OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to jinx myself, but since I lived in my home, (9years) I have yet to lose livestock to power outage, even through a couple hurricanes. Being a FL native, I have been through many hurricanes, I know that one day, we will get a whammy. Hurricane Matthew,was brutal, power down 7 days. My tank made it on an inverter and a couple reef pumps, and battery operated air stone. As the summer approaches, and after a few power outages lately, I decided to not buy anything else reef related until I develop a good backup plan. So, here we go... Here is the heart of my new back up plan, going to stock several more propane tanks. $500 brand new, not even started, including 5 extra tanks, a deal I couldn't pass on :)

20220522_103140.jpg

20220522_103320.jpg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to jinx myself, but since I lived in my home, (9years) I have yet to lose livestock to power outage, even through a couple hurricanes. Being a FL native, I have been through many hurricanes, I know that one day, we will get a whammy. Hurricane Matthew,was brutal, power down 7 days. My tank made it on an inverter and a couple reef pumps, and battery operated air stone. As the summer approaches, and after a few power outages lately, I decided to not buy anything else reef related until I develop a good backup plan. So, here we go... Here is the heart of my new back up plan, going to stock several more propane tanks. $500 brand new, not even started, including 5 extra tanks, a deal I couldn't pass on :)

20220522_103140.jpg

20220522_103320.jpg
Any idea how long a propane tank will run your generator? Just wondering bc I bought a trifuel generator after our icepocalypse in feb 2021. I know was burning through 9g of gas a day with my other generator but I was basically powering the entire house…including a pool pump

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how long a propane tank will run your generator? Just wondering bc I bought a trifuel generator after our icepocalypse in feb 2021. I know was burning through 9g of gas a day with my other generator but I was basically powering the entire house…including a pool pump

I will likely run for fridge and some pumps on tank, I am thinking roughly 24 hours on 5 x 20lb tanks for my wattage. I will be getting a more industrial setup down the line, probably 250lbs. I am trying to avoid running on regular gas, as it destroys motors. Just a bit of piece of mind, usually power companies deployed in advance during hurricanes, but a small price to pay for a back up. That Texas storm you guys went through is an example of "you never know"

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220522_103140.jpg

20220522_103320.jpg
Good plan! Two days out from expected landfall and that would cost you $1,000 -- if you could find one.

The last few Nor'Easters we've had put us out of power for 5, 3 and 7 days. The hurricane (Sandy) was 10 days. We have a 1,000lb buried LPG tank hooked up to a 30 kw Cummins. I just make sure it is full when the weather people get all worked up.

I wish the utility companies would just bury the darn lines and be done with it.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan! Two days out from expected landfall and that would cost you $1,000 -- if you could find one.

The last few Nor'Easters we've had put us out of power for 5, 3 and 7 days. The hurricane (Sandy) was 10 days. We have a 1,000lb buried LPG tank hooked up to a 30 kw Cummins. I just make sure it is full when the weather people get all worked up.

I wish the utility companies would just bury the darn lines and be done with it.

My folks live in one of those nicer gated senior communities, they live 2 miles away, they have buried power lines, and every time we lost power here, they maintained, agreed Scott!
I am looking into getting a large tank buried here this week, not wanting to go and fill individual propane tanks, but it's a start :) We have been lucky here in FL for 4-5 previous seasons, a few scares, but lucky ,lol. I have a feeling about this season...

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats deinitely a good idea,especially for this season. I have a feeling we are going to get no less than 2 direct hits this year. How severe,idk but I'm willing to bet with how mild of a year we have had its going to be nasty.

Everyone at work thinks I am stupid,but I stay in tune with the weather solely for good measure. Being prepared is smart,the others will get caught with their pants down looking crazy.

Shoot the storm that rolled thru Sanford yesterday/last night was pretty good and my neighborhood was FLOODED. My tires were up to the rim in water so a good 5"+ of water collected in my parking lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats deinitely a good idea,especially for this season. I have a feeling we are going to get no less than 2 direct hits this year. How severe,idk but I'm willing to bet with how mild of a year we have had its going to be nasty.

Everyone at work thinks I am stupid,but I stay in tune with the weather solely for good measure. Being prepared is smart,the others will get caught with their pants down looking crazy.

Shot the storm that rolled thru Sanford yesterday/last night was pretty good and my neighborhood was FLOODED. My tires were up to the rim in water so a good 5"+ of water collected in my parking lot.

