Peroxide: Will it really kill Hair Algae and have you used it?

Have you ever used Peroxide to kill hair algae?

• Yes and it worked

Votes: 229 35.6%
  • Yes but it didn't work

Votes: 50 7.8%
  • No never tried it

Votes: 364 56.6%

• Total voters

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1- Sort of? It worked temporarily, but grew back just as thick after anywhere from a week to a month (depending on application), despite weekly water changes and using a GFO reactor.

2-The first attempts were diluted. Approximately 50/50 peroxide and water, applied to rocks directly after removing them from the water along with being brushed with a toothbrush and plucking as much as I could. I then rinsed them in fresh mixed saltwater and replaced them. The GHA went away for about a week with this method. The second rounds were undiluted out-of-the-bottle 3% applications, to rocks directly after removing them from the water with plucking and brushing. That worked for about a month and the grow back was slower.

3- Not to my knowledge. I did lose some hermit crabs but I'm not sure what from. I had a Triton test and I have some iron and zinc and a couple other things that could have impacted that. I'm using polyfilter now so hopefully that will be sorted.

I also used Vibrant after the applications, and that seemed to have no impact after the first couple of days where the GHA would get a bit pale- but that's it. I finally used Flux RX 2000 and that worked on almost all of it and all rocks/shells/surfaces have remained GHA free for a couple months now. Hopefully the GFO will keep it under control. I even have a bunch of coralline algae spots on the back and on some of my rocks/shells now.
What X dose Flux did you use and how long before you preformed WC?

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing 1ml per 10 gals for the last couple days, at night when the lights are out. I've got turf algae in some areas, and some red cyano.

Can't say it's working just yet. The only impact i see is all my zoas immediately close up, and then reopen about 30 mins later. So I'm going to keep at it, and then switch back to vibrant when i see some results.
It will work on both. Try adding it directly to the algae or bacteria. You will see it working

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2000- whatever the package said. I think 72 hours? The GHA continued to fade for about a week and a half after that. By 2 weeks out, it was 99% gone.
Thanks! I just dosed Reef Flux , but I'll try the 2000 if this doesn't get my GHA. Also going to try this peroxide tomorrow on a few frags.

Bgmrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1ml per 10gal in my 13.5 gal nano for hair algae. I removed the few rocks that i could and scrubbed em and sprayed h202 on them. Put tank back together and went lights out for 2days and 1ml h2o2. Worked for me and water was super clear after and i use every now and again still at half that dose. Water always looks super clean and clear in day or 2 for a long time. I do water changes every 2 weeks and my nano has no skimmer. I have fish and frags and have not seen any negative effects. Im only goin to use if or when i feel needed moving forward.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Used it and it worked.

I took rocks out and manually removed as much as possible. Spot treated the leftover GHA on rock with peroxide and after about a minute rinsed with saltwater, then returned rock to tank.

I did this a few rocks at a time.

Johnfromoregon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really want to know if it does work because I currently have Dinos and many forums say I should use peroxide to eliminate them
I put in a couple of sea urchinsAnd they gave my 32 gallon tank a slow haircut. I don’t have the hair algae problem anymore. I do supplement their diet with some seaweed. Otherwise they do a good job in cleaning the tank.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works for Dino’s and cyno. Helps to knock it down so you can use additional methods to beat it. some corals will close up for a bit. I’m sure it probably plays havoc with the bacteria ? ?

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a really bad gha all over the tank I follow the 1ml per 10gal but I turn off pumps and then spit spray it it will literally dissolve the algae this way also I have directly sprayed it on sps and Zoas with the only reaction was closing for a day at most usually they open with In an hour or so
Also if u dose 1ml per 10gallons I. To the water it’s self it polishes the water and keeps algae at bay

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O2 only works if you physically pull the rock and spray the H2O2 directly on the GHA and then scrub with a toothbrush. I leave the H2O2 bubbling on the LR outside the tank fir 30mins.
If I have a sensitive coral I squirt that coral with tank water every 5mins

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide on dinos has not worked for me. The thread is super thick and it’s hard to understand what actually works.
That being said in the original question peroxiding GHA was quite successful knocked a bunch off in my sump somewhat unintentionally and caused a nitrate spike
100 percent h2o3 regular will not kill Dinos as dip

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back