PBT Flashing like crazy. Has been in QT for over 70 days. More below

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys have been in QT since the end of March. Started with Freshwater dips and Copper. Lately I have noticed flashing and heavy breathing, so I dosed Prazi as no spots were visible, expecting flukes. I did both treatments of Prazi and he is still flashing. No signs of ich or velvet. The only visible damage he hasanywhere is where he has rubbed on the PVC in QT while flashing. The Melanurus in there with him has attempted to clean him, as well, focusing on his gills. I have lowered salinity, working on getting to 1.009. Presently at 1.012 while RODI makes up some more. Will his flashing get worse/more desperate as the Hypo begins to take effect? He is dashing about like never before, and just laid practically on his side in front of the Melanurus... Pretty confident of the diagnosis. The Purple Tang is beginning to flash now, too. Is this normal? The Chevron, wrasses, clowns, and anthia are acting perfectly normal. I imagine that the flashing could be due to irritation from the flukes bursting and/or letting go. Anyone experience this before? Freshwater dip reveals NO flukes in bucket after being in hypo in tank all day.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys have been in QT since the end of March. Started with Freshwater dips and Copper. Lately I have noticed flashing and heavy breathing, so I dosed Prazi as no spots were visible, expecting flukes. I did both treatments of Prazi and he is still flashing. No signs of ich or velvet. The only visible damage he hasanywhere is where he has rubbed on the PVC in QT while flashing. The Melanurus in there with him has attempted to clean him, as well, focusing on his gills. I have lowered salinity, working on getting to 1.009. Presently at 1.012 while RODI makes up some more. Will his flashing get worse/more desperate as the Hypo begins to take effect? He is dashing about like never before, and just laid practically on his side in front of the Melanurus... Pretty confident of the diagnosis. The Purple Tang is beginning to flash now, too. Is this normal? The Chevron, wrasses, clowns, and anthia are acting perfectly normal. I imagine that the flashing could be due to irritation from the flukes bursting and/or letting go. Anyone experience this before? Freshwater dip reveals NO flukes in bucket after being in hypo in tank all day.
Is he still in copper? It's not safe to use copper in hypo. It sounds like you've done your research so I'm assuming you already know that though. Just be sure not to change temp rapidly.

Hypo is very effective with Prazi resistant flukes and it's likely that he is irritated where they were attached so some flashing will be normal

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he still in copper? It's not safe to use copper in hypo. It sounds like you've done your research so I'm assuming you already know that though. Just be sure not to change temp rapidly.

Hypo is very effective with Prazi resistant flukes and it's likely that he is irritated where they were attached so some flashing will be normal
Was hoping so. They've been out of copper since mid April. Waiting for the DT fallow period to end, which is pretty much now. Beauty is, flukes pop up, seemingly out of nowhere. Perhaps they were on the wrasses and survived Copper. Hypo for everyone for the next week, I reckon. Thanks for the reply. Freaks me out seeing him dash about wildly like that.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping so. They've been out of copper since mid April. Waiting for the DT fallow period to end, which is pretty much now. Beauty is, flukes pop up, seemingly out of nowhere. Perhaps they were on the wrasses and survived Copper. Hypo for everyone for the next week, I reckon. Thanks for the reply. Freaks me out seeing him dash about wildly like that.
Copper won't kill flukes. Keep an eye out for infections where he's scratched himself up. You also need to monitor ph closely in hypo, anything under 7.5 will cause problems

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the ammonia level? If a fresh water dip revealed nothing, copper was at the proper levels and tested, I’m stumped. Call in the pros.

@ngoodermuth , @HotRocks , @4FordFamily .

Ammonia is 0, NO3 are 7. Just checked pH using Salifert. It reads 7.5-7.6. Problem is this test reads about 0.2 higher than my calibrated pH probe on the Apex. That could put me somewhere between 7.3, 7.4...

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our water does tend to have lower pH... didn't even think about it when I added the RODI to go Hypo. Think I should drain some and add some more salt water? Or is there a gentle way to raise pH without having to stop the Hypo treatment?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0, NO3 are 7. Just checked pH using Salifert. It reads 7.5-7.6. Problem is this test reads about 0.2 higher than my calibrated pH probe on the Apex. That could put me somewhere between 7.3, 7.4...
Read this, you can buffer ph with baking soda if needed. Just don't change it too fast
https://humble.fish/hyposalinity/

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our water does tend to have lower pH... didn't even think about it when I added the RODI to go Hypo. Think I should drain some and add some more salt water? Or is there a gentle way to raise pH without having to stop the Hypo treatment?
No, fish can tolerate a rapid drop in salinity but not a rapid increase. The ph isn't going to cause immediate problems so slowly get it up a little. 7.8 is fine

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mjrenz has you in good hands here. Flukes are a real pest, the prazi-resistant kind in particular.

They usually die during a freshwater dip. You can also use Prazi as a bath which is a higher concentration for a shorter duration which can be quite effective. I follow the directions on the prazipro bottle for a bath.

Good luck! :)

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 TSP = 0.5 pH in 75 gallons. That would leave me at approx 7.8 for now, accounting for test kit error vs Apex. May add another tomorrow. Thanks, guys!

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mjrenz has you in good hands here. Flukes are a real pest, the prazi-resistant kind in particular.

They usually die during a freshwater dip. You can also use Prazi as a bath which is a higher concentration for a shorter duration which can be quite effective. I follow the directions on the prazipro bottle for a bath.

Good luck! :)
Heck, that's what I did for 2 treatments... set them at 2.5mg/l. Is there a stronger shorter method that wasn't listed on my bottle? Wonder if labels changed...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck, that's what I did for 2 treatments... set them at 2.5mg/l. Is there a stronger shorter method that wasn't listed on my bottle? Wonder if labels changed...
I don’t remember the dosage, embarrassed to say but I remember doubling whatever it said. The bottle says you can do I did.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just making sure we are covering all the bases here... how long were they in copper, at what level? Were they transferred to a second QT after, or still in the same one as the copper treatment? Water changes, new water dosed before it hits the tank?

I’m a little reluctant to settle on prazi-resistant flukes when there were none in the freshwater dip...

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just making sure we are covering all the bases here... how long were they in copper, at what level? Were they transferred to a second QT after, or still in the same one as the copper treatment? Water changes, new water dosed before it hits the tank?

I’m a little reluctant to settle on prazi-resistant flukes when there were none in the freshwater dip...
I'm glad you took a look over this, I read that last night and ended up focused on the fact that he had already started hypo then forgot to ask for clarification

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back