PE Mysis contains what ingredients?

Jdgreef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the cloudiness. I try and suck up only the meat out of a specimen container and although my clown is nuts over it, I really do see a consistent food cloud in my 8 gallon. I've never experienced that before.

dactylo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually make my own food at home, so I know exactly what's in it. The fish love it and seem to always stay healthy. I have a lot of tangs and have never even gotten ich.

So the other day I went to the LFS to get some food, since my fridge is messed up (waiting on warranty service) and I lost all I had made. They said the PE Mysis was something like 69.5% protein and that the cheaper stuff was about 18%. What makes one shrimp have the much more protein than the other?

I continued to think about this as I got it home and fed it for a couple days. I also noticed that the water gets pretty cloudy when feeding mysis. What is this cloudy stuff? All the shrimp seem to be whole. If they were put in a blender, I'd expect small bits to make the water cloudy.

I noticed that my food freezes hard as a cube of ice but the mysis stays a little softer. Why? When I make home made ice cream, it also freezes hard, yet storebought ice cream will stay softer. This is due to antifreeze being put into it. Interestingly enough, it's the same stuff everybody on social media keeps complaining that's in Beneful dog food. Yeah, ice cream hasn't killed me yet.

So the big question....what is it in this PE Mysis food? I suspect something to keep it from freezing so hard, as well as some protein powder. They don't list ingredients on the bag, only the percentage of protein.

Ingredient in PE Mysis is frozen Mysis. The 69% protein content is dry weight. Frozen Mysis contains a lot les protein than that. Around 10-12%. The data provided is just misleading information.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ingredient in PE Mysis is frozen Mysis. The 69% protein content is dry weight. Frozen Mysis contains a lot les protein than that. Around 10-12%. The data provided is just misleading information.
There's other stuff in it, or it would freeze hard like an ice cube. Put some shrimp and as little water as possible in a ziplock and freeze it...it will be like an ice cube. This PE Mysis stays almost slushy, easy to break apart.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All mysis have basically the same protein content. Some companies display it in dry weight and others do it by wet weight.

If you do the math, they are all the same.

Hikari frozen plankton doesn't have any of that oily substance or pieces/particles if you prefer cleaner food. Your hands are still going to stink.

They are all good products. I use various types of raw foods (supermarket) and different mysis brands. Corals like all that juice and particles, especially SPS. If you see them protruding filaments and slim those are food nets the corals use to catch all that good stuff.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my corals all seem to get fed at the same time as the fish. :)

My apex shuts off the return pump during feed mode, and the tank clears up within the 5 minute feed time...and I do feed quite a bit at one time.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are folks seriously accusing PE of adding something to the food that isn't labeled and/or could be harmful?

All I know is PE frozen mysis is the best food I have ever fed my fish and corals, I feed it everyday.

I have recently begun to try the PE Pellets also and they are super! The fish love them. My powder brown I just got hasn't touched Hiakri pellets but he went straight for these and been chopping them up everyday since, still doesn't take to the Hakari too well.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are folks seriously accusing PE of adding something to the food that isn't labeled and/or could be harmful?

All I know is PE frozen mysis is the best food I have ever fed my fish and corals, I feed it everyday.

I have recently begun to try the PE Pellets also and they are super! The fish love them. My powder brown I just got hasn't touched Hiakri pellets but he went straight for these and been chopping them up everyday since, still doesn't take to the Hakari too well.
Read the post. I didn't accuse them of putting anything harmful in the food. How could I do that if I don't know what's in it. Do I think they putting something in that's not on the label? ABSOLUTELY!!! You'd have to be a fool to believe there is nothing in the package other than shrimp.

Tell me what's in it. Read the label. Explain to me why it doesn't freeze the same as other foods. Ever notice how homemade ice cream, put in the freezer, will be hard as ice, yet store bought doesn't freeze so hard? Why?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High fat produce don't freeze hard. Most ice cream don't contain Hufa's. Or dense concentrations of fats.

So I would consider trying to freeze lard, Corn oil , olive oil and cooked beef fat as an experiment.

Store bought ice creams contain specialized emulsifiers and also high concentrations of fats and air to prevent it from frezing solid.
Most home refrigeration does not reach temperatures low enough to solidify these compounds.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Worth a repeat.

@Engloid If you like your food to freeze hard then put more water in it. Water freezes like ice. ;)

If you like it to be breakable without the risk of putting an eye out, then less/zero water is good.

Water is also cheap....I don't like paying for water at food prices.

Further, Mysis are not that healthy for marine fish without the additives/gut loading. Wrong fat content. Same issue with brine shrimp and other terrestrial food sources.

So the real question to me is why is PE the only company doing adding in those Omega's – aren't the rest ripping us off? ;)

(If your ice cream is freezing hard like ice, you need a lot more fat in your cream! Store bought is probably made with skim milk. Gross!!)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Your homemade food could have the same Omega-issue depending on your recipe, BTW. You follow a guide of any sort to make your food?)

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High fat produce don't freeze hard. Most ice cream don't contain Hufa's. Or dense concentrations of fats.

So I would consider trying to freeze lard, Corn oil , olive oil and cooked beef fat as an experiment.

Store bought ice creams contain specialized emulsifiers and also high concentrations of fats and air to prevent it from frezing solid.
Most home refrigeration does not reach temperatures low enough to solidify these compounds.
So which is on the package as an ingredient, and in such high concentration to cause that effect?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE mysis are guy loaded. They are harvested at night when they rise to the top of the lake to feed on the plankton.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So which is on the package as an ingredient, and in such high concentration to cause that effect?
I belive it's the 8% crude fats listed there in the ingredients
Also in the preparation notes on the excess oils precipitated from the shrimp while freezing.

Have you contacted the manufacturer with you concerns ?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, by Hikari is the same way and is very popular and considered by many to be one of the very best frozen foods there is available.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff:
d7e6effe12276afd44559f29ad51dc99.jpg

Same deal, doesn't freeze solid like water. This is distributed by Hikari.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have PE, the small cubes, and yeah there's whole shrimp, but there's also tiny bits as well that only filter feeders or corals could eat.

I don't EVER drop the cube in my tank. I put it in a plastic cup filled halfway with RODI to dilute the phosphates and fillers out, then add vitamins and use a spoon to scoop out the shrimp. But even doing that, when I put the PE into the tank it seems like a white haze of stuff comes out of it. So I ended up switching back to Hikari Mysis with Vitamin C infused in it. You don't get that haze or whatever and all the tiny particulates. And PE says that they flash freeze the Mysis right on the boat. Well something is definitely in the "flash" part of the process.

As for the food being soft, mine isn't. I keep it on the top shelf of the door in the freezer. It depends where your freezer has its fan as well. Mine freezes from the top, where the ice cube maker is. So stuff at the bottom of the freezer will be softer than stuff at the top for me. You may also have something blocking the freezers output so some things don't get as cold. I also don't keep my freezer on its coldest setting because everything will be a hard block of ice with frost instead of just frozen.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading about the collection process on their website (and how they are deemed a nuisance introduced by man in the lake) and wondered if they get used for human consumption as well. Certainly seems like a great food source.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back