PBT Skin Irritation

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi have had this fish for like 4 years...aboutva year or 2 ago he developed this same skin irritation. I figured out my salinity was sky high corrected it and he was fine.... recently I redid my tank....bought all new live rock from KP Aquatics and he was fine....The last 3 weeks or so same thing came back....its not rich or velvet as far as I can tell... I checked my salinity and it was off a little 1.029 os so. had bad calibration fluid for refrac....just bought a new digital meter...anyhow....he eats jus no clue what it is....looks like a mucus problem... I have looked all around for metal in the tank and nothing...thanks

IMG_6262.jpg IMG_6261.jpg IMG_6260.jpg IMG_6259.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish breathing fast? Is it still eating? Are it’s eyes cloudy as the look in the photo?
If this wasn’t so severe looking, I’d be inclined to just chalk this up to idiopathic mucus plugs - they can develop fro water quality issues. However, this case is really severe, so I’m worried that there is another root cause here....
Jay

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its rapid not too bad..it has had this for like 3 weeks.. I have done massive water changes over this time....no ammonia....salitity is 1.025...temp 78....is it flukes...it is on fins...and pretty much everywhere...eyes not really cloudy....but seems to have this strips off the eyes...was thinking a freshwater dip

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip might rule out flukes. The slight rapid breathing is a concern, but the fact that the fish has had this for three weeks makes it a more chronic issue, so not velvet or ich.
Jay

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be flukes...like I said its on the fins and pretty much everywhere...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be flukes...like I said its on the fins and pretty much everywhere...
The spots themselves are not flukes, but it could be mucus production due to flukes that you can’t see.
Jay

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 5 min FW dip...few white things were are bottom of bucket but just a few....with as much as he has on him if it were flukes think I would have seen a bunch...and now it looks like his eyes are cloudy actually....any other ideas? Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 5 min FW dip...few white things were are bottom of bucket but just a few....with as much as he has on him if it were flukes think I would have seen a bunch...and now it looks like his eyes are cloudy actually....any other ideas? Thanks
Not much else comes to mind. You should wait 24 hours after a FW dip to be able to truly assess any changes.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, no. If you had a microscope you could do a skin scrape and try to see if anything s visible that way.
The fish is still eating, and has looked this way for about a month? Just not something I’ve ever seen before...
Jay

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah still alive.. eating not as much.. but eating.. could it be voltage? I think it is environmental.. have a chiller and after wc today I dhut off the pump to it.. think maybe something on it rusted out.. sending an icp out tomorrow as I was on road all last week.. well if you think of anything else let me know. Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any invertebrates in the tank? If so and if they are doing well, you can rule out heavy metal or other common toxic issues with the water.

Stray voltage (usually induced voltage) is a red herring, it has never been formally shown to cause any issues. The fish aren't grounded, so there is no current flow.

Jay

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

So my purple looks like it has the same thing...again does not look like ich...stringy white things....only on one part of the fish...the other is my blue and you can see it is covered....im lost

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back