PBT Skin Irritation

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PBT is breathing very fast and labored, whatever is going on is affecting its breathing. The fish's skin is just very congested. It visually doesn't look like ich or flukes, but the rapid breathing and lethargy point to some massive infection.

It is obvious that the PBT is close to dying. Did the FW dip that you gave it last week offer it any benefit? If so, definitely do another one.

The purple tang has the same issue, but in a very localized spot, I've not seen that before either. Neither ich nor flukes every do that, and it isn't velvet.

Are there other fish in the tank? Any symptoms at all with them?

Sorry I can't be of more help here....

Jay

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PBT is breathing very fast and labored, whatever is going on is affecting its breathing. The fish's skin is just very congested. It visually doesn't look like ich or flukes, but the rapid breathing and lethargy point to some massive infection.

It is obvious that the PBT is close to dying. Did the FW dip that you gave it last week offer it any benefit? If so, definitely do another one.

The purple tang has the same issue, but in a very localized spot, I've not seen that before either. Neither ich nor flukes every do that, and it isn't velvet.

Are there other fish in the tank? Any symptoms at all with them?

Sorry I can't be of more help here....

Jay
The dip did nothing.. I have a couple clowns and a couple gobblies. Had an anthias that was in the tank for a few years it died a few weeks ago.. and I just put in a royal gamma a week or so and it died. The clowns and hobbies seem fine.. only thing that changed was a complete redo of my tank with live rock form no aquatics.. maybe something came in on the rock. Not sure if another dip would do much. Sent an icp test out yesterday

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dip did nothing.. I have a couple clowns and a couple gobblies. Had an anthias that was in the tank for a few years it died a few weeks ago.. and I just put in a royal gamma a week or so and it died. The clowns and hobbies seem fine.. only thing that changed was a complete redo of my tank with live rock form no aquatics.. maybe something came in on the rock. Not sure if another dip would do much. Sent an icp test out yesterday
And thought my anthias and gamma died because I picked up a mantis that I have been trying to catch. At a loss

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kp aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just searching for more clues.... if the fish that died had no lesions/spots, then they weren't related.

Jay

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just searching for more clues.... if the fish that died had no lesions/spots, then they weren't related.

Jay
Yeah nothing like this.. could it be some type of virus bacteria brought in from the new rocks? Could a hitchhiker done any of it? Lastly should I do a dip again? Thanks again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah nothing like this.. could it be some type of virus bacteria brought in from the new rocks? Could a hitchhiker done any of it? Lastly should I do a dip again? Thanks again
No, if the first dip didn’t do anything, then a second one won’t either.
I don’t think any hitchhiker would do this directly, but any time you move an animal or rock from one tank to another, you run the risk of moving some disease as well.
I don’t know of a virus that could cause this. I suppose it could be bacterial, but it isn’t anything I’ve ever seen before.
Jay

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks.. the rock came from the keys to my tank so thought maybe something strange came in with it.. thanks again for the time..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back