PE Mysis vs Hikari Mysis

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shopping around the prices for PE mysis and they are crazy expensive. $35 for a 1lbs flat pack, while Hikari is $15 a 1lbs flat pack. Is PE mysis that much better? Anyone with personal experience in both that want to chime?

They also have the 2.5lbs pack for $60 which is a bit better, but not much.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shopping around the prices for PE mysis and they are crazy expensive. $35 for a 1lbs flat pack, while Hikari is $15 a 1lbs flat pack. Is PE mysis that much better? Anyone with personal experience in both that want to chime?

I use P.E Mysis and I have been told that the shrimps are of bigger size and higher quality cant tell if that's true since I didn't compare it to other products .

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Much of the price is the shipping cost for frozen. At least for online retailers.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE mysis is WAY beefier than hikari which probably results in better nutrition for your fish. I highly recommend rinsing it if you go with PE because it’s very oily. That said, I’ve always used hikari mysis and my fish are still fat, healthy and colorful

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My anthias couldnt handle the large pieces from PE and used to have digestive issues. Hikari is perfect for them and my other smaller fish. It also doesn't smell nearly as strong. Hated dealing with PE because I'd have to wash my hands 2-3 times with soap to get rid of the smell.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, I just got 2 PE mysis flats. Maybe it'll end up being too big for my fish.

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much of the price is the shipping cost for frozen. At least for online retailers.

Actually these prices are from a LFS. Online vendors normally charge a flat rate of $30. The price isn't that much cheaper compared to LFS anyways. I rather support LFS than a online retailer.

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anthias couldnt handle the large pieces from PE and used to have digestive issues. Hikari is perfect for them and my other smaller fish. It also doesn't smell nearly as strong. Hated dealing with PE because I'd have to wash my hands 2-3 times with soap to get rid of the smell.

man good to know. Is it because the Hikari mysis is in bits and pieces or they are just a smaller mysis?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari mysis are smaller than PE. You can always shave the frozen PE into smaller pieces prior to thawing If needed.

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
man good to know. Is it because the Hikari mysis is in bits and pieces or they are just a smaller mysis?

They're smaller mysis, a lot smaller. I dont know where PE finds those monster shrimp. It's not a big deal though if you can break up the pieces before feeding.

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're smaller mysis, a lot smaller. I dont know where PE finds those monster shrimp. It's not a big deal though if you can break up the pieces before feeding.
I think i will just stick with Hikari. PE mysis is good for those people with xl fish. I am mainly keeping juvie angels and dwarf angels

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make your own frozen blend from the supermarket. It will be fresh, cheaper and your fish will love it. You will also save all that cash from shipping.
I throw shrimp, clams and squid.
Blend it and freeze in small cube trays.
I did this 7 months ago, spent about $30 and still have cubes left.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I specifically asked this the last time I was in Top Shelf here in Orlando. I use Hikari. I was told all the mysis come from the same source and that the PE is actually more oily. I also like how Hikari states it’s parasite free.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or use Larrys which is better all around since its a combination of different seafood plus other beneficial stuff.

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make your own frozen blend from the supermarket. It will be fresh, cheaper and your fish will love it. You will also save all that cash from shipping.
I throw shrimp, clams and squid.
Blend it and freeze in small cube trays.
I did this 7 months ago, spent about $30 and still have cubes left.
I though about that. Buying frozen wild caught shrimp, squid, clams. blending it with sea weed, nori, amino acids... that way not only the fish get fed, but the corals as well.
I am just afraid my wife might see me bring out the shrimp, squid and clams thinking I am prepping dinner. Can't wait to see her roll her eyes all the way back when i tell her its for the fish

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I feed both but I do prefer the Hikari because of the smaller sized shrimp and being way less oily and stanky

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back