Perfecto (Marineland) 125g (Single Center Brace) 72x18x23" Tempered, or Not?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the bottom pane is tempered.

And I have no clue how to test if the side panes are tempered as well?

The time is drawing near when I convert my 55g into a DIY sump for the 125 I am running fallow...

I was under the impression all Perfecto 125's are tempered all the way around. But the reviews of possible failures of HOTB overflows vs drilled has me needing to investigate again, and I'm turning here, to r2r experience and knowledge.

I've heard of a "Sunglass" test, but I need an explanation, or some reinforcement...

Also, lets say I come to find out it is, in fact, NOT tempered on the sides and I CAN drill it... Would I have to empty the tank completely or could I just drop the water level down like 6 inches? (Enough to drill and catch any glass pieces/shards that fall from the hole as I drill it)

Help?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thanks! not sure if this will work when it has water in it?

Second question is... Do I need to empty the tank down, say.... half way to drill it for an overflow?

I imagine it should be fine whether there is water in it or not?

I had to set the 125 up in a hurry due to an ich/velvet outbreak in my old tank. (all my substrate, inverts, and corals are in the 125 running fallow)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is highly recommended that the tank be empty for a few reasons:

1. You don't want glass dust in your tank.
2. You need to keep the saw cool and doing that on a vertical surface is kinda hard.
3. If you happen to crack the tank while drilling you're going to have one heck of a problem on your hands. :)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been sifting through a ton of forums and every single perfecto/ AKA Marineland 125 like this has been drilled in the back, and is only tempered on the bottom.

I am going to call marineland today and get a reassurance... and if it is drillable, I am gonna be one happy reefer.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well... what If I put a fine-threaded cloth down?

I only have corals and invert in it at the moment... I could easily drop the water level by half... (a good 10inches below where the holes would be drilled)

I know this is butt-backwards... but I had no choice but rush the tank set up cause of the need to get $1,500+ of inverts, coral, and rock to another tank immediately to begin copper treatment

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask a question back... :)

Would you be OK with roughly 60 gallons of saltwater on your floor?

If you crack the tank while it is full it is much more likely to fail completely. I get the desire to get moving on things, but remember nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:: bangs head against the wall ::

So the only safe-sided option would be to empty the tank and the drill it?

Just got off the phone with MarineLand, only the bottom is tempered. I'm good to go for drilling.

I suppose I could empty the tank and inverts into rubber maid containers and then just refill the tank once the sump is set up (I would have to do all this in 1 day)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just got off the phone with MarineLand, only the bottom is tempered. I'm good to go for drilling.

I suppose I could empty the tank and inverts into rubber maid containers and then just refill the tank once the sump is set up (I would have to do all this in 1 day)
Definitely a better option. If the worst happens you "only" need to buy a new tank.

Have you drilled a tank before? If not, do you have anyone near you that has who could come help? It isn't difficult, but it helps to have someone who's done it before.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a better option. If the worst happens you "only" need to buy a new tank.

Have you drilled a tank before? If not, do you have anyone near you that has who could come help? It isn't difficult, but it helps to have someone who's done it before.

Yes, I have a guy will 11 tanks... all sumped and plumbed. I'll get his help when the time comes. Sill got 5 weeks left on the Fallow Timer.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheEngineer

I see you worked for Lockheed! Very cool... I'm with UTC, we do much business with both aero, and marine sides :)
Where'd you see that? <Adam closes the blinds and peers outside concerned someone is watching him...> :p

I'm not with LM anymore (as of yesterday actually :)) Are you in CT? I've been up to Sikorsky quite a few times.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where'd you see that? <Adam closes the blinds and peers outside concerned someone is watching him...> :p

I'm not with LM anymore (as of yesterday actually :)) Are you in CT? I've been up to Sikorsky quite a few times.

Your blog/site is impressive. Just was curious to see who the man behind the "curtains/blinds" was who calls himself "the engineer"

Impressive work on the Marlin, it is quite renoun in the oceanographic exploration side of the realm.

I am at Hamilton, Windsor locks, Space systems. But I did work in the MRO for commercial and military side of things for a couple years. As well as Distribution Spares. Lockheeed is one of our VIPs.

Never had the chance to try Sikorsky before the move, or Pratt... But with this company you never know!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot I put that on there. :)

Marlin was a fun project. Lots of long days, but fun.

Very cool stuff. I was at LM for 12 years and decided I couldn't take the big company culture anymore.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am lucky to be Union, hourly. Not bothered by "big company bs" and I get my hands on and actually build and test the electronics for space programs globally. Not just NASA. I start with a box of materials and a blueprint. Pretty cool gig.

Currently working on several projects for support systems for the LM, Orion project. We do all the life-support systems, as well as the space suits from head to toe.

We just confirmed successful flawless operations on Solar Probe that launched Sunday. We did 70% of it before we shipped it down to Goddard to their finishing touches before it made it down to KSC.

Best job a closet nerd could ever ask for.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At least you called and asked them.

Most of the marinland and aqueon tanks come with tempered bottoms. They will occasionally come with tempered sides, but there will be big orange stickers on it that say "DO NOT DRILL". This usually happens when there is a glass shortage, and all they have is tempered. Instead of stopping production they keep it going. Which makes sense, because probably less than 1% of people are buying a tank to drill their own overflow.

Any reason you went to drill your own?

I sell these tanks for my job, and it baffles me sometime when someone drills a tank that comes with a lifetime warranty.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you called and asked them.

Most of the marinland and aqueon tanks come with tempered bottoms. They will occasionally come with tempered sides, but there will be big orange stickers on it that say "DO NOT DRILL". This usually happens when there is a glass shortage, and all they have is tempered. Instead of stopping production they keep it going. Which makes sense, because probably less than 1% of people are buying a tank to drill their own overflow.

Any reason you went to drill your own?

I sell these tanks for my job, and it baffles me sometime when someone drills a tank that comes with a lifetime warranty.

I have made my decision to avoid a "HOTB" overflow. I want to do it the best way I can, The first time.

I also acquired the tank used, sitting in a barn. So no warrantee for me.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made my decision to avoid a "HOTB" overflow. I want to do it the best way I can, The first time.

I also acquired the tank used, sitting in a barn. So no warrantee for me.

ok. I can't fault you for going that route then.

Did you replace the inner silicone?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenge with grinding a hole in a vertical panel is keeping the bit cool without making an incredible mess.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back