Peppermint shrimp and aiptasia

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon long and I finally noticed one pretty big aiptasia in my tank. Should I even try peppermint shrimp? I have already had a negative experience with a skunk cleaner so would it be worth it? Any other types of aiptasia killers you recommend?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one, then I would use F-Aiptasia. Unfortunately, if you found one, their are likely some more somewhere in the tank. Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss, depending on the sub-species. Still, if only a few then I would try F-Aiptasia.

NexisG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon long and I finally noticed one pretty big aiptasia in my tank. Should I even try peppermint shrimp? I have already had a negative experience with a skunk cleaner so would it be worth it? Any other types of aiptasia killers you recommend?
If you do wanna try peppermint shrimp only get them at a trusted LFS that knows what their doing. Otherwise you might get camel shrimp or some other non peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one, then I would use F-Aiptasia. Unfortunately, if you found one, their are likely some more somewhere in the tank. Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss, depending on the sub-species. Still, if only a few then I would try F-Aiptasia.
Ok thanks. I’m debating getting a peppermint shrimp only because I can see a small on on one of my zoa frags as well. Any other aiptasia eaters you recommend for a nano?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I’m debating getting a peppermint shrimp only because I can see a small on on one of my spa frags as well. Any other aiptasia eaters you recommend for a nano?
Short of having an outbreak, not really. When I have aiptasia outbreaks I go with Berghia Nudis, but they only work in packs, and they are expensive. IMO, I would use either F-aiptasia or cover it in epoxy. You can remove both in a few weeks. I have seen Peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia, but only noticed they hunt in a small area and don't move around the tank, at least IME. Peppermint shrimp are cool to have, but remember that it will need to feed, whether its aiptasia or mysis/brine shrimp.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was ur bad exp with the skunk cleaner? I.love em and plan on adding 3. Lol
D
I know this is probably on me, but it would go and rip out food from the mouth of every single one of my coral. I think it has killed my wwc Illuminati zoa’s because they no longer open up and it’s been more than a month. It also took me like 2 hours to get it out of my tank and I had to rip apart the entire tank to do it.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one little Aiptasia in my tank recently. I got a peppermint shrimp without really any expectations. They are a hit or miss. Some variants eat them, others don't. The very next morning that Aiptasia was gone. So, I got lucky. If I were you, I'd try it.

jprovido

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 peppermint in my 25 and 3 in my 75 when i started noticing aptasia in the tank. So far they have been controlling it well. I heard nudis work great but thankfully i dont need to go that route yet.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 peppermint in my 25 and 3 in my 75 when i started noticing aptasia in the tank. So far they have been controlling it well. I heard nudis work great but thankfully i dont need to go that route yet.
I think I’m going to try the peppermint shrimp out. Hopefully my LFS has the kind I need.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I’m debating getting a peppermint shrimp only because I can see a small on on one of my zoa frags as well. Any other aiptasia eaters you recommend for a nano?
I tried peppermints, they never touched them. They did though kill my snails and eat them. Flipped them over from the glass and kept doing that

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one little Aiptasia in my tank recently. I got a peppermint shrimp without really any expectations. They are a hit or miss. Some variants eat them, others don't. The very next morning that Aiptasia was gone. So, I got lucky. If I were you, I'd try it.
Identical results for me.

DKQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got peppermint shrimp to kill my aptasia. Killed everything in 2 days and have yet to see another. I feel that they are cheap enough that its worth a try.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back