Paul’s Rubbermaid Reef

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my name is Paul and I just wanted to share a little info on my tank I am running right now. I few people have been interested in seeing my setup but I normally don’t get many reads because I don’t particularly collect named corals nor do I post many pics. But I have been in the hobby for close to 20 years now and I do like trying to help contribute in this forum. So I figured I should take a min to post about my tank.

I’m for now I am using a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank with no sump. I did this once before with a 50 gallon Rubbermaid and a 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump. Everything about this tank I set up to make it easy for me to take care of. I don’t plan on setting up a glass tank until I have the opportunity to move. We breed bengal cats so that takes up a lot of our time. My wife got me into the hobby when we were younger and she takes care of the cats mostly, but it’s still a lot of work. I used to have a number of tanks and it was a lot of work which is why I went this simple direction. Not being able to see inside the tank without pulling out a viewer really helps me stay out of it. My main goal is to grow out the corals as big as I can and best I can without trimming them all the time. For now they are just thrown in there and the rocks just laying stacked flat on the bottom. Once things kick in growing well I may remove some duds and move pieces around while adding some rock around the edges.

For now I am hand dosing bionic once a day and using vinegar as my carbon source. I have been using vodka and or vinegar for a long time now and really like the life it brings to a tank. I have a doser to setup when I get time but for now it’s not consuming enough to need to set it up. I struggled to get the tank stable after breaking everything down and moving what I wanted to keep into this tank. I killed off a number of pieces trying to get it setup and stable. It’s been stable for the past few months and most stuff looks ok but I am still trying to get phosphates down to a low number. I think this imbalance is the main reason some stuff is not taking off yet.

Here is a little tank info...

- I am running two 250w radiums in mini reflectors on electronic ballasts on the Hqi setting and four or2 bars, 3 blue plus and one uv.
- Using 5 powerheads. Two wavepucks (my favorite pump by far), one Nero which is close but not as good imo, one old jeabo that needs replacing and a reefbreeders one with the wide flow pattern that’s similar to the same body style as the Nero and wavepucks. I am using one rotating device for one of the wavepucks and would like to have two but it’s hard to mount them on the Rubbermaid without taking up a lot of room.
- Live rock is mixed from when I started with good real live rock, Tonga branch and mixed dry pieces. Most of it is covered in sponge underneath from dosing carbon for so long and feeding well. The last system had a 40 breeder filled with rock and low flow that I dosed a lot of vodka and vinegar in which really got that population going strong.
- Filtration starts with a little carbon in a bag changed weekly and I run a old large euro reef skimmer from a mazzei injector and a mag 18 sitting in the tank. Skimmer is 3’ tall and 8” round.
Also using a recently setup tunze cheato reactor but it hasn’t really started growing to well yet, it grows but doesn’t spin like they say it should. Probably because it likes to grow bacteria in there a bit and once I get my po4 down I should be able to get it running well and lower my vinegar dose a bit.
I am dosing stump remover every couple of days to lower the po4 slowly. Might start using a little gfo mixed in with the carbon temporarily.
- I top off the tank with a gravity fed top off tank and a float which is kinda annoying to look at but whatever, it works and won’t cause issues.

For now I will just post a quick crowd friendly phone pic of the corals under the or2 bars with a filter, even though I can’t stand the look it’s the only way I can get a decent pic of what’s inside all at once. Once I find time I will start taking macro shots with the cannon again. I am not happy with any of the phone pics I have taken of the corals but I will keep trying.

C6EBAF9B-4279-4594-82A2-F9BE81AAD619.jpeg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my name is Paul and I just wanted to share a little info on my tank I am running right now. I few people have been interested in seeing my setup but I normally don’t get many reads because I don’t particularly collect named corals nor do I post many pics. But I have been in the hobby for close to 20 years now and I do like trying to help contribute in this forum. So I figured I should take a min to post about my tank.

I’m for now I am using a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank with no sump. I did this once before with a 50 gallon Rubbermaid and a 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump. Everything about this tank I set up to make it easy for me to take care of. I don’t plan on setting up a glass tank until I have the opportunity to move. We breed bengal cats so that takes up a lot of our time. My wife got me into the hobby when we were younger and she takes care of the cats mostly, but it’s still a lot of work. I used to have a number of tanks and it was a lot of work which is why I went this simple direction. Not being able to see inside the tank without pulling out a viewer really helps me stay out of it. My main goal is to grow out the corals as big as I can and best I can without trimming them all the time. For now they are just thrown in there and the rocks just laying stacked flat on the bottom. Once things kick in growing well I may remove some duds and move pieces around while adding some rock around the edges.

