Paul’s Rubbermaid Reef

OP
Pedoconfuego

Pedoconfuego

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The rock is here already. I got 40 pounds which is about two 5 gallon buckets worth. The only concern for me is mantis shrimp so I have them sitting in some buckets with high salinity water. Hopefully if there are any in there they will come out. I have a tiny powerhead that I will move from each bucket every now and then just to keep the water moving some. I hope the sponges make it, there are some nice red ones on there.
The rock looks pretty good with lots of life on it at first glance. Lots of big brittle starfish are still alive so that’s a good sign. I thought It was being shipped in water but it was just in wet paper. Doesn’t stink at all so I am thinking the soak in the buckets will dislodge anything that could cause issues. A few big bubbles of bubble algae and some other normal algae’s are on the rock butt that’s all easy to pluck off. I am honestly not even worried about it and will just skim over it before I put it in the tank.
Hopefully later I will have the energy to move some corals to a tub and start working on the tank. Looks like I might have to pull a few rocks out to get all 40 pounds in the tank. I will just remove the ones most covered in bubble algae since the same rocks always seem to get covered no matter what.

C3DB9CD4-DD83-4A1B-98B1-6D1A91DA9844.jpeg

Chaswood79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The rock is here already. I got 40 pounds which is about two 5 gallon buckets worth. The only concern for me is mantis shrimp so I have them sitting in some buckets with high salinity water. Hopefully if there are any in there they will come out. I have a tiny powerhead that I will move from each bucket every now and then just to keep the water moving some. I hope the sponges make it, there are some nice red ones on there.
The rock looks pretty good with lots of life on it at first glance. Lots of big brittle starfish are still alive so that’s a good sign. I thought It was being shipped in water but it was just in wet paper. Doesn’t stink at all so I am thinking the soak in the buckets will dislodge anything that could cause issues. A few big bubbles of bubble algae and some other normal algae’s are on the rock butt that’s all easy to pluck off. I am honestly not even worried about it and will just skim over it before I put it in the tank.
Hopefully later I will have the energy to move some corals to a tub and start working on the tank. Looks like I might have to pull a few rocks out to get all 40 pounds in the tank. I will just remove the ones most covered in bubble algae since the same rocks always seem to get covered no matter what.

C3DB9CD4-DD83-4A1B-98B1-6D1A91DA9844.jpeg
They look delicious

OP
Pedoconfuego

Pedoconfuego

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The tangs should think so too. I decided to clean them and check for whatever I can find in the rocks before I put them in, just to ease my mind. I am going to work on that in a bit. It’s going to be a lot of work, my back is going to hurt later for sure... That is one thing I hate about this tank. Working on it you gotta be hunched over. If I did it again I would raise them up slightly on stands.

OP
Pedoconfuego

Pedoconfuego

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I decided to let the rock sit in a trash can for an extra day to make sure any die off was not going to be in the tank. I found a whole family of pistol shrimp in one rock but I have no experience with them. The male and female are almost 2”, I just don’t want them to cause problems with fish or corals. Everything else looks good, nothing else wierd found except for a tiny white fuzzy crab with black eyes and an orangish crest on his back, that I threw in my skimmer bottom to be safe. I tested the ammonia and it’s zero and doesn’t stink so I think I am good to go.

OP
Pedoconfuego

Pedoconfuego

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I got 2/3 of the rock out in the tank and it’s really helped create more space for corals to be placed better. It’s going to take some work to get the rest of the rock in and then to mount the corals where I want but I will update when I finish.

