Peppermint Shrimp and aiptasia update (Kinda funny to me)

lilkiwi930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been absent for a little while due to working a lot due to covid. But I wanted to give a little update. I bought a peppermint shrimp and an aiptasia file fish to help eat all my pesky aiptasia(Not sure if I am spelling that correctly) a couple months ago. So I feel my file fish is cool. Just floats around. I don't see him eating much of the aiptasia. But he's unqiue so I am keeping him.

As for my peppermint shrimp he had a hiding spot in my tank and I noticed he was eating all the aiptasia. Loved it. Until one day I checked in on my tank and noticed that there was something chilling on my fan/wave maker. I look and its the peppermint shrimp. I got upset thinking the fish had eaten him. That was about a month or 2 ago. I was gonna buy more because he was doing the job. Until I saw he did not make it. But over the time since me finding him dead no aiptasia has appeared. So I figured my file fish was finally eating.

Then low and behold I went to feed my fish this morning and noticed something red moving at the bottom of my tank. IT WAS MY PEPPERMINT SHRIMP!!! He was alive!!!!! So I am guessing he had shed off his old skin/shell. He is way bigger now. I am so happy. Now I see why I have no more aiptasia. I am just so happy that little guy is alive. That little bugger is a good hider because I have not seen him once over the past 2 months.

So aiptasia problem solved and peppermint shrimp has survived. :) yay!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's good news!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I've got a couple of filefish and at least one peppermint shrimp. I haven't seen the shrimp in months, but a couple of weeks ago I had a molt floating around. So I have at least one. Between them, I haven't seen an aptaisia or mojano in a long time.

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see my peppermint shrimp for easily a month. And then one day he randomly appeared as well. Bit between spot treatments with Aiptasia X and the pep shrimp my aiptasia issues are now almost non existent.
I will say the first time I found a molted form on a rock and then in a powerhead it definitely worried me.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, shrimp hide more when newly molted

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been absent for a little while due to working a lot due to covid. But I wanted to give a little update. I bought a peppermint shrimp and an aiptasia file fish to help eat all my pesky aiptasia(Not sure if I am spelling that correctly) a couple months ago. So I feel my file fish is cool. Just floats around. I don't see him eating much of the aiptasia. But he's unqiue so I am keeping him.

As for my peppermint shrimp he had a hiding spot in my tank and I noticed he was eating all the aiptasia. Loved it. Until one day I checked in on my tank and noticed that there was something chilling on my fan/wave maker. I look and its the peppermint shrimp. I got upset thinking the fish had eaten him. That was about a month or 2 ago. I was gonna buy more because he was doing the job. Until I saw he did not make it. But over the time since me finding him dead no aiptasia has appeared. So I figured my file fish was finally eating.

Then low and behold I went to feed my fish this morning and noticed something red moving at the bottom of my tank. IT WAS MY PEPPERMINT SHRIMP!!! He was alive!!!!! So I am guessing he had shed off his old skin/shell. He is way bigger now. I am so happy. Now I see why I have no more aiptasia. I am just so happy that little guy is alive. That little bugger is a good hider because I have not seen him once over the past 2 months.

So aiptasia problem solved and peppermint shrimp has survived. :) yay!!!
They molt like other shrimp. My aptasia issues are now almost 0. Love it!

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermint shrimp come out when I feed the fish. They also climb on my fingers and glove when I'm working in tank. My buddies! So cute. Seem to like picking at my cuticles for some reason! Manicure anyone?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back