OP
OP
Pauliex77x

Pauliex77x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a long time since I posted an update here. ill type some stuff then add a few pics from the phone.

So the Lagoon hit a wall a while back. My RBTA started being really unhappy and deflating and there was an aiptasia issue that im still dealing with. my Nitrates must have bottomed out for too long and a really bad DINO outbreak happened which i think killed the nem and most of my CuC. over the past weekend I did a 3 day Blackout and also started a Dr. Tims Refresh and waste away treatment which really seems to be working well. ive slowly brough up the nitrates to about 13ppm or so as of an hour ago. after i finish the waste away treatments ive got some microbacter7 to start dosing a bit of so the dino's dont return. The corals and fish though seem to be doing really well. i have about 15 or so frags of a hollywood stunner that needed to be cut up because it was shading out everything else in the tank. my weeping willow is about the size of my palm and my Hammer garden has more than doubled in size. i recently ran the skimmer air hose out the window and my PH went from 7.8 or 7.9 to 8.25 overnight. things are slowly starting to come back around but slow progress is better than no progress.

The DIY 20L on the other hand has really improved since i started dosing daily and not just weekly water changes (honestly dont know how people do it). its mostly a zoa and mushroom tank with a decent sized devils hand coral in the back corner. Im using the fuge section as a frag holding tank until the new tank i have in the works is ready for business. this will be a softy tank that i plan to add some Ornamental macro's to.

with having the DiY tank and the AIO tank i would definately recommend to anyone thinking of getting in the hobby to go with a drilled tank and sump. its only about a 5g difference in water volume but i feel like corrections and maintenance are soooo much easier with the sump. its been so much smoother than the lagoon. ill post a few pictures when i get done with testing for nitrates and alk becuase the nitrates up here were bottomed out as well, and i dont want another dino outbreak lol.

OP
OP
Pauliex77x

Pauliex77x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some picks. First the lagoon.
IMG_20220317_203625826.jpg
IMG_20220317_203638091.jpg
IMG_20220317_203646490.jpg
IMG_20220317_203702132.jpg
IMG_20220317_203708690.jpg
IMG_20220317_203653053.jpg
IMG_20220317_203720173.jpg

Now some of the 20Diy

IMG_20220310_204631779.jpg
IMG_20220310_204751946.jpg
IMG_20220310_204941549.jpg
IMG_20220310_204958367.jpg
IMG_20220317_204035283.jpg
IMG_20220317_204050570.jpg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a long time since I posted an update here. ill type some stuff then add a few pics from the phone.

So the Lagoon hit a wall a while back. My RBTA started being really unhappy and deflating and there was an aiptasia issue that im still dealing with. my Nitrates must have bottomed out for too long and a really bad DINO outbreak happened which i think killed the nem and most of my CuC. over the past weekend I did a 3 day Blackout and also started a Dr. Tims Refresh and waste away treatment which really seems to be working well. ive slowly brough up the nitrates to about 13ppm or so as of an hour ago. after i finish the waste away treatments ive got some microbacter7 to start dosing a bit of so the dino's dont return. The corals and fish though seem to be doing really well. i have about 15 or so frags of a hollywood stunner that needed to be cut up because it was shading out everything else in the tank. my weeping willow is about the size of my palm and my Hammer garden has more than doubled in size. i recently ran the skimmer air hose out the window and my PH went from 7.8 or 7.9 to 8.25 overnight. things are slowly starting to come back around but slow progress is better than no progress.

The DIY 20L on the other hand has really improved since i started dosing daily and not just weekly water changes (honestly dont know how people do it). its mostly a zoa and mushroom tank with a decent sized devils hand coral in the back corner. Im using the fuge section as a frag holding tank until the new tank i have in the works is ready for business. this will be a softy tank that i plan to add some Ornamental macro's to.

with having the DiY tank and the AIO tank i would definately recommend to anyone thinking of getting in the hobby to go with a drilled tank and sump. its only about a 5g difference in water volume but i feel like corrections and maintenance are soooo much easier with the sump. its been so much smoother than the lagoon. ill post a few pictures when i get done with testing for nitrates and alk becuase the nitrates up here were bottomed out as well, and i dont want another dino outbreak lol.
Good to see you back Paulie. Sorry to hear about the Dino’s and stuff but it seems like you are getting that back under control. Post up an FTS of that DIY 20l, I don’t think I’ve seen it yet. I have an extra 20l and a 10g that I’ve always wanted to set up as a plumbed system just to practice with plumbing and a sump but I have nowhere to put it.

