pellet food vs frozen

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, is there a reason (other than price) that I should go from alternating frozen foods, onto pelleted foods? I was thinking of adding pellets into my food feeding cycle, but can't see any benefits other than being a "complete diet" which my fish are already supposedly getting from "X blend" frozen foods.

thanks in advance

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO pellets or even flake can be a good idea if you can't be around to feed all day long. (Who can, right?)

An auto-feeder makes a lot of sense for folks who can't be home during the day, but they only work with dry foods.

I recommend an auto-feeder for most tanks since it makes feeding more consistent for the fish and more generally it makes nutrient inputs to the tank less unstable. However I don't recommend that be the main way you feed. Up to half from the auto-feeder might be fine if you're doing good whole foods the rest of the time. If you're feeding live foods too, I think you can probably worry less about how much auto-feeding you're doing – auto-feed as much as the fish want, just don't make too big an increase all at once. That's out of concern for algae though, not the fish. :) (Make all nutrient changes in the tank slowly....even livestock changes.)

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO pellets or even flake can be a good idea if you can't be around to feed all day long. (Who can, right?)

An auto-feeder makes a lot of sense for folks who can't be home during the day, but they only work with dry foods.

I recommend an auto-feeder for most tanks since it makes feeding more consistent for the fish and more generally it makes nutrient inputs to the tank less unstable. However I don't recommend that be the main way you feed. Up to half from the auto-feeder might be fine if you're doing good whole foods the rest of the time. If you're feeding live foods too, I think you can probably worry less about how much auto-feeding you're doing – auto-feed as much as the fish want, just don't make too big an increase all at once. That's out of concern for algae though, not the fish. :) (Make all nutrient changes in the tank slowly....even livestock changes.)
That's true, I didn't even think of that aspect; especially now that I'm back in classes

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good points, but I would seriously proceed with caution with auto feeders. I can't count the number of times folks have posted threads on here having nutrient issues not too long after installing an auto feeder. As you said, I also would never recommend this as the main method of feeding.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine had a catastrophic event last night. He was away for 2 weeks. He has an Apex Neptune feeder... All was good during 2 weeks, I watched his tank for him. Made few visits to feed frozen. Auto Feeder was doing pellets daily.... He got home and started some maintenance and tried to open cap on feeder. A full load of pellets dropped into his 29 gallon tank because the plastic piece fell off over tank. He had to suck tons of pellets out and vacuum all night. As well as water change in a hurry..... Not a fan..... If I am away from my tank, I prepare plastic cups filled with portioned frozen food. I show my helper the ropes... Take Turkey baster, thaw food. Mix up and slowly drop... Never have a problem..... Good Luck....

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you too, I'll keep thinking of it as my tank isn't short of food. I think maybe I'll get some and (if my fish eat them) add an auto-feeder to feed a couple times a day and only have two days worth of food just in-case. As usual, I'll keep feeding my frozen mix daily and keep an eye on my nutrients

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd highly recommend the bullet-proof Eheim feeder and their feedSTATION – the design on both is excellent and I personally know about a dozen tanks running them. (Long term, stable tanks.)

Any product can be subject to personal mistakes or "butter fingers" – I'm amazed at how many threads I've seen where someone has accidentally dunked their whole light fixture in their tank!!! – so obviously take appropriate care when handling anything around the tank. ;)

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd highly recommend the bullet-proof Eheim feeder and their feedSTATION – the design on both is excellent and I personally know about a dozen tanks running them. (Long term, stable tanks.)

Any product can be subject to personal mistakes or "butter fingers" – I'm amazed at how many threads I've seen where someone has accidentally dunked their whole light fixture in their tank!!! – so obviously take appropriate care when handling anything around the tank. ;)
I'll check it out. I got a new textbook to get, so I'll add it on for the free, faster, shipping

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very True... usually it is operator error... I try and reduce risk... :)

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am convinced that some pellet foods are better in composition than most frozen foods. With this high quality pellet foods the fish look better in condition and the nutrient load that gets into the water is lower. A good pellet or flake food should have a protein-fat-ratio of 3 : 1 with fats high in PUFA. With dry foods (or frozen foods) lower in fat the condition of the fish is worse and the nutrient load is higher.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... He got home and started some maintenance and tried to open cap on feeder. A full load of pellets dropped into his 29 gallon tank because the plastic piece fell off over tank. ....

