Pbt in qt trying to eat

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a pbt in qt with the copper at 2.25 (almost at 2.5, it keeps going down)

The other fish in the tang are actively eating pellets and nori. Even the Achilles I was having a velvet scare with before started picking at the algae.

I noticed today that the pbt was trying to eat, but nothing was going into its mouth. It was putting its mouth directly over pellets when picking at them but none of them would actually enter its mouth. It did this several times. It would pick at a pellet but the pellet wouldn't even enter its mouth. It would go over to the nori and try, but the same thing would happen. It'll pick at the nori or tear a little piece off but nothing would actually enter its mouth. Tang has also shown notable weight loss, bones and stomach are showing through skin.

Could this be parasitic? If so, how do I treat it and Is it safe with copper?

medication on hand:
ruby reef rally
copper power
API General cure
Seachem metroplex
Seachem Kanaplex
Seachem Focus
Seachem Garlic guard
prazipro

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish that try to feed but cannot swallow food often have some sort of mechanical blockage....there is a feeding response, but they just can't eat. This is opposite of a fish that stops feeding because it is sick - it *could* eat, but because it is sick, it has no appetite. Therefore, I don't think there is any medication that would help in this regard. The fact that the tang has lost weight means that it isn't going to clear the issue on its own.

I've tube-fed fish many times, but it is tricky to do with a tang if you don't have access to a fish anesthetic.

Sorry - but it doesn't sound good for this fish....

Jay

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've tube-fed fish many times, but it is tricky to do with a tang if you don't have access to a fish anesthetic.

Sorry - but it doesn't sound good for this fish....

Jay

Thank you for replying! In this case, how would tube feeding a tang go? And what type of anesthetic do i need?

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Update: did a freshwater dip, acroflavine (rrr) dip, and transferred the tang to a copperless 10 gallon.

I'm not sure which of these did it but the tang has started eating. I guess I'll have to do the tank transfer method to get him through qt

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back