For now I am hand dosing bionic once a day and using vinegar as my carbon source. I have been using vodka and or vinegar for a long time now and really like the life it brings to a tank. I have a doser to setup when I get time but for now it’s not consuming enough to need to set it up. I struggled to get the tank stable after breaking everything down and moving what I wanted to keep into this tank. I killed off a number of pieces trying to get it setup and stable. It’s been stable for the past few months and most stuff looks ok but I am still trying to get phosphates down to a low number. I think this imbalance is the main reason some stuff is not taking off yet.

Here is a little tank info...

- I am running two 250w radiums in mini reflectors on electronic ballasts on the Hqi setting and four or2 bars, 3 blue plus and one uv.
- Using 5 powerheads. Two wavepucks (my favorite pump by far), one Nero which is close but not as good imo, one old jeabo that needs replacing and a reefbreeders one with the wide flow pattern that’s similar to the same body style as the Nero and wavepucks. I am using one rotating device for one of the wavepucks and would like to have two but it’s hard to mount them on the Rubbermaid without taking up a lot of room.
- Live rock is mixed from when I started with good real live rock, Tonga branch and mixed dry pieces. Most of it is covered in sponge underneath from dosing carbon for so long and feeding well. The last system had a 40 breeder filled with rock and low flow that I dosed a lot of vodka and vinegar in which really got that population going strong.
- Filtration starts with a little carbon in a bag changed weekly and I run a old large euro reef skimmer from a mazzei injector and a mag 18 sitting in the tank. Skimmer is 3’ tall and 8” round.
Also using a recently setup tunze cheato reactor but it hasn’t really started growing to well yet, it grows but doesn’t spin like they say it should. Probably because it likes to grow bacteria in there a bit and once I get my po4 down I should be able to get it running well and lower my vinegar dose a bit.
I am dosing stump remover every couple of days to lower the po4 slowly. Might start using a little gfo mixed in with the carbon temporarily.
- I top off the tank with a gravity fed top off tank and a float which is kinda annoying to look at but whatever, it works and won’t cause issues.

For now I will just post a quick crowd friendly phone pic of the corals under the or2 bars with a filter, even though I can’t stand the look it’s the only way I can get a decent pic of what’s inside all at once. Once I find time I will start taking macro shots with the cannon again. I am not happy with any of the phone pics I have taken of the corals but I will keep trying.

C6EBAF9B-4279-4594-82A2-F9BE81AAD619.jpeg
The myth DOES exist!

looks good for a tub man!

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and a friend got this piece from a Figi cultured shipment probably 7 or 8 years ago. It was a really nice blue piece. A friend put it in his tank and I got a frag from him after he murdered it and brought a frag back to life just from a polyp. I have grown this frag i got slowly into this colony in the past 4 years or maybe five. When I first started growing it it grew a branch with color then turned greenish brown. Been that way since but now it’s covering a whole plug and has slowly encrusted it’s way into this mess.
Yesterday I noticed something, color on the growth rim! Also slight color changes to a green/blue or purple in a few spots in the top. I am trying not to get excited over a brownie but I have put too much time into this one and have hopes it will finally take off and grow normally. I have no idea what it is since I have not got any actual new branch tip growth. Any ideas are welcome.

B2E51EA0-A342-437C-B363-31FC275DA8B5.jpeg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don’t know but I hope you get the blue back.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue is on it’s way I hope! If it’s purple with just a blue rim I will be pleased but if it’s blue in all the tips I will be happy I kept it for sure. Might be almost 7 years since we got the original Mari piece.

8F798705-8914-4C10-914C-0902FFD20086.jpeg

The tanks coming around finally and I stopped by a store I rarely get to go to and picked up a few new pieces.
All that’s left to do is hook up a doser and mount the cheato reactor on the wall. Po4 is still undesirably high and I believe it’s one reason some stuff isn’t growing or turned around yet. Hopefully I get time to finish moving a few things around and mount the smaller stuff on the sides of the tank. Then all that’s left to do is take some pictures with the cannon and let things go.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killing it in the tub bro can wait to see what you can do when everything is in the tank. Amazing colors

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue is on it’s way I hope! If it’s purple with just a blue rim I will be pleased but if it’s blue in all the tips I will be happy I kept it for sure. Might be almost 7 years since we got the original Mari piece.

8F798705-8914-4C10-914C-0902FFD20086.jpeg

The tanks coming around finally and I stopped by a store I rarely get to go to and picked up a few new pieces.
All that’s left to do is hook up a doser and mount the cheato reactor on the wall. Po4 is still undesirably high and I believe it’s one reason some stuff isn’t growing or turned around yet. Hopefully I get time to finish moving a few things around and mount the smaller stuff on the sides of the tank. Then all that’s left to do is take some pictures with the cannon and let things go.

Sweet setup Paul!

Nice piece too new growth almost makes it look like a solitaryensis?

Love this setup, its like a indoor reef pond! oldschool too! luminarc minis? big ol euroreef skimmer and bionic hand dosing- safe, proven and simple.

