Peppermint shrimp

Barb0713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I solved the salt problem lol then my peppermint shrimp caused me to yank my hand out of the water and break the thermometer, :/ now I’m cleaning that up with a siphon and carbon. I read it will be ok they. Just trying to get out what I can. My shrimp is nuts. I read everyone say they never see theirs . This shrimp is always out playing . If you put your hand in the tank for any reason. He is right there in your hand. Dancing around. If you pull out a phone., he performs in the spotlight . Has anyone else had an extremely social peppermint ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I solved the salt problem lol then my peppermint shrimp caused me to yank my hand out of the water and break the thermometer, :/ now I’m cleaning that up with a siphon and carbon. I read it will be ok they. Just trying to get out what I can. My shrimp is nuts. I read everyone say they never see theirs . This shrimp is always out playing . If you put your hand in the tank for any reason. He is right there in your hand. Dancing around. If you pull out a phone., he performs in the spotlight . Has anyone else had an extremely social peppermint ?
Most tend to be be and they are also known to steal food from coral and even turn on zoa

OP
OP
B

Barb0713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tend to be be and they are also known to steal food from coral and even turn on zoa
Yeah he is a thief. He steals food from conch. But he doesn’t hide. He is always running around trying to see people. I just don’t know if that’s very rare because I have t read that anywhere

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of it depends on the tank mates. Mine are a lot bolder now that I removed my hawk and melanarus. Though yours does sound more like a skunk then a peppermint.

OP
OP
B

Barb0713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of it depends on the tank mates. Mine are a lot bolder now that I removed my hawk and melanarus. Though yours does sound more like a skunk then a peppermint.
No it’s a peppermint . But it’s literally crazy. If I put my Han in the tank it leaps and jumps on me. Today I broke the thermometer and cut myself lol now I’m trying to get the lead beads out of the tank :/ I’m in love with him but I’m scared he is staving out my coral frags.my hammers died. I see him messing with them but not destroying them. I think just stealing their food and they starved :( ?? I don’t wanna get rid of him. Tell me I don’t have to put up a fifth tank my kids will freak out lol

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s a peppermint . But it’s literally crazy. If I put my Han in the tank it leaps and jumps on me. Today I broke the thermometer and cut myself lol now I’m trying to get the lead beads out of the tank :/ I’m in love with him but I’m scared he is staving out my coral frags.my hammers died. I see him messing with them but not destroying them. I think just stealing their food and they starved :( ?? I don’t wanna get rid of him. Tell me I don’t have to put up a fifth tank my kids will freak out lol
I was just saying its acting like a skunk as they are very friendly lol. Whether peppermints are good or bad for reef tanks is up for debate but stealing food is not the issue.

Hammers don't need feeding they just need light. Only non-photosynthetic corals need food. Feeding can help boost growth but is not necessary for 90+% of corals. If your corals are dying its either disease or tank conditions. Tidal gardens is where I get my coral knowledge (5:30 is about food for hammers and after that he discusses common diseases):

OP
OP
B

Barb0713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just saying its acting like a skunk as they are very friendly lol. Whether peppermints are good or bad for reef tanks is up for debate but stealing food is not the issue.

Hammers don't need feeding they just need light. Only non-photosynthetic corals need food. Feeding can help boost growth but is not necessary for 90+% of corals. If your corals are dying its either disease or tank conditions. Tidal gardens is where I get my coral knowledge (5:30 is about food for hammers and after that he discusses common diseases):

Thanks so much for help

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back