Peroxide: Will it really kill Hair Algae and have you used it?

Have you ever used Peroxide to kill hair algae?

• Yes and it worked

Votes: 229 35.6%
  • Yes but it didn't work

Votes: 50 7.8%
  • No never tried it

Votes: 364 56.6%

• Total voters

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you pointed out a great detail for peroxide, when its bubbling thats not necessarily going to mean it melts a target. GHA melts usually 24-48 hours after contact while hard red algae take up to 9 days to show the classic neon red coloration then they quickly bleach and die.

peroxide is not expected to be an instant kill.

it only bubbles when a strain of bacteria that are peroxidase positive are present on the place peroxide is added to. Put 3% in palm of your hand/no bubble, peroxidase-positive bacteria arent part of the typical palm biome lol

but inside a cut/froth city. peroxidase is found in cells other than bacteria too.

Im sure there are chemical interactions between peroxide and some substrates that bubble independently from presence of an enzyme, but by and large peroxide bubbles because it contacts peroxidase trying to neutralize it.

Peroxide is produced in photosynthesis and in respiration pathways, we need ways to offset it. whether those bacteria are found on a given algae sample might range tank to tank; its effect on the algae is still the same within the time frames, bubbling is no indication of it working on a plant.

i must infer that lysmata shrimp have no known internal peroxidase production pathways/instant doom.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is part of the ecosystem. Fix your ecosystem and as the tank matures the hair algae will go away. Patience is the key. Trying to Kill the hair algae, versus it going away as part of the tank maturation actually prolongs the problem IMO.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more fun peroxide facts:

3% is kid water.

we use 35% as the tool in some fix jobs because some people are not playing around with their targets, they want the moab effect. 35% provides that. They found using other means just didnt work, hardly anyone starts with peroxide, they arrive there after for-sure recommends don't pan out. we get only back alley work at night pretty much...

Since any person here can walk into a health food store/refrigerated isle and purchase a fluid so dangerous you can't own it in canada or england, we might as well discuss 35% pros and cons.

its pros are, its a dang buzzsaw and still doesnt alter filtration abilities.

the cons, it can blind you with one drop and they're crazy for selling it otc. wear eye protection or your corneas will look like microwaved egg whites.

Mushroom corals are immune to peroxide, in fact it causes them to divide and speed up pedal laceration. here's me putting 35% directly inside my pico reef, the bleed off from the 35% flows across my coral banded shrimp, who was not affected at all he was habituated to testing frequently with it. the surface of the red mushroom I put it on=covered in peroxidase apparently and the mushroom was directly open and fine within an hour of refill. This was about 2-3 mils of 35% into one gallon of water, a mega dose we've worked up to in testing. I still drained out the wastewater, but that shrimp was swimming in 35% for a decent while and he was all bubbly. lived for 5 years in the vase.

35% is a lab grade caustic agent. when it contacts skin for two hours you will be certain you wont let it contact again. I once got some on my hand and when it turned white I messaged Randy in a fit asking if I'd get nerve damage.

I now have strains of blueberry montipora and red monti that are immune to peroxide at 35%, they can take a direct hit, will bleach, and then come back in 3 months to full color. I experiment with habituation of reef organisms to peroxide for extended periods.

the vase reef has had more peroxide passed through it than any reef ever made, fact.

Last edited:

eric.tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had horrible GHA at one point and was unable to eliminate it. My base problem was a lack of flow in the tank and by the time i had realized and corrected the issue, the GHA had already bonded to my live rock. I removed my live rock and scrubbed it first without peroxide and it ended up coming back. I then used a solution of 3:1 water/peroxide. I removed the affected rocks, removed the large chunks, scrubbed them down using a brush and toothbrush, applied the peroxide, let it marinate on the rock for a few minuets, and used RO to rinse the rocks. Havent seen it since, except for my recently added algae scrubber. As long as it stays down there, i'm happy!

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zoa's will be fine. Use a syringe to Target the base of the algae. If bubbles start rising up your are doing it right. Only 2-3ml per application once a week. It will die. Let it sit for 5-10 minute with pumps off.
I have a few large grow out disk I'd like to try this on. Since I can remove or move them easily, could I do this application in a bucket separate from my system. If so, how long should I wait to place back in the system after applying the peroxide? I'm not oppose to applying it in my system, just curious.

Ksmithphotos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk H202 today, better known as Hydrogen peroxide! I can't offer that much information as I have never used it but I know many of you have and I would like for us to discuss it today!

1. Have you ever used peroxide to kill hair algae and how did it work for you?

2. How did you dose or apply the peroxide to your water?

3. Did you see any ill effects of using peroxide to any other tank inhabitants?

Peroxie Kill Hair Algae.jpg
i always remove an soak for 10 min for corals, an if i have to pull rock, i soak it let it set for 10 and scrub with tooth brush, rinse with bucket i keep from last waterchange.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it to kill Blackbeard algae as well in a freshwater tank however I’ve always taken the items with algae on it out of the tank and soaked the items in a solution rather than dosing to my tank

Kaldos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never dosed peroxide directly to the tank, but have dropped frags and rocks (not live rocks) with Zoas and/or Acans into a container of peroxide (for two minutes) with great results. Fizzes like crazy, then rinse in clean saltwater and return to tank. Hair algae is pretty much gone after one application. Have never had a Zoa (or Acan) get too upset about it. Not an option with live rock however....

