Peaceful hardy SPS for a nano suggestions?

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still young. However, I am ready to at least plan for some SPS if not introduce one.

I have a couple Euphyllia, some zoanthids, a duncan, and a pair of Caulastrea. I will eventually add a Torch.

I think that Stylophora and Montipora make the most sense for the top of my reef. Maybe an encrusting Montipora or two to fill in the rest of the space?

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

20220910_105716.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Digita
Bonsai
tubbs
Tyree lemonade
staghorn
stylo

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a good list of good starting. Each of these was something I put in my first 15 gallon nano when I had zero experience. All four of them grow at a reasonable rate and did well despite many fluctuations in the health of the tank. most of them are not going to be amazingly bright at first, but will let you know when your tank is in a happy state.

Bird of paradise Stylo
forest fire Digitata
Tricolor valida
green Montipora setosa

OP
OP
ABQ_CHRIS

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mayb a milka stylo, anacropora, or tubs stellata Forest fire digi or hirsuta species could work. Few options

Easy first sps, birdnest and monti caps. First in my tank with excellent growth. Good for sps beginners. Good luck.

If you have stable parameters and see coraline algae growing then SPS can probably be introduced with success.

Digita
Bonsai
tubbs
Tyree lemonade
staghorn
stylo

I've got a good list of good starting. Each of these was something I put in my first 15 gallon nano when I had zero experience. All four of them grow at a reasonable rate and did well despite many fluctuations in the health of the tank. most of them are not going to be amazingly bright at first, but will let you know when your tank is in a happy state.

Bird of paradise Stylo
forest fire Digitata
Tricolor valida
green Montipora setosa
Thanks for all of the suggestions and guidance! I appreciate you. I saw a couple three suggestions for the forest fire digi, so that is on my short list for sure.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically you can put a $5 sps or a $1500 ½" sps in there. It all depends if your if your system and your husbandry is stable enough for it.

Some sps will tolerate changes small or big,quick or slow,differently. But all generally require the same type of care.

Like a Walt Disney is probably one of the hardiest higher end acro's you can buy due to it being in the trade for so long. Red Planet is another,Green Slimer.

While any acro will survive if your tank isn't optimal but stable AT LEAST. It may not have the intended colors or growth but will survive probably not being what its supposed to be.

OP
OP
ABQ_CHRIS

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically you can put a $5 sps or a $1500 ½" sps in there. It all depends if your if your system and your husbandry is stable enough for it.

Some sps will tolerate changes small or big,quick or slow,differently. But all generally require the same type of care.

Like a Walt Disney is probably one of the hardiest higher end acro's you can buy due to it being in the trade for so long. Red Planet is another,Green Slimer.

While any acro will survive if your tank isn't optimal but stable AT LEAST. It may not have the intended colors or growth but will survive probably not being what its supposed to be.
Thanks. I am doing my best to be responsible with both the animals AND my money.

Last edited:

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still young. However, I am ready to at least plan for some SPS if not introduce one.

I have a couple Euphyllia, some zoanthids, a duncan, and a pair of Caulastrea. I will eventually add a Torch.

I think that Stylophora and Montipora make the most sense for the top of my reef. Maybe an encrusting Montipora or two to fill in the rest of the space?

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

20220910_105716.jpg
Looking at your rockscape I’d say a branching sps and an encrusting would best suit. I’d say an encrusting monti or two on the red branches would be an awesome addition. On the main rock towards the middle you could get Monti Digitatas as recommended by others. Stylophoras are great as well as the tend to produce thicker branches.
If you do intend to dabble in Acros. I’d say get a digitata first and observe its progress for maybe 2-3 weeks. Is there new growth? Is there any tissue recession. Hows the colouration? Hows the polyp extension.

I’d like to add as well, if you are interested. You could add Cyphastreas as well. An Absolutely captivating sps. Somewhere towards the middle of ypur rockwork. But do caution when it comes to lighting, Cyphastreas generally do better in middle to lower level light. So if u do get one and it starts to turn pale and bleach place it lower in your rockwork.

OP
OP
ABQ_CHRIS

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your rockscape I’d say a branching sps and an encrusting would best suit. I’d say an encrusting monti or two on the red branches would be an awesome addition. On the main rock towards the middle you could get Monti Digitatas as recommended by others. Stylophoras are great as well as the tend to produce thicker branches.
If you do intend to dabble in Acros. I’d say get a digitata first and observe its progress for maybe 2-3 weeks. Is there new growth? Is there any tissue recession. Hows the colouration? Hows the polyp extension.

I’d like to add as well, if you are interested. You could add Cyphastreas as well. An Absolutely captivating sps. Somewhere towards the middle of ypur rockwork. But do caution when it comes to lighting, Cyphastreas generally do better in middle to lower level light. So if u do get one and it starts to turn pale and bleach place it lower in your rockwork.
Thanks, I have done mostly what you have suggested. Things are going well so far.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back