the black rim and I get water surface movement across the entire tank!
02E33EA0-95D3-4AC8-A4AE-A7FF4C0F4D07.jpeg

4EB8A4D9-04CB-4C28-BF49-0C449EEC46C7.jpeg

After the silicone set for 72 hours, I started to fill which also served as a massive 140 gallon water change.

50074693-DF67-425B-B253-583C7ABBD0FC.jpeg

And a video of the lay out
Drain section filled with main drain, flows into a 7” filter sock and into a reactor / back up heater section (still to go) which flows into a skimmer section and into the return section.

The secondary drain feeds the fuge on the back Side of the sump which spills directly into the skimmer section. The plan is to fill it with chaeto, which is currently in there, live rock and a sand bed of calcium reactor media. Anywhere, Here’s a video!

There’s more. Stay tuned!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome update Paul!!

You took a router to your overflow weir!!!?!?!!!?! WHAAAAAAATT!!

You have a hand held or a table router? I have a palm router and have been considering a table for my electrical panel acrylic work. freehanding wood has been messy even with guides and I’d hate to ruin a piece of acrylic with a misstep. I really wanted my panel to have some nice radius edge corners, but decent jig/guides cost 4-5x the acrylic cost. So I might just round them off with a dremel

“A sand bed of calcium reactor media.” Say wut?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back