PBrT covered in ich

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking at all my fish as I do everyday and noticed today what seems to be my PBrT covered in ich. I have not added anything in over a month, the last thing I added was a harlequin shrimp in the beginning of November and before that I can’t even tell you what what added before that. It seems as if my yellow tang also has some dots on his left side. All these fish were either pre quarantined or placed in a tank and observed for a month before putting into display. PBrT has been with me for over a year also.
The only thing I can think of is that I cut down on my feeding this past week due to trying to lower nitrates maybe these fish are getting stressed? I’m not sure. I do not have the capability to QT all of my fish with copper considering I only have a 20 Gallon hospital tank. He is eating like a beast still and is very very active as he has always been along with all my other fish. I am just gonna feed a lot of Nori and put vitamins and garlic extract in the food.
Hope it doesn’t get worse

48E9D37E-9979-4C36-BB65-2FB0568919C2.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking at all my fish as I do everyday and noticed today what seems to be my PBrT covered in ich. I have not added anything in over a month, the last thing I added was a harlequin shrimp in the beginning of November and before that I can’t even tell you what what added before that. It seems as if my yellow tang also has some dots on his left side. All these fish were either pre quarantined or placed in a tank and observed for a month before putting into display. PBrT has been with me for over a year also.
The only thing I can think of is that I cut down on my feeding this past week due to trying to lower nitrates maybe these fish are getting stressed? I’m not sure. I do not have the capability to QT all of my fish with copper considering I only have a 20 Gallon hospital tank. He is eating like a beast still and is very very active as he has always been along with all my other fish. I am just gonna feed a lot of Nori and put vitamins and garlic extract in the food.
Hope it doesn’t get worse

48E9D37E-9979-4C36-BB65-2FB0568919C2.jpeg

Can you post a picture taken under white light? All I can see in your pic is some cloudiness on its right pectoral fin. I'm trying to get a sense of how advanced the ich is - at some point, in-tank treatments are going to be useless, and you'll need to move all of the fish to a quarantine tank for treatment with copper or hypo.

While the harlequin could have acted as a vector, you may not ever be able to pinpoint the source of the parasite. A change in feeding/food types can potentially cause ich to break. In many cases though, it just happens with no real discernable stressor.

Jay

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture taken under white light? All I can see in your pic is some cloudiness on its right pectoral fin. I'm trying to get a sense of how advanced the ich is - at some point, in-tank treatments are going to be useless, and you'll need to move all of the fish to a quarantine tank for treatment with copper or hypo.

While the harlequin could have acted as a vector, you may not ever be able to pinpoint the source of the parasite. A change in feeding/food types can potentially cause ich to break. In many cases though, it just happens with no real discernable stressor.

Jay
Thank you for the quick response! Once I get home I will send pictures under white lights

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed well, low stress, and a Uv can help

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had an outbreak I used Polyp Lab Reef Safe Medic and the ick went away. Just follow the directions. Please note I didn't say I cured the tank but just the outbreak went away after using it. $50 to try and save a $100 fish is worth a shot in my opinion. I raised the temp a few degrees and treated for 14 days and that was the beginning of September I believe. No outbreaks since.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Every fish with me was watched for a month in a separate tank and only treated if needed to be prior to going into display
Oh okay. To prevent the likelihood of this happening I will always quarantine with copper. I know there’s many debates on it, but if everything goes in goes through a quarantine I don’t think this would happen. 30 day quarantine with out copper the parasite can still be hidden in the gills. Copper would kill off when they become tomonts

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So now your at ich management … “healthy feeding” and big UV. You certainly don’t plan to break down the tank to catch them and run a QT do you? Those tangs are ich magnets no joke

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have had a UV set up, and I’m gonna go back to my normal feeding schedule
If you don’t have coral you can lower salinity. Which slows the ich reproduction and also lowers stress on fish

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now your at ich management … “healthy feeding” and big UV. You certainly don’t plan to break down the tank to catch them and run a QT do you? Those tangs are ich magnets no joke
If I was capable too I would but I only have a 20G tank to do that in and I have way too many fish to cram into that 20G

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
dang bro to be honest , get 2 more 40 breeders and run three QT tanks get rid of ich. If you have that many fish then your also running the risk of loosing all your animals.

other option yes is to get UV that you said you already have.

It’s really up to you how much elbow work you want to do in the QT setup. For me, I had to do QT because I didn’t want to lose not 1 more fish more. Losing my blenny was a stab in the heart

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have had a UV set up, and I’m gonna go back to my normal feeding schedule
That most likely will not be enough to stop this infection - it may be already pretty well advanced, based on you saying the fish was covered in spots. The tipping point varies, but when I can see more than 30 spots on one side of a fish, I find that ich management often doesn't work.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back