Peristaltic Dosing Pump For Calcium Reactor

Lance A. Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who run a calcium reactor fed by a Peristaltic Dosing Pump: What do you have, do you like it, and why?
I am tired of constantly turning my needle valve up to try to keep a consistent effluent rate through my CaRx. It seems to hold the same rate for maybe 24-48 hours before needing an adjustment. The feed for the CaRx is coming off the effluent side of the return pump because this was the best option at the time. I would like to create a more consistent system and I think a dosing pump would be the answer. If anyone has time to show pictures of the plumbing to the pump and CaRx that would be helpful to me as well.

OP
OP
Lance A. Lot

Lance A. Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more information about this system. This is for a 1600gl system that has a goal of being mostly SPS. I try to keep the effluent rate close to 100ml/min when I make my adjustments. This probably averages me around 60-75ml/min if we were looking at how it runs during the week. I think in the long term I will need a pump that can do 120 ml/min or more. The tank is not even half full of coral and so I assume the demand will eventually more than double.

smoothdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a kamoer fx pump right now but it only goes up to 120ml/min and has gotten loud. I have an ecotech one on standby but I'm not sure that would keep up with your need either. I'd look out for a medical grade pump or double up on hobby grade pumps and T off the line and run each at half needed total flow rate.

smoothdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once demand gets high enough, you'll probably be able to run the effluent line wide open and regulate ph in the reactor to meet demand

OP
OP
Lance A. Lot

Lance A. Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of running the small neptune PMUP and dialing back the flow with a needle valve? Its not my favorite option but I am limited on what I can get based on approved suppliers.

smoothdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valves always clog in my experience. Might get away with one if you pre-filter the valve, but then that's another maintenance step

breutus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been just about to pull the trigger on my calc reactor pump. Only debating between two with a ton of research. It’s either the Kamoer FX-STP or is find a used masterflex on eBay. Even used they are twice the money but everyone I talk to says it’s a drastically better pump. Honestly in that big of a system you may have to look at one of the larger masterflex or have two kamoer running it. But man the prices on those MF are ridiculous…

I have debated doing a needle valve with a couple of prestaged filters but even with that I haven’t found many people that are not constantly tinkering their flow rate…

Ultraman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine open with ph of 6.8 and it stays consistent. I do think the peristaltic pumps are a good investment if not needing high flow rates.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back