Peacock mantis shrimp lighting

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a breed specific tank for a peacock mantis. I have the 40 breeder and am building the stand. I research everything to death but can't find a lot on lighting except it should be non existant or very weak.

I have considered led bars that are adjustable, a 2 bulb t8 fixture, even a floor lamp with cheap Amazon par 38 bulb or 6500k cfl.

I want a light even if it's not on much. I like led schedule and adjustability. Just not sure.... I'd like to just keep some macro like calurpa prolifera in there.

What have you used or seen success with? Thanks.

OP
OP
Jaysin13

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would have the coverage I'd like. I do have current USA Orbit ic leds on my reef. I'd like to upgrade those with 2 primes.... Then I could use one or both bars on this tank. Very adjustable.

I'm just not ready to buy 2 primes. I guess I could run this with no lights till I am ready. It's an option.
What about like a single AI Prime?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would have the coverage I'd like. I do have current USA Orbit ic leds on my reef. I'd like to upgrade those with 2 primes.... Then I could use one or both bars on this tank. Very adjustable.

I'm just not ready to buy 2 primes. I guess I could run this with no lights till I am ready. It's an option.
Wouldn't the orbit be perfect? Gives you the coverage you're looking for and should be sufficient for macro algae growth.

OP
OP
Jaysin13

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the orbit be perfect? Gives you the coverage you're looking for and should be sufficient for macro algae growth.
Yeah..... It would be I suppose. Ugh. Maybe I'll start saving for their replacement primes on my reef.

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Orbit 36" on my 40B. I have two on it and the ability to ramp up the light levels as little as 1 or 2% per week is nice. My mantis spends most of the time in his pvc tunnel but he does come out exploring often enough!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back