Peroxide use for flatworms on hammer coral????

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just bought a frag of hammer coral and during aclimation noticed flatworms crawling all on it. I do not have a coral dip yet sadly to say i was gonna get some from the same LFS as the frag but they mentioned a dip ive never heard before and even seemed unsure if i could even use it so yeah red flag didnt buy it.. My question is can i do a 1-10 peroxide dip in the meantime before i can get to order a really good dip to have on hand.. Please help..

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry can not help but I would let the LFS know in less than an enthusiastic manner that they have an issue and they are passing that issue onto their customers.. Depends on the FW type but since it's on that coral type I suspect that it's an invasive type. Now they'll want to sell you FW Exits, a Wrasse and a dip, how convenient.

Good luck and I would edit the title to attract peroxide users.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry can not help but I would let the LFS know in less than an enthusiastic manner that they have an issue and they are passing that issue onto their customers.. Depends on the FW type but since it's on that coral type I suspect that it's an invasive type. Now they'll want to sell you FW Exits, a Wrasse and a dip, how convenient.

Good luck and I would edit the title to attract peroxide users.
How do i do that

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have to do it, so I will if that is ok with you. :)

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look ill be honest im alittle mad already because the fish store its self refuses to answer its phone so at this point i really just need some kind of guidence on this topic... Because i really have just 2 options straight in the display with no peroxide dip or vice versa.. As long as that dilueted mix wont harm it that much but get the worms on it off ill do it and next week ill have a real dip ready... I just dont want this frag to die...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not dipped a hammer in peroxide.
A
Quick search says probably not peroxide.
In my dip tool kit I have more than one dip soloution when in doubt.

You may need to look into some revive at this point.
Or try Bayer. Just rinse very very very well.
IMO if it has a plug remove it if you use Bayer.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not dipped a hammer in peroxide.
A
Quick search says probably not peroxide.
In my dip tool kit I have more than one dip soloution when in doubt.

You may need to look into some revive at this point.
Or try Bayer. Just rinse very very very well.
IMO if it has a plug remove it if you use Bayer.
Its just skeleton no plug.. Ive googled it but the horror stories i see are doing a 50/50 mix... So yeah that seems extream.. Im just wanting a 10% mix real quick to flush the existing worms on it off because there is quite a bit... And i know like i said i was gonna get dip from the same store i bought but they didnt know anything about there own product or even sure if it would work on hitch hikers because thats what i was scared of.. But lesson learned... Doubt ill go to these people again.. And it sucks ive been a customer for years..

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. It's why Its most often reccomended to be a bit smarter than the lfs. That way we all can still shop at the dumb ones.

The thing is on the quick swish it won't or may not have much effect on the worms because of the way peroxide works. It's not a poison. It's burning / oxidising soft tissues and fluids in the animal. Son IME it takes a bit of time to do. Minutes usually. The caution is will it effect the soft tissue of that particular coral. I don't know.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this with euphyllia.
They all died within a few weeks.

I can't honestly say that was the only reason, but it has never left my mind.

There could've been other factors, as that tank wasnt doing well, but I will never do it again regardless

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i finally got ahold of the manager and bassically.. He told me to do a freshwater dip and blow the heads with a baster lightly then rinse and put in tank. He assured me he did it to all his corals every time as a dip meathod and assured me if the frag didnt make i would be reinversed for my money.. That aside i went and did it.. The coral is now producing a huge mucas coat.. I think i regret doing it now...

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the mean time ill keep you guys updated on the coral and LFS at the moment ima go sit in a corner and pray.. Because even though they may refund my money i still dont like the fact i may have just killed this animal because of my own negligence..

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was one of the corals i wanted till i heard how out of control it gets..
I have mine on old mag floats on the side of the tank. They covered the mag float and now when they spread onto the glass I just scrape them off.

Want a cup?:D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back