I swear, if more "green" hobbyists would first adopt these "oldschool" methods vs diving headfirst into all the gadgetry and overcomplicated systems/ methods for their first year or two in the hobby, they would encounter far less problems/frustration.

Awesome reef tub man!

-Corey

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I had one of the short Rubbermaids a long time ago for a growout tank. That was one of my favorites

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killing it in the tub bro can wait to see what you can do when everything is in the tank. Amazing colors

Thanks! It’s been a while since I setup a tank that was planned for growing things big and I am excited. I got a few bumps out of the road and am hoping this just goes smooth from here.

Who does not like a tide pool of sps in their house?
It's beautiful.

I do love the tide pool feel of it :). Thankfully I don’t care about aesthetics!

That skimmer looks like a beast! Is that a DIY?

Yea in a way. I think it’s an old euro reef that I fixed and plumbed to run on a 1” mazzei injector and mag 18.

I love everything about this. Well done, sir.

I am glad others appreciate the effort. Originally I was going to setup a display but I found things I liked about the tub. Not seeing in the tank is good so I don’t having the feeling of needing to fiddle with corals and also no worries of tank failure are high on the list. No sump was the main thing I was dreading though. So far after the cycle from the breakdown and change it’s working.

I like the tub setup. You are going to have an amazing tank once you move the corals to a glass tank.

Oh man I hope that gets to happen if it gets full! We need to move to an actual house with land so we can have space along with our hobbies! If that happens in a year or two I would be so pleased.

Sweet setup Paul!

Nice piece too new growth almost makes it look like a solitaryensis?

Love this setup, its like a indoor reef pond! oldschool too! luminarc minis? big ol euroreef skimmer and bionic hand dosing- safe, proven and simple.

I swear, if more "green" hobbyists would first adopt these "oldschool" methods vs diving headfirst into all the gadgetry and overcomplicated systems/ methods for their first year or two in the hobby, they would encounter far less problems/frustration.

Awesome reef tub man!

-Corey

Man you could be right about the soli ID! Now I am bummed. I grew one a while ago and the colors are pretty on point along with the wierd lumpy encrusting growth while not happy. I wasn’t planning on keeping one of thoes in the tub so I pray your wrong and hopefully it will show us what it is very soon. I guess if the rim is a good blue I may find a spot for it for a while.
Yea I would love to be able to skin the outside of this and hide the wiring in the bottom, but that would look funny with the kitchen not finished and floors not trimmed ;)
I am not sure the ideal mounting height for these minis, I thought I remember people having them about 18” off the water? I would like to lower them but I thought the corners looked dim, like they threw most of the light straight down I am used to large reflectors.
I have taught a few people and been involved pretty hands on with each person. Every tank was simple. They all did well until each one would at some point get a bright idea without running it by me to see if it was actually a good one.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I had one of the short Rubbermaids a long time ago for a growout tank. That was one of my favorites

Yea I did a 50 gallon with a 100 gallon sump at my parents house in their basement. I wasn’t living there so that made it a little tricky but eventually I brought it all home and broke it down because I couldn’t find the time.
D8FCFDC2-A364-4F84-9CA8-F09D6C3EF7A8.jpeg
35C603BD-F03A-4C2D-B714-B84A25C4E83E.jpeg

This is a coral I have had for a long time that was in the tub coloring up at the time. It gets a nice blue in the tips under really strong 10k light and the branches would run pink towards the end. These days it looks a little different and has a bit more purple. I have wanted to run 10k bulbs on this tank but didn’t want to see that bright of a white light out of the corner of my eyes.
E711E80F-A6BD-48D5-92EE-958C218F70E4.jpeg

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I started with sponge power and Pohls extra. I am dosing 1.5 times sponge power and will be at recommended dose of pohls extra next week. Once things are growing well I will probably use aquaforest micro e and the one that has the small amount of copper sulphate in it I think they call it energy maybe.
The pohls extra is new for me, I am wondering if it’s going to show any differences since my po4 is up. The cheato in the reactor grows from a tiny bit and fills the reactor in a week which is way quicker than I figured it would grow and adds weekly work which I don’t like at all. Even with dosing around 150 ml of vinegar daily. I am still adding stump remover every few days when I can remember in order to keep nitrates registered and keep po4 from rising. I am debating running gfo in a reactor to get it under control this time.
The acro pictured above I got from Mr Coral back in the day. Seems to be some kind of tort variant and I have spread it around the area in the past, not sure if many still have it but I know a few do. I will try and get an updated shot of the piece I still have in the first round of pictures. It’s just green and purple in most tanks unless in really high light it will get the bright blue tips with a nice fluorescent blue shine.

Last edited:

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I remember you posting that setup on Salt-city.org back in the day, made me consider something like it but it's not really cat friendly lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back