OP
OP
P

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to take this project on. I would love to see pictures to see your mods

Here's some pictures from the sump. Excuse all the cables and the messy cabinet. The first pic is from the day I installed it, the rest are from this morning, should give you a bit of an idea how fast I'm using up the roll.

60839974645__6E340890-E4A5-4598-AC8B-24ACF9B932A3.JPG
IMG_1651.JPEG
IMG_1652.JPEG
IMG_1653.JPEG
IMG_1654.JPEG

OP
OP
P

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, if anyone is curious, I had to replace the first Clarisea SK-3000 fleece roll today, and it took all of about 5 minutes. It was the the "normal" size that comes with the SK-3000, which is 25m, and it lasted 4 weeks on my tank.

Of course all the online vendors sell the XL rolls that are 40m vs 25m, so the one I just put on the roller has about 60% more fleece, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I'll probably have to replace this one after about 6-7 weeks. Hows that vs washing socks out every few days or filter floss every week?

Also, if anyone is curious, the Ammonia spike that started this upgrade? Ended up being a failed Seneye ammonia sensor. You can read about that little adventure here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ammonia-slowly-climbing.715078/

BlackLabelCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the quality of the replacement roll VS original roll? I’ve read that all the replacements are of less quality, which deters me from buying one.

I want one so I’m hoping it’s not as bad as reviews have made them out to be.

OP
OP
P

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the quality of the replacement roll VS original roll? I’ve read that all the replacements are of less quality, which deters me from buying one.

I want one so I’m hoping it’s not as bad as reviews have made them out to be.
So I heard that there were issues with the Gen 1 rolls, but the roll I just put on feels just like the same stuff as the original roll. I'll keep tabs on it however to see how well it fairs.

OP
OP
P

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Addition! I picked up a GHL KH Director for a steal and got that rigged up last night. Need something to use as a shelf/equipment mount other than my mini-fridge but it's working like a charm for now. Automated Alk monitoring here we come!

OP
OP
P

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Addition! I picked up a GHL KH Director for a steal and got that rigged up last night. Need something to use as a shelf/equipment mount other than my mini-fridge but it's working like a charm for now. Automated Alk monitoring here we come!
So I'm guessing the GHL needs some time to find it's groove? So far the KHD has been telling me that my Alk is going up - Saturday it read 8.8dkh, yesterday it was 9.3dkh, and today it's 9.7dkh. All of which is odd because my Alk is normally closer to 10 - My hanna showed 10.2 this morning. We'll see where this all ends up after a few more days.

OP
OP
P

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the further adventures of my KHD - It's randomly dropping tests (telling me my alk is 0.0 dKH) and GHL isn't sure why that might be. This is causing it to over-dose the tank it looks like, but that's not a huge deal because well, I'm only setting up the dosing to do 8 ml a day, so an extra ml or two isn't going to kill anything in my 112g system. However I'd love to get this nailed down and stabilized. Alk was up to 11.1 dKH according to the KHD after the last "0.0" test, so I've just turned all dosing off for now to watch how things progress. I'll re-calc my dosing needs after I see how long it takes to get the tank back to 10 dKH.

In other news, my Clarisea SK-3000 roll is almost used up. I guessed back on May 10th that this roll might last me 6-7 weeks, and it's been 6 weeks, so yay! Guess confirmed!

Here's a FTS of the tank and a quick video for the curious. You'll only see a few frags this time because I'm basically starting over due to the Seneye debacle linked above. Lost most of my corals from that, so I picked up a few frag packs and some auction winnings care of WWC. Hopefully I'll get the KHD nailed down shortly and between that and the mini (like 2 gallon) water changes I'm doing every other day (I really do like my AutoAqua Smart Touch AWC) my tank can be happy and stable finally. Then, more corals! IMG_1718.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_1716.MP4
    8.6 MB
OP
OP
P

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, it's been a while, so update time. KHD is (mostly) working. Not getting a IOND like I was originally planning considering how much of a pita the KHD has been. Maybe if it's consistent for a while longer I'll think about it again. Of course maybe someone will have a better solution by that point as well.

My Nero 5's almost ate another one of my fish. Ate my Long Spine urchin (Ripped his poor spines right off, even with a nem guard) and so they got yanked from the tank. That, plus the fact that one of my wrasses made it through the tiny freaking hole between the net top and the glass that I had for the Nero's cables just synched it for me. Picked up some MP10's. Found out that while I have enough room between the bottom of my stand and the wall to fit an MP10, I DON'T have enough room between the tank and the wall... cuz well, the wall isn't square. Mounting them both on one side didn't work because they don't have enough push to drive water all the way across the tank, so the 1/3rd if the tank near the problem wall was mostly a big dead spot. Even mounting them up near the top in sync they couldn't do it, too much disruption in their flow from the return. So they lasted a few days until I picked up an MP40. Now that, that works like a charm. One mounted on the side of my tank running at about 55% pushes water all the way across the tank so I have a nice variable current with the "Middle" and most of the top of my rock work seeing higher turbulent flow, the left side seeing moderate flow (from the return and the intake current to the MP40), and the right side seeing lower flow. I think it'll work out well. Anyone looking for any MP10's or Nero 5's? I'll probably throw them up on the market place a bit later after I finish cleaning the Nero's up a bit.

Also, coraline has started to go crazy, so YAY! and I finally moved my frags to the rockwork. I don't have many because I've just been super hesitant about buying more corals after basically losing just about everything twice. Right now it's Zoa's, a few mushrooms, some blasto's, some favia, an acan, a monti, and a lepto that I'm hoping recovers after being bulldozed and swept under some rocks before I found it again. I originally was just trying to use epoxy to hold them on the rock, but the next morning I had half of them missing after being knocked off by I'm guessing my snails. Now everything is attached with a glue/epoxy/glue sandwich so hopefully my snails won't knock it off again. And yes, before anyone freaks out, the Zoa's are on their own islands. I've read too many stories about zoa's and GSPs taking over rockwork. So they're on islands, with multiple frags depending on the size of the island. hopefully I'll have some neat zoa gardens when they grow out.

At this point I'm just sitting back and watching what the coral do. Hopefully I haven't screwed up my placement and nothing dies off on me. If all goes well, I'll probably buy some more corals in a month or three.

Other than that, I'm pondering some more fish. I lost my favorite wrasse to the jump that caused me to swap out the Nero's, so I'd love to get another Fairy or Flasher wrasse. And I've always wanted a Mandarin, so I've started pod stocking in preparation for that. Been thinking about converting one of my old 20g frag tanks to a Phyto/Pod cultivation system, but I'll have to do some more research there. We'll see. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
P

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Been a while, Tank's still up, but I'm currently recovering from a crash that happened while I was out of town. My pet sitter found it the next morning, We had a power outage in the area it looks like and the whole house went out back in January. When it came back up, the fuse that keeps the tank powered must have blown, so nothing in the tank came up. Heater was out so the temp crashed, all pumps but one backup powerhead died, no lights, no filtration. Half the fish didn't make it, and I arrived home to find most of my non-softie coral dead or dying off. Strangely the 'nems survived. They just split. There's 11 of them now. Coming back from that I ended up with a massive, and I mean massive hair algae outbreak. I told the wife that if I couldn't get the tank looking better by April I was going to find homes for the remaining fish and take it down. It's April. The remaining fish are healthy, the 'nems are bubbly, the algae is mostly back under control, parameters are looking decent, and things are looking up again. Give it a few more weeks, and I might actually go pickup some new coral, and try my hand at LPS again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back