My brand new APEX feeder did the same. It has some design issue. I would remove the feeder entirely before trying to pull the feeder container out from now on.

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am convinced that some pellet foods are better in composition than most frozen foods. With this high quality pellet foods the fish look better in condition and the nutrient load that gets into the water is lower. A good pellet or flake food should have a protein-fat-ratio of 3 : 1 with fats high in PUFA. With dry foods (or frozen foods) lower in fat the condition of the fish is worse and the nutrient load is higher.
This is something I'll have to check into. Thanks

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true, I didn't even think of that aspect; especially now that I'm back in classes
I have always run an auto feeder just because of that. Now with classes i get home around 11 which is too late to feed since everyone is asleep so the autofeeder set up twice a day works for me. On days i get home early i still give them frozen at night but I'm not there all day or every night so the autofeeder gives the the concistency they need... its also great for going on vacation. Just make sure you get a good quality food and think about getting a feeding station so the pellets don't get sucked into your return immediately. I made one myself out of some spare acrylic and it works great.

Last edited:

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20170830-175000.png
Ehime all the way btw i have been running mine for over 3 years already with no issues and when i go to refill it once every couple off months i just make sure to take it away from my tank so not to have an accident the cup slides right off so you don't even have to move the body off you don't want to. Great control and greet quality.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like with any feeding you always have to watch how much. For me personally I have the APEX feeder that runs twice a day, and I supplement with Frozen every 2 or 3 days. Been doing this for over 2 years and really like the results. The biggest trick is making sure you have food your specific fish will eat. My anthias at first didn't touch the pellets but with the PE Mysis pellets they go right after them. It is like a dinner bell though.

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the apex feeder cycling once daily with pellets. Supplemented with 3 x week frozen. Plus nori daily for those that eat it.
I only had the apex lid come off once and it was my fault. It's been flawless for 2 full years now and I slide a paper towel on the screen top when I need to remove the hopper just in case I drop it. Makes vacationing very easy with a mix of herbivore and normal pellets. As said, feed only what they eat in a minute or so tops. Start off slow if you have not fed pellets until you see the fish eating them.

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often will feed a half frozen mysis cube with a pinch of pellets mixed in, just mix it in a cup as it thaws. The fish seem to like it and they eat everything. Other days I will feed a whole cube of mysis. I also feed pellets because they will sink all the way to the bottom so makes sure my clean up crew is well fed, including my pair of sexy shrimp, hermits, cleaner shrimp. I even see my candy pistol shrimp come out and grab a pellet or two.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed both frozen and pellets. Some of my fish will eat only frozen and graze on what is natural in the tank (ie. copperband butterfly, yellow tang, hawkfish and tamarin wrasse to name a few). Other fish eat anything that gets within ten feet of them (ie. pyramid butterfly, purple tang and parrotfish come to mind). I have just started to try to feed some flake, but it mostly floats around the tank. Maybe my fish need to get used to it, but not a fan so far. So unless you choose your fish carefully there is no one answer on what or how to feed. As they say in fly fishing, gotta match the hatch!

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always feed pellets from an ehiem auto feeder. Its not that I feel they are better or not but I do this when Im gone for long periods of time each day or for extend time like a vacation. I have fish that require multiple feedings a day and accomplish this by feeding pellets 2x day and frozen 1-2x day. A rule of thumb I use with the auto feeder is less is more. Im not trying to fill the fish up on pellet food but rather satisfy their appetite and reduce aggression till I can feed frozen or my tank sitter can.

DDanis60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding nls pellets from an ehiem auto feeder for about a year now. 2 times a day when out of town and once a day all other times. I also alternate frozen cubes everyday when in town and switch it up between all brands and types of frozen.

I even dropped my entire ehiem feeder into the tank about 6 months ago. Took batteries out, rinced entire unit with freshwater many many times getting inside on the circuit board and let it dry for many days. Once dry, batts back in and worked as if nothing happened. Pretty bullet proof.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back