OP
OP
Pauliex77x

Pauliex77x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see you back Paulie. Sorry to hear about the Dino’s and stuff but it seems like you are getting that back under control. Post up an FTS of that DIY 20l, I don’t think I’ve seen it yet. I have an extra 20l and a 10g that I’ve always wanted to set up as a plumbed system just to practice with plumbing and a sump but I have nowhere to put it.
Here is a FTS of the 20. It was taken right as the lights came on this morning.
IMG_20220320_122817579.jpg

OP
OP
Pauliex77x

Pauliex77x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new phone so took some pictures with the lens on a better camera. Here are a few of them.
20220327_212913.jpg
20220327_212924.jpg
20220327_212934.jpg
20220327_212953.jpg
20220327_213002.jpg
20220327_213011.jpg
20220327_213027.jpg
20220327_213139.jpg
20220327_213204.jpg
20220327_213554.jpg

I've been debating on what I eventually want for this tank. Originally I wanted a Zoa and mushroom garden which I've started, but I want something a little different as well. So I've decided along with those types of corals that I'm going to try and add some ornamental macro to the display. I have a few Christmas tree's growing in the sump along with the red pom pom already. Yesterday I added some cadmium(?) And 2 shaving brush's
20220329_161358.jpg
20220329_161402.jpg
20220329_161406.jpg

Calcium, magnesium and PH were a little low after testing everything yesterday. I've run the skimmer line out the window and pH has been around 8.2 since but I turned the skimmer off to get the nitrates up from about 5ppm. Brightwell neonitro works pretty good for that.

Dosing some calcium and magnesium to get it slowly back into a normal range then I'll get the consumption rate to dial in the dosing.

I need a better magnesium additive. Brightwel magnesion-p is a bit frustrating to use. A ready mixed solution that's easy to use is more my speed.

OP
OP
Pauliex77x

Pauliex77x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lagoon is on the upswing I hope. After a 3 day blackout two weeks ago I started the Dr Tim's refresh and waste away treatment. I've dialed back the t5's from 6 to 4 hours a day. I'm not 100% sure that it was actually dinos in the tank. I had a 13ppm nitrate reading about a week or so ago. Yesterday it was at .2ppm.

I wanna slowly bring the nitrates back up to around 10. Magnesium was a little low as well but magnesium and me aren't getting along well right now. I'm gonna use the skimmer for 6-8 hours during the day now that I've run the air hose out the window it helps with ph. I also got a chunk of chaeto in the hopes that it will outcompete whatever the algae is that's growing on the glass and the equipment.

I think I've said it before here but sumps and drilled tanks make life so much easier. I feel like the DIY 20 is much easier steer while the Lagoon goes downhill faster even with similar water volume.

Baby steps but hopefully it's heading in the right direction.

The frag system is almost ready for livestock. The skimmer got delivered today. Just waiting on the LFS to get an ai prime or two in stock and I plan to use some plexy Glass I have laying around to make some classy DIY frag racks. Almost ready to start selling and trading.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lagoon is on the upswing I hope. After a 3 day blackout two weeks ago I started the Dr Tim's refresh and waste away treatment. I've dialed back the t5's from 6 to 4 hours a day. I'm not 100% sure that it was actually dinos in the tank. I had a 13ppm nitrate reading about a week or so ago. Yesterday it was at .2ppm.

I wanna slowly bring the nitrates back up to around 10. Magnesium was a little low as well but magnesium and me aren't getting along well right now. I'm gonna use the skimmer for 6-8 hours during the day now that I've run the air hose out the window it helps with ph. I also got a chunk of chaeto in the hopes that it will outcompete whatever the algae is that's growing on the glass and the equipment.

I think I've said it before here but sumps and drilled tanks make life so much easier. I feel like the DIY 20 is much easier steer while the Lagoon goes downhill faster even with similar water volume.

Baby steps but hopefully it's heading in the right direction.

The frag system is almost ready for livestock. The skimmer got delivered today. Just waiting on the LFS to get an ai prime or two in stock and I plan to use some plexy Glass I have laying around to make some classy DIY frag racks. Almost ready to start selling and trading.
Looks like things are on the upswing. What are you going to use for a frag tank? I’ve been slowly prepping to get a small one started myself. I figure I’ve got a few zoas that grow quickly enough that I’ll be able trade frags for credit at the lfs for other things I want/need.

OP
OP
Pauliex77x

Pauliex77x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like things are on the upswing. What are you going to use for a frag tank? I’ve been slowly prepping to get a small one started myself. I figure I’ve got a few zoas that grow quickly enough that I’ll be able trade frags for credit at the lfs for other things I want/need.
My cousin and I are going half on a low boy 50 gallon tank. He has more room so it's staying with him. We bought a sump off fb market place a few years ago for like 50$ that he never used. Ended up getting a nice eshopps one for his 75 for free. Just using some spare parts around that we had to get it going for now. Plan to use a prime 16 to get started and add more as we stock up on stuff. Bubble magus curve 5 skimmer came yesterday so besides the light and a few frag racks that I plan to make were ready for business. the light were almost

Back