Peacock Mantis shrimp aquarium upgrade

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Greetings from the UK! I've just registered for this forum once I discovered a dedicated mantis shrimp group. I've generally stuck to UK forums up till now but mantis shrimp are fairly unusual in the hobby over here so I was delighted when I stumbled across this place.

I have owned my peacock mantis shrimp Bruce for 2.5 years now and have just completed an upgrade moving him into a 50g I have setup specially for him. I documented the process thought you might enjoy it.

If you have any questions or comments I would appreciate them. This looks a good community and I am looking forward to being part of it!

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Greetings from the UK! I've just registered for this forum once I discovered a dedicated mantis shrimp group. I've generally stuck to UK forums up till now but mantis shrimp are fairly unusual in the hobby over here so I was delighted when I stumbled across this place.

I have owned my peacock mantis shrimp Bruce for 2.5 years now and have just completed an upgrade moving him into a 50g I have setup specially for him. I documented the process thought you might enjoy it.

If you have any questions or comments I would appreciate them. This looks a good community and I am looking forward to being part of it!

I really enjoyed this! Blue devil damsels do live up to their name, but dotty backs are just as bad (meaning they should be fine together).

OP
OP
OneInchPunch

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoyed this! Blue devil damsels do live up to their name, but dotty backs are just as bad (meaning they should be fine together).
Thanks a lot! Yes since finding out about the damsel my plan is to make it a mini murderers row, I'm thinking of rounding it out with a sixline wrasse.

fish_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Hey,
Great video and set up, I use to have a Peacock many years back and have just set up a tank for an another! Can I ask how often do you find Bruce molts?

OP
OP
OneInchPunch

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say around every six months ish, actually maybe a bit less. I would say he has moulted 5-6 times in the 2+ years I've owned him although I tend to find very little evidence and if it wasn't for him stopping eating and blocking up his cave I could easily have missed one.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I see you put an urchin in. Does your mantis bother the urchin? We have a smaller mantis and I have been wanting to get an urchin.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angry Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

OP
OP
OneInchPunch

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you put an urchin in. Does your mantis bother the urchin? We have a smaller mantis and I have been wanting to get an urchin.
Unfortunately no it lasted about a week before Bruce decided he'd never tried urchin. Of the cleanup crew that went in before he arrived the 2 spiny astrea are doing the best I think because they move so slowly they don't easily catch his attention (or it might just be luck of the draw) and there are still at least a couple of hermits but both have shells that show Bruce has said hello.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back