PB tang with flukes in QT

jmathia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a PB tang ( and fox face and gold face goby) on day 3 at 2.0 ppm of copper power ( already did a 9 day treatment of GC* kanaplex + furan-2). Ramped it up over 8 days. Also started metroplex three days ago. The powder blue hs visible flukes in face (he’s pretty good at scrapping them off his face... eats well, colour is good, etc). Question is, what should I do: 1) stop metroplex and dose with prazipro and keep copper power stable; 2) stop metro and copper and do prazipro then start 30 days again with copper power and metro; 3) start prazipro and keep doing copper power with metro.. i.e., do all three and aerate heavily; 4) something else? Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a fourth option - use hyposalinity. That will control flukes very well and also works against ich (but not velvet).

I'm not sure why so many people use metronidazole and copper at the same time. Did you read that somewhere here? These two drugs have almost 100% overlap in what diseases they control, (aside from internal protozoans for the metro if dosed in food). Copper works much better though, and using both at the same time adds extra stress.

I would continue the copper and dose with praziquantel 3x every 10 days. If you think you can safely give the PBT a FW dip at the start, that would be a good idea.

If the flukes are large and oval shaped, it is one of the egglaying Neobenedenia flukes. These are very difficult to control with prazi because the eggs are not affected, and the eggs can take up to a month to hatch.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jmathia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a fourth option - use hyposalinity. That will control flukes very well and also works against ich (but not velvet).

I'm not sure why so many people use metronidazole and copper at the same time. Did you read that somewhere here? These two drugs have almost 100% overlap in what diseases they control, (aside from internal protozoans for the metro if dosed in food). Copper works much better though, and using both at the same time adds extra stress.

I would continue the copper and dose with praziquantel 3x every 10 days. If you think you can safely give the PBT a FW dip at the start, that would be a good idea.

If the flukes are large and oval shaped, it is one of the egglaying Neobenedenia flukes. These are very difficult to control with prazi because the eggs are not affected, and the eggs can take up to a month to hatch.

Jay
Hi Jay, Thanks for the response. IN regards to the question of why metro plus copper, Humble.com is the source (https://humble.fish/quarantine/). Based on the expertise of Humble...it would explain why so many are following that methodology, including myself.

I like the FW dip idea but based on the insane anxiety of the foxface tankmate, I will forgo trying to net the PB tang until absolutely necessary and drop the metro and start the prazipro, post WC.

Luckily, the flukes i have seen are elongated (not large and oval shaped) so I'll hopefully have success with the prazi.

Thanks again,

Jen

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back