peppermint shrimps...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright.. I'm getting annoyed at plucking out smaller aptasias that shows up in between polyps so I would like to know if you guys have had good or bad experience with peppermint shrimps for eliminating or atleast keeping aptasias in check... what other things should I worry about peppermint shrimps... have you guys heard any stories of them eating any type of zoas or palys?

Thanks in advance...

illcssd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some berghia nudibranchs, Thats the only thing they eat and just get one and pass it one to someone else in need when all your aiptasia is gone.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some berghia nudibranchs, Thats the only thing they eat and just get one and pass it one to someone else in need when all your aiptasia is gone.

oh.. cool.. what do these guys look like? I'll probably do a search tomorrow but if you guys can provide links for them, I'll greatly appreciate them...

I wonder if my fairy wrasses will mess with the Berghia... anyone have any input on this?

Thanks again..

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldnt mind getting a nudibranch for this as well. Where can you get them at?

Anyway, I am not sure about the shrimp Marv. I got 2 locally that came in at a lfs and they died in a short time. I did notice a reduction for apt though.

toddman74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marv, not sure if peppermint will last if you have alot of wrasses. I know I tried adding 3 peppermints on 2 different occasions and they keep disappearing, learned that the wrasse likes to eat them.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marv, not sure if peppermint will last if you have alot of wrasses. I know I tried adding 3 peppermints on 2 different occasions and they keep disappearing, learned that the wrasse likes to eat them.

what I have are fairy wrasses though... I've had a cleaner shrimp for about 9 months now.. :)

dc_909

Zoanthid Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my pep for a year now and he does a great job on the aiptasia. Never picks on anything, but make sure you get a true pep.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my pep for a year now and he does a great job on the aiptasia. Never picks on anything, but make sure you get a true pep.

yeah... I've heard of the other ones.... I think the others were camelbacks, am I right?

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pep just for aiptaisia. He pretty much ignores the aiptasia and hides in his cave. I only have one small aip and I hope he gets it. Otherwise, out with the Kalkwasser in a syringe!

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried both Nudis and Peppermints and Id say the pepps worked better. The nudis did the job and cleaned most of it out, but they died and the aiptasia came back pretty soon. I got lazy and the aiptasia got really bad, a couple of rocks had were completely covered so I went and bought 4-5 pepps and within a month all the aiptasia was gone. And the good thing is they wont die like the nudis when the aiptasia is gone.

I bought my nudis at saltlyunderground.com

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 peppermints in my tank. I have no idea if they eat apistia or not I don't have any but they never mess with any of my corals. They like to beg for food.

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local club is going to start raising berghia nudi's. I am not sure if they have started yet or not. I bought 4 peps to put in my tank and I have one left and he isn't messing with the aptasia anymore, however, they never bothered any of the coral.

Sandy

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put 2 pepps in my tank for aiptasia and i have seen all the little evil pests being eaten by my 3 dollar investment....:)

No bothering of the coral at all...

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple pepps over the years, and they are hit or miss on if they will eat the apptasia...but they never ate the corals.

As far as the BERGHIAS...good luck finding a good source for them...and if you do find them...good luck keeping them alive if you have even the slightest water movement in your tank...they are as light as a feather, really small...and when I put mine in...I never saw them again!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well off to buy some more aptasia! :D

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna try 2 pepps... I have a credit at LFS so that'll work out.. :)

I'll keep you all posted.. I hate these evil aptaisias... I know they're LE's and command a high price... but I can live without 'em... ;)

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefready sells the berghias last time i looked. I Agree on the hit and miss with the pepps. I never had aiptasia sense i owned my CBB

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Marv i just added 4 peps to my tank for the exact same issue. They have already eaten some of the aptasia, so i am all for them. My wrasses dont mess with them either. Try and get the largest ones you can just to make sure they dont get messed with.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back