Peninsula Reef Tanks: What needs to be considered and do you, did you or would you?

Peninsula Reef Tanks...

• I currently have one

Votes: 131 26.6%
  • I used to have one set up

Votes: 19 3.9%
  • I would like to try one in the future

Votes: 248 50.4%
  • No interest

Votes: 94 19.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking of setting up a Peninsula tank in the new place as I would love to be able to view the tank from 3 sides. I've always really loved the look of it but I do wonder what type of things do I need to consider when setting up a Peninsula style tank that you don't normally think of with a regular aquarium. Let's talk about it!

1. What type of things do I need to consider when setting up a Peninsula style tank that you don't normally think of with a regular aquarium?

2. How many of you have one, had one, or want one?

image via @Trkz89
kEmLL7.jpg

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a custom peninsula built and waiting in the wings for me to move my current setup and prep a wall for a 96x36x26. +1 for flow at the far end as a concern. It is going to be an in wall(s) so I may plumb returns on both ends. I went with closed loops in hopes I won’t need powerheads. Other than that- here for advice & to follow the topic.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the input!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the fluval 13.5 set up as a reef, of course it was up against the wall so there were only 2 open view ports.
It’s definitely an added challenge, but also a nice look to have a system with more than 1-2 view angles. It makes you conscious of where everything goes and creates a more natural system where corals are on all sides, not just one.
Right now the fluval is a qt, but once that’s done I’ll bring it back as a reef. I’ll probably try for the peninsula effect next time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Having had three, challenges were: placement as it sticks out a few feet and can divide a room
Also, plumbing was on the end so servicing was a bit different and having 3 glass panels to clean algae off of

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to try one someday, as of now I have no space to use it as a divider. Having the view of 3 sides is awesome.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peninsula tanks are the best! I'm absolutely considering one for my next build, but I can't find one that is short enough to have good clearance in a 74" inch tall room...

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 6ft peninsula tank and overall love it. There are some downsides to the whole thing, though.
Pros:
-Some much room for corals now; the back of all your rock structures can hold corals as well
-Ease of viewing. By that, I mean if you have a lost fish, you can see it almost everywhere, or if your anemone has gone on a walk, you can quickly find it.
-IMO, more dynamic aquascape designs.
Cons:
-So much room for corals; you will spend more to fill all the space as you would have with just a front view
-Flow issues on the far side.
-More maintenance-cleaning glass.
-My tank is an inwall which makes it really hard to do work on that side. I am only 5ft, so reaching over to that side is hard.

1653586219279.png

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
they’re nice if put in a spot that be easily viewed from the 3 sides. unfortunately in my apartment i can only have it against a wall so a peninsula tank wouldn’t work for me

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents...many have touched on it already....FLOW. I love my peninsula 180. But if you think that you can create enough flow with closed loop, in my experience its just not going to happen. I have a closed loop that helps water circulation, but it can't create the cross tank flow that is required. I was, much to my chagrin, forced to add a gyre on the opposite end. I can tell you that it creates plenty of flow, however aesthetically it is not ideal. I'm used to it now, but if I had it my way, I would remove it of course.

My last suggestion is to make it wider. My dimensions are standard 72x24x24...because you can see it from both sides I kinda wish I would have gone wider to give more swim room, however if you do go wider, then you are kind of forced to hang the lighting so that you get coverage in the "middle" where your scape will be.

They are stunning tanks. My tank separates my living and dining room and I absolutely love it. Its living functional furniture.

At any rate...good luck! and yes...lots of glass cleaning...small price to pay for the beauty of having 3 viewing sides. :)

tamzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my peninsula as well, obviously flow is a problem, I know I did a overkill on my flow but I got two mp40 on one side and two MP60 on another side. Plus gyre on both side. So that third panel isn't much of a viewing panel. Honestly rock work is a tricky thing for peninsula because you want enough space on both side for corals and fish to swim and grow. So your more likely to have less rock then a tank against the back panel because then you can just stack the rocks against the back panel.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents...many have touched on it already....FLOW. I love my peninsula 180. But if you think that you can create enough flow with closed loop, in my experience its just not going to happen. I have a closed loop that helps water circulation, but it can't create the cross tank flow that is required. I was, much to my chagrin, forced to add a gyre on the opposite end. I can tell you that it creates plenty of flow, however aesthetically it is not ideal. I'm used to it now, but if I had it my way, I would remove it of course.

My last suggestion is to make it wider. My dimensions are standard 72x24x24...because you can see it from both sides I kinda wish I would have gone wider to give more swim room, however if you do go wider, then you are kind of forced to hang the lighting so that you get coverage in the "middle" where your scape will be.

They are stunning tanks. My tank separates my living and dining room and I absolutely love it. Its living functional furniture.

At any rate...good luck! and yes...lots of glass cleaning...small price to pay for the beauty of having 3 viewing sides. :)
To counter this, I'll say there are lots of ways to achieve flow in a peninsula that maintains the astetics.
On my 6 foot peninsula I went with a greatly oversized return pump and added CPR educters to my return bulkheads. That alone is almost too much flow. To keep things random I also have a single Tunze stream3. Nothing on the other (non return) end of the tank.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is four side viewable in the middle of the room. So It has a central overflow in the middle of the tank. Flow is a challenge. I use a closed loop with a ocean motion 4way that alternates flow from one side of the tank to the other ever 30 seconds or so. It provides about 6500 gallons per hour of alternating flow in the tank. The corals seem happy. In addition the return for the sump (I know we arent supposed to count it's flow is still considerable at about 4000 gallons per hour. I have stylos, birdsnest, and montiporas, and they all seem to be happy and growing. So I think a closed loop can be very helpful in designing a pennisula tank and still hide cords and pumps and such.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back