Yeah,
I am 100% in agreement. My surfing buddy, as we call the "Oracle" indicated that we will have a very good fall surf season this year, either La Nina, or El nino, one of the two cycles we are currently in. I lost power last night around 10pm, only for a half hour, but that was it, not going to lose my tank for lack of backup. So I was on CL and found this deal, decided to just go for it :)

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew,that is a gorgeous looking piece for sure !!! Things seem to be slowly pishing out some growth it looks like.

Do you have a par meter handy ?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve,
Feb 6th
20220206_120254.jpg

May 21st
20220521_111442.jpg

So that's a little over 3 months growth, it does appear to be in a growth stride. As far as PAR, not really sure, and no, I don't have one handy. My fixtures are 11" off water surface, and photon is peaking 90% blues, but recently decreased whites from 30% to 25%. Green from 25% to 20%, and red to 10% from 15%. Based on montis coloring on bottom glass, I feel the light is quite strong, I recently dialed back, as I fealt no real benefit in running whites at 30%. The Rolan V22 runs 80% blues, 25% Full spectrum. All of this said, I believe my corals are getting tons of light at the current settings, all corals have adapted, so not really interested in playing with settings. This is likely why everything is balanced in growth and color. But.... You're welcome to bring one by and get values and chat reef :)

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,that is actually significant growth in 3 months. Lowering intesnity have actually accelerate growth even more. Sp would scraping a small area of tissue,but since your growth is actually measurable I wouldn't go that drastic.

Haha I do not own one but once I get the tank filled and my bulbs are burnt in I want to go to TSA and rent one. When I do it I will bring it over and we can shoot some points for sure.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,that is actually significant growth in 3 months. Lowering intesnity have actually accelerate growth even more. Sp would scraping a small area of tissue,but since your growth is actually measurable I wouldn't go that drastic.

Haha I do not own one but once I get the tank filled and my bulbs are burnt in I want to go to TSA and rent one. When I do it I will bring it over and we can shoot some points for sure.

Hi Steve,
Life on the reef, of course there are some that are stubborn, some that stall, some that aren't colored, you know, put 50+ SPS in same tank, and there you go, the numbers game. All in all, everything is growing fairly even, despite a handful that aren't keeping the pace. This project started with all frags, only 5 total sources for corals, and all shipped. I have been lucky to receive mainly chunkier frags, that were quite healthy, this has contributed to the tanks success. I really don't like showing FTS, because it looks like a rock pile right now. Hopefully, the finished product will show my vision. Time will tell :)

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats where the pride in success comes in right ? I haven't found an online vendor that has good enough pieces I want to be able to order from them. I did find a place in Oveido that has some really good pieces for a fair price so when the time comes I will go there. And a place locally has some common pieces for super cheap that I will try as well.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats where the pride in success comes in right ? I haven't found an online vendor that has good enough pieces I want to be able to order from them. I did find a place in Oveido that has some really good pieces for a fair price so when the time comes I will go there. And a place locally has some common pieces for super cheap that I will try as well.

Something Fishy? The owner is super cool, but his name escapes me at the moment, lol... I imagine, since going with a nano sps tank, you have to be quite chosey with selections. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Yesterday, I spent 4 hours re-scaping, the single bommie looked too much like a rock pile. I have always preferred a minimalist approach, but for whatever reason, I let this scape become overwhelming, and too busy. So, I removed about 20 lbs of rock, threw it into my 20 gallon quarantine tank, and went for a 2 island look, with a valley down the center. The left side is larger and reaches about 10" in height. The right side is a small islsnd bommie, reaching 4" in height. And..... I added 40 lbs of Carib Sea Special Grade sand to the tank. I have been pondering this for quite awhile, as I love the look, with open space especially :) The tank is cloudy, but when it settles down, I will post a pic of the new look, which now emphasizes coral over rock ;)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,
Yesterday, I spent 4 hours re-scaping, the single bommie looked too much like a rock pile. I have always preferred a minimalist approach, but for whatever reason, I let this scape become overwhelming, and too busy. So, I removed about 20 lbs of rock, threw it into my 20 gallon quarantine tank, and went for a 2 island look, with a valley down the center. The left side is larger and reaches about 10" in height. The right side is a small islsnd bommie, reaching 4" in height. And..... I added 40 lbs of Carib Sea Special Grade sand to the tank. I have been pondering this for quite awhile, as I love the look, with open space especially :) The tank is cloudy, but when it settles down, I will post a pic of the new look, which now emphasizes coral over rock ;)
Nice! Looking forward to the pics.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back