Peroxide: Will it really kill Hair Algae and have you used it?

Have you ever used Peroxide to kill hair algae?

• Yes and it worked

Votes: 229 35.6%
  • Yes but it didn't work

Votes: 50 7.8%
  • No never tried it

Votes: 364 56.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's talk H202 today, better known as Hydrogen peroxide! I can't offer that much information as I have never used it but I know many of you have and I would like for us to discuss it today!

1. Have you ever used peroxide to kill hair algae and how did it work for you?

2. How did you dose or apply the peroxide to your water?

3. Did you see any ill effects of using peroxide to any other tank inhabitants?

Peroxie Kill Hair Algae.jpg

GtiKyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing 1ml per 10 gals for the last couple days, at night when the lights are out. I've got turf algae in some areas, and some red cyano.

Can't say it's working just yet. The only impact i see is all my zoas immediately close up, and then reopen about 30 mins later. So I'm going to keep at it, and then switch back to vibrant when i see some results.

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turn off all flow and squirt 2ml at the base. It will start to bubble and turn white after a day or two. Do not use too much at once. To kill a clump it may take 2-3 applications over the course of a 2-3 weeks.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started broadcast dosing my frag tank that is getting overrun and have been photo documenting. I'm only on day 3 but hope to have a nice update in a few weeks. I turned off the connection from the frag tank to the main for this experiment of course. :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really want to know if it does work because I currently have Dinos and many forums say I should use peroxide to eliminate them
I recommend you go here. These methods (as there are slightly different methods depending on what dino species you have) are tried and true.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend you go here. These methods (as there are slightly different methods depending on what dino species you have) are tried and true.

Thanks for the suggestion

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide on dinos has not worked for me. The thread is super thick and it’s hard to understand what actually works.
That being said in the original question peroxiding GHA was quite successful knocked a bunch off in my sump somewhat unintentionally and caused a nitrate spike

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just turn off all flow and squirt 2ml at the base. It will start to bubble and turn white after a day or two. Do not use too much at once. To kill a clump it may take 2-3 applications over the course of a 2-3 weeks.
Can you squirt directly on a patch that's consuming a zoa colony? Will Zoas be effected , of course trying to avoid hitting a zoa directly in the mouth.

Earthquake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used peroxide at a dosage rate of 1 ML per 10 gl. per day. broadcast. it works slowly, however you will notice that it does something to your sanded bacteria which is not good. i switched to Vibrant dosing 2x per week and also using phosguard as one of the culprits of the algae is high phosphates. Vey good results thus far. Im currently on week 2.5 and results are amazing. my algae is gone and my overflows are also getting cleaned out almost to new. Give it a shot if peroxide doesn't give you the results your looking for. IM happy. hope this helps.

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide on dinos has not worked for me. The thread is super thick and it’s hard to understand what actually works.
That being said in the original question peroxiding GHA was quite successful knocked a bunch off in my sump somewhat unintentionally and caused a nitrate spike
Increase phosphate. Reefroids

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Base on my experience with treating HA and daily dosing with peroxide, it only keep it under control and will not rid of it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the links in this thread chart one heck of a range of peroxide applications. Interestingly we don't follow the common path, we almost never dose peroxide to the tank water.

peroxide saved my reefbowl at one point, I consider it the most important reefing tool I have ever been shown. The first time I heard about it was 2010 on a blog post by Justin Credabel. I got to meet him at aquashella and though I was a random dude, I smiled ear to ear for our selfie lol

Acartia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you squirt directly on a patch that's consuming a zoa colony? Will Zoas be effected , of course trying to avoid hitting a zoa directly in the mouth.
I occasionally remove the rocks and spray it with peroxide. The rocks have had zoas and star polyps and it stresses them for a couple days but has not killed them.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of the most important factors about peroxide use is that the whole tank needs to be cleaned, and the filthy GHA fuel removed from crevices and sand, or dosing anything isn't going to help much

peroxide is yet another reason for people to be hands off, and try things through the water. We open in the thread how that condition is the cause of the gha, and the need for the tool.

being hands on is what cures GHA, not the tool, I could have had them use a blue jet flame torch and attain the same ends/peroxide is just faster and more thorough.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide is unforgiving and oxidizes everything it comes in contact with.

Royy13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried dosing peroxide. It really didn’t do too much unless I put it directly on the algae. It will get rid of it, but it will come back. I was using 20 ml in my 40 gallon with no effect on the tank inhabitants. I have heard that shrimp are sensitive to it, but mine was fine at this dosage. I did it for 2 weeks twice a day with 20ml each dose.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really want to know if it does work because I currently have Dinos and many forums say I should use peroxide to eliminate them
Peroxide works in some cases but Dinos are a result of no measurable Nitrates and Phosphates. Raise those up through increased feeding or dosing them back as the 1st step to eliminating the cause. Any other treatment will only be temporary if you don't solve for the cause.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what needs to be discussed is, what to do after dosing h2o2. For example, nutrient dosing, pod additions, phyto, bacteria dosing, etc.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back