Peppermint shrimp eating corals?

ardabaran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I bought a peppermint shrimp but he seems to be picking st my corals. Not entirely sure if its peppermint shrimp or camel. Very hard to tell.
Also not sure if he is cleaning up something or nipping the corals.
Thanks!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    66.7 MB

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp, or "PEPPIES" as my daughter calls them, usually only eat aptasia, but will nip and pick at "dead or dying" coral flesh. I've heard of them (never one of my own) eating softies? So it can def. happen.

Bsnow0053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me Never again, not consistently trustworthy, twice.
oh yea just put 2 in my tank about a month ago, went to town on the my torch tentacles and have been giving them the benefit of the doubt and just moving the torch now they have moved out of their old hide towards the torch and caught the one today littler ripping live flesh from my ricordia mushroom. Needless to say ill be evicting them here soon

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp doing what shrimp do. Your corals, especially any lps are goners.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints are hit or miss in my experience. The problem is that there are several varieties that all look very similar yet don't necessarily behave the same. Camels on the other hand are definitely not reef safe. They have a much sharper angle to their backs (almost triangular) than peppermints. If you Google it you'll see what I mean. If it's a camel get it out.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp in your movie is a peppermint shrimp and he appears to be picking food and detritus from inbetween your gsp polyps

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back