Pellet food recommendation

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone recommend a particular pellet food and size for a couple of small clowns?

They are about to leave the QT to go into their new DT home. I feed them frozen now (1x per day), but want to supplement with a flake or pellet food for an auto feeder for when I'm gone on weekends or vacation. Basically train them to eat other stuff for those times I'm away. Plus, I'm looking at my next fish for my system and noticing a Midas Blenny and the wrasses require up to 3 feedings per day...i can't physically keep up with that with my work schedule, so an auto-feeder during the day will be needed.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For more than 10 years I mostly fed my fish frozen. Now that I live out in the middle of nowhere and I have to ration my frozen food I typically only feed frozen twice a week. I use new life spectrum 1mm sinking pellets. They claim to be "colour enhancing" I'm not how sure that is but most fish, from small firefish to larger tangs go for it without issue. I still haven't tried the freeze dried PE mysis but that is high on my list. There is actually quite a variety of pellets out there. Maybe just get a couple of small jars and see what your fish like.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Cobalt Aquatics Marine Omni flakes and my fish love them. They know what the jar with the purple lids means every time I pull it out!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone recommend a particular pellet food and size for a couple of small clowns?

They are about to leave the QT to go into their new DT home. I feed them frozen now (1x per day), but want to supplement with a flake or pellet food for an auto feeder for when I'm gone on weekends or vacation. Basically train them to eat other stuff for those times I'm away. Plus, I'm looking at my next fish for my system and noticing a Midas Blenny and the wrasses require up to 3 feedings per day...i can't physically keep up with that with my work schedule, so an auto-feeder during the day will be needed.

I would use a mix of flakes and pellets...anything around 1mm in size ought to be OK for the clowns. I would feed all day, every day, all the time....you still have to constrain the overall quantity of food going into the system to the same amount you're feeding today though.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish seems to like flakes better over pellets. Maybe they are more floaty and more visible. They seem to chase down the flakes a lot more than the pellets.

But if you have trained them in QT, they would chase down whatever you've been feeding them in QT.

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my anthias and cardinalfish to accept pellets pretty quickly just by soaking them in a cup of tankwater for about 15 mins beforehand. When you just throw them right in it's probably like trying to swallow a rock lol, hence why it might seem tougher to get fish on pellets or they spit them out a lot.

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ELOS SM2. I think they were discontinued several months ago. But I can still find some refill package on e bay. All my fish love it, even newly acquired anthias in QT start chasing it in day 1.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the mysis pellets, small size. I like ocean nutrition formula one as well but the PE mysis pellets were accepted by our clowns the first offering. I prefer LRS reef frenzy but I know this is a recommendation for pellets. They don't care for flake to much.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, the perfect pellet, that I've found is New Life Spectrum Grow. It's .5mm size, very tiny and a slow sinker. It has the highest protein of any pellet I've found.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back