On a side note I tested nutrients today since po4 has been kinda high and 12 hours after adding the rock po4 reads 7 on my Hanna! Wow, I am not sure if the new rock sucked up that much po4 but I can’t imagine it dropped naturally over the last few weeks I tested it. I knew I should have tested it before I put the rock in but I was very tired. I think I am going to have to keep a close eye on nutrients during the next few weeks. I am so happy for it to be back to normal levels though. Nitrates are dropping again too since adding some vodka to the vinegar. My goal is to have natural seawater readings for nutrients. The only other thing I did yesterday was unhook the cheato reactor since it really wasn’t doing much of anything and was just an extra pump in the tank and outlet on the wall

I am also hoping I can continue to use dosing pumps and that I don’t have to switch to a calcium reactor at any point in the near future. But if I do I have made my own out of a 4’ piece of 5” acrylic tube and will just need to glue it together. I thought about researching the automatic co2 injection system like the destaco reactors and diy one myself but I doubt I will have time if it comes to it. I guess I could get Adam from artfully acrylic to make it for me since he is right next door basically.

I really appreciate everyone who has commented on the tank and everyone that’s following. I didn’t know if it would interest many people since I don’t have top of the line equipment and all that jazz and my methods are somewhat dated. But on that note, if I saw the opportunity to benifit my reef with anything new I would have bought it. I am hoping I can keep it going and show how nice these old school lights and methods color acropora.

Chaswood79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I got 2/3 of the rock out in the tank and it’s really helped create more space for corals to be placed better. It’s going to take some work to get the rest of the rock in and then to mount the corals where I want but I will update when I finish.

On a side note I tested nutrients today since po4 has been kinda high and 12 hours after adding the rock po4 reads 7 on my Hanna! Wow, I am not sure if the new rock sucked up that much po4 but I can’t imagine it dropped naturally over the last few weeks I tested it. I knew I should have tested it before I put the rock in but I was very tired. I think I am going to have to keep a close eye on nutrients during the next few weeks. I am so happy for it to be back to normal levels though. Nitrates are dropping again too since adding some vodka to the vinegar. My goal is to have natural seawater readings for nutrients. The only other thing I did yesterday was unhook the cheato reactor since it really wasn’t doing much of anything and was just an extra pump in the tank and outlet on the wall

I am also hoping I can continue to use dosing pumps and that I don’t have to switch to a calcium reactor at any point in the near future. But if I do I have made my own out of a 4’ piece of 5” acrylic tube and will just need to glue it together. I thought about researching the automatic co2 injection system like the destaco reactors and diy one myself but I doubt I will have time if it comes to it. I guess I could get Adam from artfully acrylic to make it for me since he is right next door basically.

I really appreciate everyone who has commented on the tank and everyone that’s following. I didn’t know if it would interest many people since I don’t have top of the line equipment and all that jazz and my methods are somewhat dated. But on that note, if I saw the opportunity to benifit my reef with anything new I would have bought it. I am hoping I can keep it going and show how nice these old school lights and methods color acropora.
What do you keep your alk at?

OP
Pedoconfuego

Pedoconfuego

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
7-8 normally but i let it drift up to 10 since the nutrients went up, not on purpose really I just figured it would happen and didn’t check it for a while. The acros obviously stopped growing like they were so now I will probably lower the dosing and let it drop back to normal. I will probably be on a weekly water change schedule until things perk up.

Mega Meltdown After Sale
OP
Pedoconfuego

Pedoconfuego

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Do you think it’s a mille? I am confused with that one. I am probably going to mount it in a different space because it’s about to touch what’s around it. I was going to put the other three rocks in the tank today but I have had them just sitting in a bucket with low flow for two days and forgot to change the water out last night. I am defiantly moving some corals around though. A few I think are the same pieces and I am going to mount them together and hope I am right haha...

Chaswood79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Do you think it’s a mille? I am confused with that one. I am probably going to mount it in a different space because it’s about to touch what’s around it. I was going to put the other three rocks in the tank today but I have had them just sitting in a bucket with low flow for two days and forgot to change the water out last night. I am defiantly moving some corals around though. A few I think are the same pieces and I am going to mount them together and hope I am right haha...
Everything definitely looks good bud. Where is estomago?

When you feed your fish do you feel like your feeding the algae as well?

• Yes I feel I'm feeding too much

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Yes but not much

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors