Peacock Mantis Shrimp tank coming along

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is nearing completion, just finished the cycle and slowing adding in the rock. All the parameters are good only ph is at 7.9 and 8.0 all the time. Hoping that’s not a big deal for the Mantis Shrimp

image.jpg

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about Ph unless it drops below 7.2

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis shrimp, especially a peacock are sensitive to PH, Nitrates and Light.

What the PH numbers are idk. But I would try to keep it as ideal as possible. I keep mind at 8.1… kinda seems to stay around there. But I also do WT once every other month.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideal Ph 8 to 8.5 but it can go some either way.
What will get them is a sudden change in water. Could be Ph, Temp, Alk. or Nutrients

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long of a acclamation would you say?
Float for 15min and drip for 30min. So you match the temp, PH, salinity and nitrates.

With a bad acclamation it can die a month later FYI. So it’s not like it makes it past 3 days and your good. Mantis shrimp aren’t like fish.

OP
OP
ChandlerTingle

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also get a big net. When I first got mine I immediately regretted the size of net I had, to transfer it out of the LFS water, to my tank.
Float for 15min and drip for 30min. So you match the temp, PH, salinity and nitrates.

With a bad acclamation it can die a month later FYI. So it’s not like it makes it past 3 days and your good. Mantis shrimp aren’t like fish.
Yeah I noticed that and got one ahead of time, I really don’t want to find how powerful that punch is lol. So if my ph would be the somewhat of a problem with it going from 7.9 is usually the reading I get, Lowest I’ve seen is 7.8 but that’s the lowest it’s gone. Would that be a big problem and if so how would I get it to raise a little bit more without having to use a buffer because I did that before and ain’t doing that again lol. All my readings are good it’s just the ph is a little bit low from the 8.1-8.4 range

Last edited:

Forrest Dunavant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heads up I ordered one from Blue zoo aquatic. I never actually received it though because each time they got one in... By the time I replied with preferred day of arrival, they said it had died and were ordering another one for me. This happened twice. They are also in Cali, and I was in Tennessee so no way peacock mantis makes the trip if they can hardly make it at the store. I ended up changing my order to some fish that I had been wanting for a separate tank. They didn't ask me to change, I changed after hearing the last two ordered had died. Fish were all in good health. Months later I did purchase a Wennerae mantis shrimp which is happy in his tank with two clown fish, and a lemon damsel. Also a rainford goby and lawnmower goby for cleaning up. Surprising the banded shrimp in the same tank has managed to survive. For once he can't kill whatever shrimp is in the tank with him. And if he tries.. boy will he regret it. Also there were three peppermint shrimp at one point although they had fallen victim to one of the shrimps. The first day I had the wennerae, he picked up a pebble and was continuously popping it. I could hear him hitting the pebble from my bedroom. Guess he thought it was a clam because he eventually stopped after hours. So fun! I feed him the occassional large grass shrimp, and then shrimp from the freezer. Oh and I purchased him from a excellent online store called Salty Bottom Reef Company. Just google it... They're in Florida and I highly recommend. I have four tanks btw so please mind your business and don't give me a hard time for what I keep with what.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back