Pearly Jawfish; Tank size and shrimp safe?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I'm looking to get a UNS 60U (20 Gallons) as a big upgrade from my 5g Macro Algae Tank and am thinking about adding a Pearly Jawfish as kind of an "oddball" addition. From what I've seen, a lot of people say that a 20gal is acceptable since they mostly stay around their burrow unlike other species, would a 20gal be sufficient? Also, I'm moving a Pederson's Cleaner Shrimp over and would this guy be a snack for the jawfish? The Pederson's get between 1"-1 1/2" max and im worried that's snack size for a Pearly. Can anyone who owned / does own one chime in? Thanks

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20gal would be fine for a pearly.
Just keep in mind a tight fitting lid, very peaceful tank mates, at least 3”+ sand, add very small shells/rubble for it to outline its burrow and feed a varied diet. I doubt it will bother a small shrimp.
Very cool and beautiful. When healthy they have iridescent aqua blue sheen, and so cute how they close the opening to their burrows at night. 04C11270-63D9-4B8B-87F3-9BE65B2DE4C8.jpeg

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish. They are a pain with corals, though. My last one killed a few corals by dumping sand and gravel on them when he dug his home. Jumpers!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20gal would be fine for a pearly.
Just keep in mind a tight fitting lid, very peaceful tank mates, at least 3”+ sand, add very small shells/rubble for it to outline its burrow and feed a varied diet. I doubt it will bother a small shrimp.
Very cool and beautiful. When healthy they have iridescent aqua blue sheen, and so cute how they close the opening to their burrows at night. 04C11270-63D9-4B8B-87F3-9BE65B2DE4C8.jpeg
Thank you! That's kind of the way I was hoping to setup the tank with a background and Macros

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish. They are a pain with corals, though. My last one killed a few corals by dumping sand and gravel on them when he dug his home. Jumpers!
Oof, I'm hoping since I'll have none on the sand they'll be fine. Also yes, I do have a lid already made from mesh, thank you for the info though! I'll definitely have to watch where it places the sand

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back