Pavo Damsel Breeding Behavior

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jimbo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Biota_Marine I have a group of 7 pavo damsels and as I was walking past the tank today I noticed one of the largest damsels had large white-ish lines. When I took a closer look the lines almost immediately disappeared as the group reformed thinking they were about to be fed.

I was curious if this might be spawning behavior or if it's something you've seen before?

Thanks!

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jimbo, this definitely could be the beginning spawning behavior. With damselfish a lot of them have intricate color patterns during mating that are actually invisible to us so it can be hard to tell when they're communicating in this way. The photo below shows what we see vs what the fish are displaying to each other. The next thing I'd look for is for one or a few of them to clean up an area for eggs. Being that your Pavo are likely pretty young it could be a few attempts before the eggs are properly fertilized.

damsel.PNG

OP
OP
Jimbo7

Jimbo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I caught him/her doing it again and tried to take a picture standing back from the tank a ways. Its really hard with my LEDs to get a good photo as my phone does not like the flicker but I thought it was interesting. You can see the largest one turns a very dark blue in comparison to the others and the light patches appear across the top. As soon as you move closer to the tank it changes back to the brighter blue and the patches disappear.

Just thought it was interesting and worth sharing!
1620058857212.png

1620058873028.png

k.schoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this behavior the other day! In fact, saw it quite frequently, with my biggest Pavo - named, Kahuna. It was accompanied by a swift shaking movement and spreading of the dorsal fins. Kahuna was also cleaning off a large area in “his/her?” cave. Today, the eggs appeared on the spot kahuna cleaned to lay them. The picture shows kahuna’s eggs with about 100 in focus and kahuna guarding them. There are probably more than 1000 eggs.

Attachments

• D812279F-77D4-4735-8657-6564B1562DB7.png
    D812279F-77D4-4735-8657-6564B1562DB7.png
    743.3 KB · Views: 93

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this behavior the other day! In fact, saw it quite frequently, with my biggest Pavo - named, Kahuna. It was accompanied by a swift shaking movement and spreading of the dorsal fins. Kahuna was also cleaning off a large area in “his/her?” cave. Today, the eggs appeared on the spot kahuna cleaned to lay them. The picture shows kahuna’s eggs with about 100 in focus and kahuna guarding them. There are probably more than 1000 eggs.
Wow! That's a great photo. Is it OK if we share this photo? Shall we credit "k.schoff on Reef2Reef" or would you like a different photo credit? How long have you had your Pavos?

k.schoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That's a great photo. Is it OK if we share this photo? Shall we credit "k.schoff on Reef2Reef" or would you like a different photo credit? How long have you had your Pavos?
Yes, please share and Kurt Schoffstall on reef2reef is great for photo credit. They are biota pavos and they came under my care in January 2021.

OP
OP
Jimbo7

Jimbo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar updates. I'm thinking my second largest is getting ready to lay eggs?
Is the largest the male? I had assumed the largest was a female since they are "cousins" to clownfish

Shes looking very very plump.

1640194734722.png

1640194760557.png

k.schoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also reading this could be constipation...

@k.schoff any insight? Did you notice any of yours get big like this?
I haven’t noticed that. Their bodies have been generally similar. The most obvious behaviors before eggs is intense cleaning and a stronger tenancy to stay by the nest.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back