Peroxide: Will it really kill Hair Algae and have you used it?

Have you ever used Peroxide to kill hair algae?

• Yes and it worked

Votes: 229 35.6%
  • Yes but it didn't work

Votes: 50 7.8%
  • No never tried it

Votes: 364 56.6%

• Total voters

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a marine-land DD300 , I i had a massive outbreak of GHA , Cyano , started adding 1ml. per 10 gal.
( 450 gal. TWV. ) in conjunction with Flux Rx , that was 6 weeks ago this Friday and i have to say i am 99.5 %
Algae free and zero Cyano . I cut the dosage down this week to 25ml. daily as a maintenance and i have not seen my tank more clear in over a year ! My wife even says it looks like a brand new tank

unless i see some adverse affects or facts that back up to NOT add Hydrogen peroxide this will be a daily added benefit .

volcano1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve sprayed rock after scrubbing. It turns roots red , then goes away.

nickprodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk H202 today, better known as Hydrogen peroxide! I can't offer that much information as I have never used it but I know many of you have and I would like for us to discuss it today!

1. Have you ever used peroxide to kill hair algae and how did it work for you?

2. How did you dose or apply the peroxide to your water?

3. Did you see any ill effects of using peroxide to any other tank inhabitants?

Peroxie Kill Hair Algae.jpg
I have used this and it works great, Blue Vet Flux Rx 4000 mg . Takes about 2 weeks to fully clear. Worked on GHA and the weird turf algea. I have a mixed reef and didn't affect any live stock.

Kernowzx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using vibrant and it was initially successful but turf algae came back again and again. Will try peroxide in the Eel tank and monitor!

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used the hands on approach, removed rock and applied, sps frags were still attached, just applied around it carefully. Also drained tank and applied to glass. Took it out completely.

champyeti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scrubbed my GHA-infested rocks with peroxide outside the tank. Algae was all gone.

Of course the real solution was maintaining better parameters to keep it from coming back once it took hold and I couldnt shake it without the peroxide scrubs. The peroxide worked as a "reset" to get the rocks clean but of course doesnt fix the issues that caused GHA. Which, I am happy to report, is now contained only to my fuge if it grows at all.

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you squirt directly on a patch that's consuming a zoa colony? Will Zoas be effected , of course trying to avoid hitting a zoa directly in the mouth.
Zoa's will be fine. Use a syringe to Target the base of the algae. If bubbles start rising up your are doing it right. Only 2-3ml per application once a week. It will die. Let it sit for 5-10 minute with pumps off.

Jrreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use VIBRANT that product really works it will clean all your rock structure from turf algae bubble algae hair algae down side it will kill your macro alge too

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I direct dose H2O2 to algae in my frag systems. They have a much smaller clean up crew, so when my nutrients to creep up i get hair algae in there. I like to keep my total dose of 12% h2o2 to 1ml per 20 gallons of the total system. Anything more then that and my nems get ticked. The h202 will bubble up on the algae. I turn the flow back on after 20 minutes or so. The algae dies, turns white, and is either eaten by the cuc or falls off.

Dave

ReeferSpot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really want to know if it does work because I currently have Dinos and many forums say I should use peroxide to eliminate them
Peroxide has helped me rid my tank of Dinos on a few occasion. Only dose after the lights have been off for a while. I also used a cheap $12 Amazon UV light during the night which I'm sure didn't do much but between the Peroxide and UV they would be gone in a few days.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this one too

thats our most recent turnaround using it

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let the official record on peroxide reflect this fact:

no where on the internet has it ever been shown that peroxide harms filter bac, and we even track gross overdoses where the tank still managed ammonia.

its harmfulness is now in question considering we're eight years into using it in thousands of doses, many of those are in the peroxide thread linked. patterns are gold, outcome pics are gold.

the weakest animal in reefing to peroxide is the lysmata shrimp, and no fish we keep are known sensitives when it is dosed into the water.

I would also like to heartily thank TMZ and Disc-1 from reefcentral, for their continued support and motivation regarding peroxide dosing in the reef tank and spotlighting its beneficial effects in the hobby.

Last edited:

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to drain down the tank for coral removal & squirted the back glass above the water along with the Sea Swirl returns. Algae gone. Also used it on a few rocks removed for this purpose, again, algae gone.

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I specifically spot treated with it and it worked fantastic. Something I surmised from use was. Turn off flow, only use a couple mls per spot treatedment. Get yourself some hermit crabs to manage. I spot treated and used about 100 hermit crabs to manage. Yes I follow the unwritten rule of 1 or 2 per gallon of water.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its amazing that peroxide seated itself as a permanent reef tool despite the outcry when it was first mentioned as a legit tool.

There has never been a more unwelcoming current in this hobby than there was against peroxide; purely results driven outcome. Reefers on the moon now know about it Disc!! Nice teamwork Sir.

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It worked very well for me when applied with syringe or foam q-tip directly onto GHA, green bubble and green turf, kinda worked against bryopsis. Big warning- it killed the base of the bryopsis, not the whole frond, which broke off and found itself reseeding in other places.
Dosing made the water clear, but very little effect on the algae.

All dosing did was kill my cleaner shrimp... I uncovered the circa 2016 thread on here about h2o2 and shrimp a day too late. I think it may have stunted a couple of acan lords, they never grew well after that (but the micro- and blastomussas next to them were fine).

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I might add, h2o2 is now part of my coral dip-and-quarantine regimen, along with iodine and coralRx. Full 3% strength peroxide from the bottom of the plug right up to where the coral flesh starts for 30 sec, followed by a toothbrushing and sw rinse before QT. I hate bryopsis that much.

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what strength of peroxide are you using? I think there is 3% and 12%? I used the typical stuff found in grocery store after reading an article that said to get the stronger stuff. But I had it handy so just experimented. It kinda bubbled around the algae but never done anything great. I was going to go to amazon and order stronger dose but then read an article on melev’s site and ordered it instead. Can’t remember the name, it’s supposed to be here by end of week.
Funny unreleated in a way story. I done a water change the other day and my 2 clowns absolutely love the hair algae. They’ve hosted in it ever since it went wild. One of the clowns kept “biting” me while I was trying to pull it out. He was super aggressive and he’s never been like that. While I had the net out trying to scoop algae out, he was coming almost out of the water at me! And I have a RBTA that they stay as far away as possible from

Back