FWIW - I've had good luck with Vibrant (for hair algae in the rest of the tank).

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was up and running, @brandon429 helped me with some problems and peroxide provided the answers. If you can get the rock out, scrape or Dremel away the nuisance, then wet the area with peroxide, it will stay gone. I couldn't get all of my rock out and started broadcasting peroxide every day. It took several weeks for the effects to be noticed, but it started killing off the algae and my problems went away.

When I return to the hobby, peroxide will be part of my quarantine efforts.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d like to make this a part of my dip process for new additions. Could someone recommend a mixture/solution, length of dip time and whether or not to rinse after dipping in a peroxide / tank water mixture ? This would be following a Bayer dip and rinse.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, and it worked out great. Algae started turning white within a few hours.

I filled a syringe with the recommended amount for my water volume (1ml/gal), shut off all flow, squirted the syringe directly on the areas to treat, and waited about 20 to turn the flow back on. The algae started bubbling immediately.

A few corals closed up for about an hour or two, but otherwise I didn’t see any adverse impact on the inhabitants.

ceruleanspiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1- Sort of? It worked temporarily, but grew back just as thick after anywhere from a week to a month (depending on application), despite weekly water changes and using a GFO reactor.

2-The first attempts were diluted. Approximately 50/50 peroxide and water, applied to rocks directly after removing them from the water along with being brushed with a toothbrush and plucking as much as I could. I then rinsed them in fresh mixed saltwater and replaced them. The GHA went away for about a week with this method. The second rounds were undiluted out-of-the-bottle 3% applications, to rocks directly after removing them from the water with plucking and brushing. That worked for about a month and the grow back was slower.

3- Not to my knowledge. I did lose some hermit crabs but I'm not sure what from. I had a Triton test and I have some iron and zinc and a couple other things that could have impacted that. I'm using polyfilter now so hopefully that will be sorted.

I also used Vibrant after the applications, and that seemed to have no impact after the first couple of days where the GHA would get a bit pale- but that's it. I finally used Flux RX 2000 and that worked on almost all of it and all rocks/shells/surfaces have remained GHA free for a couple months now. Hopefully the GFO will keep it under control. I even have a bunch of coralline algae spots on the back and on some of my rocks/shells now.

BigBossReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try peroxide out of desperation about 1 year ago. I dosed my tank at the recommended rate that you find on all of the forums and the hair algae turned white and died. Unfortunately, it also wiped out about 35% of my acros. The LPS did not care too much about it but my powder blue tang did. Lost him about 3 weeks later. I wouldn’t do it again, it’s not permanent and very risky. If you have algae problems the best way to get rid of it is NOPOX (with a nice skimmer) and use an algae scrubber (I use the Santa Monica Surf2xx and Surf4x). This will get rid of GHA guaranteed (within a couple months). You just have to be careful not to bottom out the nitrate and phosphate with the NOPOX. Zero nutrients will kill corals just as fast as having too much.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem with that particular run was that no work threads showing predicted outcomes were consulted, the dosing just occurred but I'd offer that refusing to dose until you can find 10x applications on file and see how they turned out is a better bet. systems that are high in GHA have lots of pent up detritus and waste (in the actual algae fronds) and pent up in the rocks up under the algae. Releasing all that stuff in a chemical mix via water dosing/not advised.

The linked work thread on page one shows eight years of sps/lps tank work for planning options, handy to at least track outcomes before we begin a plan.

we dont dose peroxide in our work thread up front, we have them clean their entire tank first, and then dose it in the clean condition. we require hands on, since hands off is 100% the cause of all GHA issues in reefing. we require the reefer to do the #1 thing they do not want to do, which is work the tank directly and clean it all up before adding peroxide directly to the rocks, skip water dosing.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would really want to know if it does work because I currently have Dinos and many forums say I should use peroxide to eliminate them
I beat dinos with Peroxide. It does work for dinos

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. Have you ever used peroxide to kill hair algae and how did it work for you? I used it for dinos but noticed GHA thinning out. Either was Peroxide or dinos to do this. I finished it with Vibrant that got rid of GHA

2. How did you dose or apply the peroxide to your water? 1 ml per 10 gallons at night when lights are out

3. Did you see any ill effects of using peroxide to any other tank inhabitants? Acros a little unhappy but had to get rid of issues or there would be no acro

Scott's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it many times and at one point when I was at my witts end. I decided to try to try the 3% and nothing happened when I dosed it I didn't notice anything so I figured I would order the food grade 12% h2o2 and started dosing it 1ml per 10 gallons and was amazed at the results. My tank was a mixed reef w/lots of bubble tip nems and every time I dosed my nems loved it and would blow up massive. I dosed that tank for several months and I have to say it was the best thing I have dosed my tank. To me it actually seemed to help my rock clear up all the turf algae and coraline algae explode. I have no fear at all in it and all I experiences with h2o2 is nothing but positive. Don't waste money on otc h2o2 though order 12% food grade.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it on a rock when I noticed it starting to grown hair algae again. I removed the rock and poured some peroxide on a tooth Burch and scrubbed the rock. I then dipped it in some RODI water and placed it back in the tank. No I’ll effects to the tank and nothing growing on the rock now.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back