Perry's 90 Gallon Acro Dominant Bommie

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a halide/t5 hybrid lol but whew my room would be a oven lol. I'm just more so concerned about coverage. I know they say a 18"x18" for sps with the xr15,so I think if I can get at least 250-300 at the top of my main island where I plan to keep my acro's I should be fine I suppose. The other edges of the tank is where everything else shall go.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang,
Just did a sump clean, I cannot believe how dirty it was, skimmer was clogging, not pulling efficiently, just gross. So I am going to stop using mesh, and go back to felt, and 100 micron. I am pretty certain this will clean up the system and naturally lower nutrients. With the tank running bb, and no detritus building in display, it has to settle somewhere, and the sump is exactly where. While the sock probably won't catch everything, I have mj1200 vacuum which is how I cleaned the sump, right into a filter sock, if you haven't tried these, they are pretty nice tool for the reef tool kit ;)

20220507_104421.jpg
Been thinking of getting one of these for a long time now. The turkey baster sure makes it a chore lol.

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Perry,did you noticed any changes after stopping Aquaforest ProBios ? I have been using since beginning of my tank and thinking to continue or to stop it.my acros frags are doing great so far.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a halide/t5 hybrid lol but whew my room would be a oven lol. I'm just more so concerned about coverage. I know they say a 18"x18" for sps with the xr15,so I think if I can get at least 250-300 at the top of my main island where I plan to keep my acro's I should be fine I suppose. The other edges of the tank is where everything else shall go.

Funny thing is, I still have my t5 unit, ati 6 bulbs. But, the ambient heat in the room had the AC constantly running, so quite a difference with all led. Under my current lighting, I have not seen a color down, or slow down in growth. Honestly, wish I would have been more open minded. I was a t5 lifer, lol.
Have you considered just going rhe xr30 route? I think one of those would be more than ample, kind of take any questions out of the equation. I find that the manufacturer suggestion, should be halved. The Reefbreeders are affordable, and again, Tim(therman), and Adam with BC use them. I am pleasantly surprised :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry,did you noticed any changes after stopping Aquaforest ProBios ? I have been using since beginning of my tank and thinking to continue or to stop it.my acros frags are doing great so far.

No slow down in color, growth, or health. Personally, I just needed the biome to settle, something, bacterial related was off, so to me, it made sense to remember basics. Since returning to really, the old Berlin method, I am seeing great results. So, I am not sure that for me, there's really any reason to go back. I guess time will tell...
Cheers

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No slow down in color, growth, or health. Personally, I just needed the biome to settle, something, bacterial related was off, so to me, it made sense to remember basics. Since returning to really, the old Berlin method, I am seeing great results. So, I am not sure that for me, there's really any reason to go back. I guess time will tell...
Cheers
Thanks Perry

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is,the guy who I bought my light from had numerous xr30's but at the time I was planning on going with a standard 10g so it wouldn't have made sense.

The light should be here this week some time,maybe this weekend I can go to Top Shelf and rent their par meter get some numbers taken and see what my plan of action should be. Worst care scenario I can sell the xr15 for way more than I paid and go T5 hybrid.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Perry

No problem!
So the chat about bacteria and carbon dosing compelled me to test nutrients. I feel the tank looks great, corals growing and coloring nicely. I just tested, and .30ppm P04 and 25ppm N03. My initial instinct was to start dosing, but instead, I will use 3 drops of LC every 24 hours until P04 is back to .12ppm. Fun stuff ;)

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No problem!
So the chat about bacteria and carbon dosing compelled me to test nutrients. I feel the tank looks great, corals growing and coloring nicely. I just tested, and .30ppm P04 and 25ppm N03. My initial instinct was to start dosing, but instead, I will use 3 drops of LC every 24 hours until P04 is back to .12ppm. Fun stuff ;)
Great..I am just dosing Pro bios and my frags looking great.for phosphates not sure if Kalk is lowering in my tank or bacteria I always get 0.05-0.15 phosphates and nitrates 10-15ppm with heavy feeding.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great..I am just dosing Pro bios and my frags looking great.for phosphates not sure if Kalk is lowering in my tank or bacteria I always get 0.05-0.15 phosphates and nitrates 10-15ppm with heavy feeding.
I would think it's the Pro Bio that is lowering your nitrates

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 weeks since the switch to LED. So far, I am seeing great results and no PAR measurements here, just good ole observation ;) Corals placed in the tank by height on the reef, and species requirements. As a t5 lifer, I am pleasantly surprised at the growth and color results.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
6 weeks since the switch to LED. So far, I am seeing great results and no PAR measurements here, just good ole observation ;) Corals placed in the tank by height on the reef, and species requirements. As a t5 lifer, I am pleasantly surprised at the growth and color results.
Why did ya make the switch ?
What is your setup now

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did ya make the switch ?
What is your setup now

I made the switch for heat concerns living in Florida and summer approaching. I was able to diffuse heat from t5's and running them cool with fans, but the ambient heat caused my AC to run constantly, which I am trying to avoid. Also tank temp was another concern, since the switch, the temp had lowered by 2 degrees.
2 units, Reefbreeders Photon V2 pro 32, and SBREEF Rolan V22, a total of 410 watts. My coverage is front to back, end to end, sps on bottom glass no problem. Pleased nonetheless :)

Back